Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #191
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,972 Times in 7,593 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
The more and more I look at the draft I hope we do trade back in the first to acquire a extra second or third.
That's what I've been thinking, too. This is a deep draft, and better to have a late R1 and two R2 picks.

As far as WR goes:
IF they go WR, I like Tavon Austin, WVU.

I know that others want a tall WR, but this kid is dynamic. He is smart, explosive, and a threat from anywhere (can take a short pass the distance, as well as, can be a deep threat).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #192
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
The more and more I look at the draft I hope we do trade back in the first to acquire a extra second or third.
Like anything, there's positives and negatives to it. If Jordan or Mingo is on the board at 17, we can't really afford to give up a prospect like those two. The drop off of pass-rushing talent is significant from the first to the second. Despite what most of the guys on CBS Draft will tell you, guys Corey Lemonier aren't ready to be a premier 3-4 OLB right now.

If we do trade back, I'd love us taking Patterson in the first round. He's just as fast as Wallace, but runs better routes (slightly) and makes better plays in open space. I think this kid has the potential to be a great WR for us, so I wouldn't mind using a first rounder on him despite the heavy amount of defensive talent in this draft.

Assuming this scenario plays out, it would look something like ...

Trade from 17 to 25
R1. Cordarrelle Patterson / Tennessee - WR
R2. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina - RB
R2. David Amerson / NC State Wolfpack - CB converted to FS for us
R3. Nico Johnson / 'Bama - ILB
R4. Robert Lester / 'Bama - SS

I wouldn't be upset with that. However, I'd still take Dion Jordan in the first and Robert Woods in the second as another, more likely scenario.

edit -- I don't know how many of you guys follow Matt Miller on twitter (@nfldraftscout) but he knows his stuff. In his latest mock, he has Arthur Brown being our first round pick and I gotta say, I don't hate it. I'd have to go back and watch some more of this kid to see what's what with him, but saying he's a '... better NFL linebacker [than Te'o]' caught my eye and of course, interested me. Here's what he had to say in his latest mock.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

In last week's mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to pick up Manti Te'o. This week doesn't reward them with Te'o, but they may have a better NFL linebacker in Arthur Brown.

If you haven't seen Brown play yet, do yourself a favor and at least YouTube clips of the Kansas State inside linebacker. Wearing No. 4, Brown has been a wrecking ball for the defense, showing off rare speed moving laterally and great vision to locate and get to the football.

Brown won't enter the league with the hype of Manti Te'o, but he's a more athletic option at inside linebacker. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, that's not a bad thing. Put Brown next to Lawrence Timmons at middle linebacker, and you have a duo to rival the one in San Francisco.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ayoffs/page/18

-- Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

The first thing that jumps out to me is the comparison to Willis and Bowman. I believe that Timmons is probably the most underrated ILB in the NFL right now, but I'm also bias. However, that gets me excited. Timmons is already an outstanding 'Backer and if he could play with someone like Brown that would complement his abilities and give the opportunity to Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt, then our defense just improved mightily with one pick.

Here's a video of Arthur Brown against the Hurricanes:

[youtube]V28z8J3QbtY[/youtube]

Last edited by SteelersCanada; 01-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #193
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Like anything, there's positives and negatives to it. If Jordan or Mingo is on the board at 17, we can't really afford to give up a prospect like those two. The drop off of pass-rushing talent is significant from the first to the second. Despite what most of the guys on CBS Draft will tell you, guys Corey Lemonier aren't ready to be a premier 3-4 OLB right now.

If we do trade back, I'd love us taking Patterson in the first round. He's just as fast as Wallace, but runs better routes (slightly) and makes better plays in open space. I think this kid has the potential to be a great WR for us, so I wouldn't mind using a first rounder on him despite the heavy amount of defensive talent in this draft.

Assuming this scenario plays out, it would look something like ...

Trade from 17 to 25
R1. Cordarrelle Patterson / Tennessee - WR
R2. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina - RB
R2. David Amerson / NC State Wolfpack - CB converted to FS for us
R3. Nico Johnson / 'Bama - ILB
R4. Robert Lester / 'Bama - SS

I wouldn't be upset with that. However, I'd still take Dion Jordan in the first and Robert Woods in the second as another, more likely scenario.

edit -- I don't know how many of you guys follow Matt Miller on twitter (@nfldraftscout) but he knows his stuff. In his latest mock, he has Arthur Brown being our first round pick and I gotta say, I don't hate it. I'd have to go back and watch some more of this kid to see what's what with him, but saying he's a '... better NFL linebacker [than Te'o]' caught my eye and of course, interested me. Here's what he had to say in his latest mock.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

In last week's mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to pick up Manti Te'o. This week doesn't reward them with Te'o, but they may have a better NFL linebacker in Arthur Brown.

If you haven't seen Brown play yet, do yourself a favor and at least YouTube clips of the Kansas State inside linebacker. Wearing No. 4, Brown has been a wrecking ball for the defense, showing off rare speed moving laterally and great vision to locate and get to the football.

Brown won't enter the league with the hype of Manti Te'o, but he's a more athletic option at inside linebacker. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, that's not a bad thing. Put Brown next to Lawrence Timmons at middle linebacker, and you have a duo to rival the one in San Francisco.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ayoffs/page/18

-- Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

The first thing that jumps out to me is the comparison to Willis and Bowman. I believe that Timmons is probably the most underrated ILB in the NFL right now, but I'm also bias. However, that gets me excited. Timmons is already an outstanding 'Backer and if he could play with someone like Brown that would complement his abilities and give the opportunity to Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt, then our defense just improved mightily with one pick.

Here's a video of Arthur Brown against the Hurricanes:

[youtube]V28z8J3QbtY[/youtube]
I saw that article to and made me think about that pick. I do like the kid as a linebacker and drafting him would allows to move back in the first to so do. He is a fast player who is instinctive but like most will need to bulk up just a little but is Someone who would be able to drop in coverage to allow Timmons to do what he does best. The kid can also lay the wood.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #194
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

I think most of us agree that outside and inside linebacker safety and wr r the most pressing needs come this april
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #195
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

A lot of people here seem to think Te'o is the next Brian Urlacher but after watching him get completely manhandled by the Alabama offensive line I just don't see it. He's a big linebacker so he should be a lot stronger then he looked. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but he definatly got pushed around by the Alabama NFL size lineman and needs some serious work before he can start and make an impact
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #196
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,459 Times in 4,031 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Walterfootball is a very knowledgeable and reputable draft site:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

I think this is a good spot for Manti Te'o. He was brutal in the national championship, but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape. He's still the favorite to be the first inside linebacker off the board, and the 16-25 range seems right for him. Besides, this is the type of move the Steelers normally make. They often are able to snag talented prospects who fall to them later in the first round for whatever reason.

The Steelers have shown interest in first-round inside linebackers. They wanted Dont'a Hightower last April, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 overall. Pittsburgh still has to find an inside linebacker because Larry Foote was awful this year. He finished near the top of dubious rankings like missed tackles and touchdowns allowed by players at his position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #197
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

I also would think khaseem Greene could be a good ilb next to timmons although most have him as a olb. A former safety converted to linebacker good in coverage understands coverage, fast and pretty stronger. Get be a steal in late 2 or 3
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #198
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
A lot of people here seem to think Te'o is the next Brian Urlacher but after watching him get completely manhandled by the Alabama offensive line I just don't see it. He's a big linebacker so he should be a lot stronger then he looked. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but he definatly got pushed around by the Alabama NFL size lineman and needs some serious work before he can start and make an impact
That's one game against Alabama. They have an offensive line that NFL teams would love to have.

Like Walterfootball.com said, that shouldn't erase his college career.

The kid can play ball. That doesn't mean he will be a great linebacker in the NFL, it never does with any player in any position. I do think it would be worth the gamble if he is available when we pick.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #199
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

If not taking Chance Warmack ... I love the trade back idea... i'd even trade out of the 1st round, to get a future 1st (CJ Mosely , Anthony Barr , Kyle Van Noy next year)

Using Walterfootball.com new mock to make the selections
Miami has 2 2nds and 2 3rds ... well they want to jump back up in the 1st to secure the best WR Keenan Allen

1st - Trade with Miami - receive their later 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 1st

2nd (48) - Kasheem Green - ILB - Rutgers - I think would be nice ILB with Timmons, could also play outside if needed, tackling machine

2nd (54 from Miami) - David Amerson - FS/CB - NC State - need some splash plays and gives versatility

3rd (77 from Miami) - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Louisiana Tech - Troubled pass but take a flyer on him

3rd (79) - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Plays like a Steeler , Ike getting older , Lewis and Cortez showed they got what it takes, but what about behind them??

4th (108 from Miami) - Mike Gillislee - RB - Flordia - A beast with low miles on the tires, Dwyer and Gillislee would be a good Duo I think, with Gillislee taking over full time duty possibly

4th (112) - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - can run with receivers/ TEs ... and decent tackler ...
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #200
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
If not taking Chance Warmack ... I love the trade back idea... i'd even trade out of the 1st round, to get a future 1st (CJ Mosely , Anthony Barr , Kyle Van Noy next year)

Using Walterfootball.com new mock to make the selections
Miami has 2 2nds and 2 3rds ... well they want to jump back up in the 1st to secure the best WR Keenan Allen

1st - Trade with Miami - receive their later 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 1st

2nd (48) - Kasheem Green - ILB - Rutgers - I think would be nice ILB with Timmons, could also play outside if needed, tackling machine

2nd (54 from Miami) - David Amerson - FS/CB - NC State - need some splash plays and gives versatility

3rd (77 from Miami) - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Louisiana Tech - Troubled pass but take a flyer on him

3rd (79) - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Plays like a Steeler , Ike getting older , Lewis and Cortez showed they got what it takes, but what about behind them??

4th (108 from Miami) - Mike Gillislee - RB - Flordia - A beast with low miles on the tires, Dwyer and Gillislee would be a good Duo I think, with Gillislee taking over full time duty possibly

4th (112) - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - can run with receivers/ TEs ... and decent tackler ...
Although that would me nice. You won't get hat much value trading back especially not all those picks plus a first next year