Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts
Default Re: RGIII has partially torn ACL and LCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Those are good points you made and I agree that a quarterback's dedication as a leader would be called into question by his teammates if he sat needlessly. However, RG III clearly made a decision that benefitted his team at great personal loss. This injury could permanently dampen RG III's effectiveness, marketability and income. .
I question how much he benefited the team after he aggravated the injury immediately prior to the second TD - RGIII was ineffective after that and most of the complaints arise from Shanahan not pulling him after it was clear he was ineffective after the first quarter and before the complete blow out of the knee in the 4th quarter

Since the player will always want to go the head coach needs to decide, once the player is given a chance to play, whether the player is effective

By way of example, Ben was hobbled but effective in the Baltimore game in 2010 when he entered the game with a bum foot and then had his nose broken - OTOH Ben was ineffective when he played on the badly sprained ankle in 2011 in San Francisco and was messed up for the rest of the year. So Tomlin got it right one time and blew it the other time - fortunately in neither case was the risk of aggravating the injury a potential career impacter
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
6-8 months sounds a bit short for a full knee reconstruction

they trying to rush RGIII back early?
Isn't that the time frame they are discussing for Heath Miller?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Isn't that the time frame they are discussing for Heath Miller?
that's the hope

Heath had ACL, MCL and partial PCL tears...plus he is 30 while RGIII is 22....so we'll have to see
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Yep - one of the subplots here is whether Shanahan ignored Dr. Andrews advice or Andrews is covering his a** by now saying he was worried - if Andrews was that concerned he should have gone to Snyder - it is not as if Andrews will miss the mortgage payment if Shanahan gets him fired as team doc

"I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it. He passed all the tests and all the functional things we do, but it's been a trying moment for me, to be honest with you."

-- Dr. James Andrews, the Redskins' team orthopedist, to USA Today, on Robert Griffin III's four-week-old knee sprain. Andrews told the newspaper he didn't clear Griffin to return to the game on Dec. 9, though the Redskins said Griffin was cleared to return.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2HJqfVUox

Shanahan should be fired.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
"I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it. He passed all the tests and all the functional things we do, but it's been a trying moment for me, to be honest with you."

-- Dr. James Andrews, the Redskins' team orthopedist, to USA Today, on Robert Griffin III's four-week-old knee sprain. Andrews told the newspaper he didn't clear Griffin to return to the game on Dec. 9, though the Redskins said Griffin was cleared to return.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2HJqfVUox

Shanahan should be fired.
IMO that is a** covering by Andrews - he may not have been given the opportunity to clear RGIII for a return to the Baltimore game, but putting out an "I am holding my breath" quote without also saying he should not play and going to Snyder about it is pointless - if Andrews was so concerned he should have gone on the record that RGIII should not play before the Dallas or Seattle games - if any team doc had the clout to go over the head coach's head it was Andrews - IMO Andrews should resign if he is that powerless
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
IMO that is a** covering by Andrews - he may not have been given the opportunity to clear RGIII for a return to the Baltimore game, but putting out an "I am holding my breath" quote without also saying he should not play and going to Snyder about it is pointless - if Andrews was so concerned he should have gone on the record that RGIII should not play before the Dallas or Seattle games - if any team doc had the clout to go over the head coach's head it was Andrews - IMO Andrews should resign if he is that powerless
The problem is not that he allowed Shanahan to start him against the Cowboys IMO. As Andrews said RG3 cleared all the tests so there's no point to stop Shanahan. But he's curious and clearly stated that there was a risk. The Redskins took it, fine. But the coach should be closely monitor the situation. If you watched the game against the Seahawks, you knew that RG3 was clear not right after the first quarter. At that time there was no reason not to pull him. It's all on the coach.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The problem is not that he allowed Shanahan to start him against the Cowboys IMO. As Andrews said RG3 cleared all the tests so there's no point to stop Shanahan. But he's curious and clearly stated that there was a risk. The Redskins took it, fine. But the coach should be closely monitor the situation. If you watched the game against the Seahawks, you knew that RG3 was clear not right after the first quarter. At that time there was no reason not to pull him. It's all on the coach.
If my doctor says he is holding my breath if I do not get a heart bypass but does not tell me I should get a heart bypass that is not of much use if I have a heart attack

I agree it is on Shanahan for not pulling RGIII but if Andrews was covering for himself by claiming he did not have a chance to examine Griffin before he went back into the Baltimore game, what is his explanation for not examining him after anyone watching the game on TV could see Griffin's knee was reinjured at the end of the 1st quarter of the Seattle game

Plenty of blame to go around here
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Meanwhile, the team needs to change the playbook and lose 90% of the called QB runs and options.
When are coaches in the league going to realize a running QB will always get hurt.
Didnt they watch the Kordell years....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
When are coaches in the league going to realize a running QB will always get hurt.
Didnt they watch the Kordell years....
it's a win now league. If there is somebody capable of taking a team to the playoffs several times within a 2-5 yr window by throwing and running, there is always going to be a coach willing to take a chance.

I agree, long term it's a terrible investment. And if the SB victory is the goal, then running doesn't help. But if you want an exciting game that will sell, your Vick-like QB's are a big thing.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
it's a win now league. If there is somebody capable of taking a team to the playoffs several times within a 2-5 yr window by throwing and running, there is always going to be a coach willing to take a chance.

I agree, long term it's a terrible investment. And if the SB victory is the goal, then running doesn't help. But if you want an exciting game that will sell, your Vick-like QB's are a big thing.
yeah i understand its all about the chance of gettin to the big dance, dont matter the future of the player.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote