Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Roethlisberger: Cutler would like working with Arians

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Why exactly is the media still paying so much attention to a guy that has been gone for a while now? I can never seem to remember hearing this much about a guy that is gone.

Arians finds another QB's ass to kiss . . .Does Ben think the QB will like it?

Arians takes a dump . . . What color does Ben think it will be?

Arians predicts a new date for his end of the world party . . .Will Ben be there with his famous beef jerky? . . .oh yea, they no longer endorse him . . .
Rod Woodson? Plax Burress?
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,129 Times in 914 Posts

Why all the bitterness?

Can't any of you see ANY good in this man?
BA has been praised by virtually everyone in media, he's up for coach of the year and he's in demand as a HC and all you can do is wallow in venom and criticism.

As far as being Ben's BFF goes, yes that's absolutely true and there's nothing wrong with that. The reason why Ben has had such a crummy year is because he went from working with a guy who was open-minded, a guy who understood his players and who (from all accounts) had a great personality and was fun to work with, to a morose, "X's and O's" screamer who is trying to do things HIS way even if it costs the team years of ineffective mediocrity.

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing.

Yeah I know, BA didn't coah "Steeler Football" (whatever that is) and he was more like Father Flannagan than Sergeant Hartmann and so what? He got results and his record proves that. He got things out of players by understanding what they were godd at doing rather than trying to shove some "philosophy" down their throats or by drawing "My way or the highway" lines in the sand. He wasn't always successful, but his body of work and the good will that follows him around speaks for itself.

But you guys seem to think that there's something wrong with a coach talking to players rather than screaming at them or that a coach should be giving orders instead of taking suggestions and working with players and that, in my opinion, is ridiculous. This team (offensively) is in disarray not because of injuries or poor execution but because of Haley. He has destroyed the chemistry that existed before and he seems to alienate people on a minute-by-minute basis and that simply isn't going to work.

Chemistry is everything and Haley has none. Ben didn't have a bad year because he's lost his chops or because of injury. He had a bad year because he went from a nurturing environment to a toxic environment and that's not going to change as long as Haley is here. Arians, on the other hand, has gone from a successful run here to yet another successful run in Indy and his star is rising while we're stuck with a black hole.

Arians was and is a good coach and if you can't see that, then you're just not looking (or don't want to). Arians is being praised by many and is in demand while Haley just bounces from team to team leaving disappointment and acrimony in his wake. Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,623 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Anyone have a ball gag Marcellus Wallace and Butch wore in pulp fiction to put in Ben's mouth? Whether he says anything that is bad or good, he makes me want to go to the bathroom.
We'll go to work on him, with a pair of pliers & a blowtorch.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Why all the bitterness?

Can't any of you see ANY good in this man?
BA has been praised by virtually everyone in media, he's up for coach of the year and he's in demand as a HC and all you can do is wallow in venom and criticism.

As far as being Ben's BFF goes, yes that's absolutely true and there's nothing wrong with that. The reason why Ben has had such a crummy year is because he went from working with a guy who was open-minded, a guy who understood his players and who (from all accounts) had a great personality and was fun to work with, to a morose, "X's and O's" screamer who is trying to do things HIS way even if it costs the team years of ineffective mediocrity.

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing.

Yeah I know, BA didn't coah "Steeler Football" (whatever that is) and he was more like Father Flannagan than Sergeant Hartmann and so what? He got results and his record proves that. He got things out of players by understanding what they were godd at doing rather than trying to shove some "philosophy" down their throats or by drawing "My way or the highway" lines in the sand. He wasn't always successful, but his body of work and the good will that follows him around speaks for itself.

But you guys seem to think that there's something wrong with a coach talking to players rather than screaming at them or that a coach should be giving orders instead of taking suggestions and working with players and that, in my opinion, is ridiculous. This team (offensively) is in disarray not because of injuries or poor execution but because of Haley. He has destroyed the chemistry that existed before and he seems to alienate people on a minute-by-minute basis and that simply isn't going to work.

Chemistry is everything and Haley has none. Ben didn't have a bad year because he's lost his chops or because of injury. He had a bad year because he went from a nurturing environment to a toxic environment and that's not going to change as long as Haley is here. Arians, on the other hand, has gone from a successful run here to yet another successful run in Indy and his star is rising while we're stuck with a black hole.

Arians was and is a good coach and if you can't see that, then you're just not looking (or don't want to). Arians is being praised by many and is in demand while Haley just bounces from team to team leaving disappointment and acrimony in his wake. Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.
do you charge by the hour or a flat daily rate?

My comments were more of a way of not taking the conversation seriously. I find it equally hilarious that someone rushes to be the advocate and defender of someone they don't even know.

I choose to scrutinize professional athletes and coaches that come across as big egos - both Ben and Arians have a noted reputation - maybe if they didn't feed into some things people don't like in a personality or reputation - there would be less open comments - how I view them is pretty common - and it just isn't them - it's a ton of professional athletes in all sports - their public lives are kind of one big joke for the average joe - and really, you shouldn't take it so personal and lighten up a bit
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,538 Times in 4,606 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
We'll go to work on him, with a pair of pliers & a blowtorch.
I can't read that line without Ving Rhames' voice in my head.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,623 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I can't read that line without Ving Rhames' voice in my head.
It is indeed one of those iconic moments in cinema.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It is indeed one of those iconic moments in cinema.
Zed's dead sugar pop
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Why all the bitterness?

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing
Why all the constant criticism of Haley?

The reason Ben had a lousy end of the season was because of the injury in the KC game - Ben was having his best year until that injury - the BA hatred can be over the top but so are the knee jerk responses to any challenge to Arians

I have nothing against Arians getting a job and acknowledge he had a great year coaching a team with a bottom feeder schedule (who exactly did the Colts beat?) but regard his tenure in Pittsburgh to have been mediocre.

I know - he went to 2 Super Bowls but the defense carried those teams. Maybe I should claim credit for the success of the 2008 and 2010 teams since I watched every game and made sure to be wearing a jersey during playoff wins
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Ben is just rubbing it in their faces that if they had listened to him and not the fans the Rooneys wouldn't have to watch the playoffs from the stands - - like that
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.
FanSince72 are you OK? You just went off on a huge tangent not based whatsoever in fact. It's OK Ben and Bruce can still be friends. Ben is allowed to talk Bruce as much as he wants in his personal life: they can bake cookies together, hold hands or go watch Twilight movies together the sky is the limit.

Before Arians arrived in Pittsburgh the Steelers had finished 20th or worse in points scored only one time since 1990. Arians finished that poorly twice in five years. Haley is on the chopping block now because his offense is just as bad. Do you feel that the Steelers have the talent to be a top 10 offensive team and are underachieving? I sure do.

A business decision was made. Arians was fired because his offense got worse over his final four years not better. Live with it and move on. Haley will be fired at the end of next season if the offense doesn't produce. The only reason Arians stayed in Pittsburgh as long as he did was his relationship with Ben. That is a poor way to run a billion dollar business.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Steeler7BR (01-09-2013)