Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #71
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

I actually think we need to come away with 3 LBs in case Worilds and or Sylvester don't work out and a pass rusher is an absolute must
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #72
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Dont forget we have a recovering ILB that looks great in the preseason in Spence, so i would be happy with OLB in the first, RB/Safety in the second/third then QB after
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #73
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
No one is saying draft 7 LBs, but we do have to address our need for a legitimate pass rusher and an ILB to play with Timmons. That's two Linebackers, man. One in the first round and one in the third / fourth.
I love the idea of a pass rush improvement but the fact is our RB group doesn't cut it and Heath Miller will be out Atleast half the season. The need to improve the offense far outweighs the need to improve the #1 ranked defense(if you believe the stats), this team will rank dead last in scoring next year if big changes aren't made offensively because the offensive line CANNOT run block couple that with the 3 blind mice the Steelers have employed as running backs and the Steelers become a 1 trick pony.Everyone though the Steelers couldn't get into the end one before,guess what will happen with the absence of Miller
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #74
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
The Steelers can just draft 7 LBs and everyone will be happy.....until September rolls around and the Steelers have no RB,no TE and no backup for Ben
That would be awesome!!!

I am obviously being "tongue in cheek", but I do recall that for their red-zone defense, there was a package that the Taperiots used that had nine linebackers on the field.

I hear your concerns, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When the O-line was healthy, those scrub RBs ran at will on the NYGiants.

2. When BB was healthy, the Steelers were scoring well enough. Obviously, we all want betetr, but remember: a completed pass to Heath Miller, on third down, at the end of both the Tennessee & the Oaklnd games ices those games (making the Steelers 8-1).

3. There is no R1 RB. But, there is a bevy of R2-R4 RBs... but... are they any betetr than Dwyer & Redman??? I'm not sure...

4. The pass rush was horrible. I rememebr the days of Greg Lloyd on third down... you KNEW it was going to be a sack or a strip-sack or a forced bad throw (that either ended the drive or caused a turnover). I want those days back.

5. This draft is rife with defensive talent.

6. The current roster has good offensive talent that either was injured (QB, OL) or underperformed (WRs).

7. I agree: the injury to Heath might force a TE pick early in this draft. I was thinking that maybe Ertz might slip to 47ish. But, with that said, I would still rather go for a safety in that round.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #75
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That would be awesome!!!

I am obviously being "tongue in cheek", but I do recall that for their red-zone defense, there was a package that the Taperiots used that had nine linebackers on the field.

I hear your concerns, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When the O-line was healthy, those scrub RBs ran at will on the NYGiants.

2. When BB was healthy, the Steelers were scoring well enough. Obviously, we all want betetr, but remember: a completed pass to Heath Miller, on third down, at the end of both the Tennessee & the Oaklnd games ices those games (making the Steelers 8-1).

3. There is no R1 RB. But, there is a bevy of R2-R4 RBs... but... are they any betetr than Dwyer & Redman??? I'm not sure...

4. The pass rush was horrible. I rememebr the days of Greg Lloyd on third down... you KNEW it was going to be a sack or a strip-sack or a forced bad throw (that either ended the drive or caused a turnover). I want those days back.

5. This draft is rife with defensive talent.

6. The current roster has good offensive talent that either was injured (QB, OL) or underperformed (WRs).

7. I agree: the injury to Heath might force a TE pick early in this draft. I was thinking that maybe Ertz might slip to 47ish. But, with that said, I would still rather go for a safety in that round.
The Steelers ranked 22nd in scoring behind the mighty Buffalo Bills. Heath was the best offensive weapon the Steelers had and with the current dink and dunk offensive scheme Wallace,Brown and Sanders were getting hammered over the middle and coughing it up regularly. Bama back Lacy looks worthy for spending a #1 on because his size and power,seems like a better pick at #1 over a LB. As for the Offensive line,they stunk at the beginning of the season and the stunk at the end.The Giants game does't change my mind on an offensive line that has gotten better but still isn't any good run blocking.Lets not forget failing on 2nd and 3rd down vs the Browns to gain 3 feet running it.

P
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #76
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I'm not big on the pick a TE early thing. Wouldn't mind one after the third round but if Heath doesn't injure himself we aren't even considering one before round 5. I'd rather draft one in the mid-rounds just in case but Heath won't miss the whole season. We need a new RB for 16 games, we need a TE for probably 3 or 4. I'd trust Pope and Paulson for a few games if I had to.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #77
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
The Steelers ranked 22nd in scoring behind the mighty Buffalo Bills. Heath was the best offensive weapon the Steelers had and with the current dink and dunk offensive scheme Wallace,Brown and Sanders were getting hammered over the middle and coughing it up regularly. Bama back Lacy looks worthy for spending a #1 on because his size and power,seems like a better pick at #1 over a LB. As for the Offensive line,they stunk at the beginning of the season and the stunk at the end.The Giants game does't change my mind on an offensive line that has gotten better but still isn't any good run blocking.Lets not forget failing on 2nd and 3rd down vs the Browns to gain 3 feet running it.

P
I hear your concerns, but I think that BB's injury had a lot to do with the poor season. He was rolling... and then came the injury. And then, he played hurt. Before the injury, the offense was ranked 18th & improving... and then... an injury & a total collapse.

While 18th isn't great, it was indeed moving upwards in rankings. If BB had not gotten injured, the rise would have put the Steelers at about 15th... which isn't great, but isn't horrible.

A couple of losses came due to no pass-rush, and in turn, late-game FGs. An OLB would help greatly I'm that regard.

Regardless...

Even if one wanted to take an offensive player in R1, there isn't a player worthy of #17. It would make much more sense to get Lacy (or whomever) in R2**. Make sense?

**(or even Lacy in R3, and Ertz or Woods in R2).
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #78
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Quote:
I hear your concerns, but I think that BB's injury had a lot to do with the poor season. He was rolling... and then came the injury. And then, he played hurt. Before the injury, the offense was ranked 18th & improving... and then... an injury & a total collapse.

While 18th isn't great, it was indeed moving upwards in rankings. If BB had not gotten injured, the rise would have put the Steelers at about 15th... which isn't great, but isn't horrible.

A couple of losses came due to no pass-rush, and in turn, late-game FGs. An OLB would help greatly I'm that regard.

Regardless...

Even if one wanted to take an offensive player in R1, there isn't a player worthy of #17. It would make much more sense to get Lacy (or whomever) in R2**. Make sense?

If Lacy is still around in the 2nd then great,Bens injury was a big factor but fumbles was as well. The Steelers have a couple LBs (Spence and Carter) that I would like to see before dropping a #1 on another. I can see getting a SS (Elam) if he's worth the pick.Its comforting to know that with the exception of a couple of years the Steelers spend their 1st wisely!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #79
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:

Regardless...

I think lacy stock will be rising over the next couple months leading up to the draft. If he runs a sub 4.5 he will most likely be the first rb selected. I really do like this kid. Even though he ran behide the best oline in college I really think he will be a bruising back with more speed than Dwyer and redman.

I'm on board with trading back round one select bpa and use he extra picks via the trade back to get lacy. The argument to not selecting lacy is that no matter his potential our online wont open the holes for him. But before colon and Adams went down our running game was pretty good even without decastro with backups Dwyer and redman.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #80
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

If Lacy is still around in the 2nd then great,Bens injury was a big factor but fumbles was as well. The Steelers have a couple LBs (Spence and Carter) that I would like to see before dropping a #1 on another. I can see getting a SS (Elam) if he's worth the pick.Its comforting to know that with the exception of a couple of years the Steelers spend their 1st wisely!
I can agree with that (see above: bolded portion).

I hear you about Spence (if he's the guy, they maybe an ILB is not needed, except for back-up... like R5). But, Carter has either been injured or not very effective... much like Worilds. I'd prefer that an OLB is taken, and taken early.