Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,669 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: We do we always sign scrubs to the practice squad ('Futures').

'It's A Grind': An NFL Player's Struggle For Survival

by NPR STAFF
September 02, 2012

New England Patriots safety Ross Ventrone catches a pass before an an NFL game against the New York Jets and on Nov. 13, 2011, in East Rutherford, N.J.

Ross Ventrone has been hired, promoted, or fired by the New England Patriots no fewer than 29 times in two years. The transition the defensive back from Villanova made into the world of professional football has been different from what most people would assume, he tells Guy Raz, host of weekends of All Things Considered.

"For guys like me, it's a grind," Ventrone says. "I'm fighting every day for my job, and you never know what's going to happen."

Add to that the pressure players face to keep their bodies in perfect condition despite painful blows during practices and games.

"You're always an injury away from never playing again," Ventrone says.

Ventrone was cut after training camp. Three days later, he was re-signed. A couple weeks after that, he was cut again. On and on and on, just like that, for the past two years. A new NFL season begins Sept. 5, but unfortunately Ventrone has been cut again.

It comes down to numbers: NFL teams are allowed a maximum of 53 players, and Ventrone always comes in either #53 or #54. He has been able to make a decent living so far, but work is unpredictable.

"The money is good whenever it's coming in," he says, "its just a matter of how long its going to be coming in for."

Ventrone earns the NFL's minimum rookie salary, but only gets paid for the weeks he is on a the roster.

Ventrone is confident he will be back on the field this season as higher-ranking players are bound to suffer injuries.

"I don't wish it upon anybody, but it's a fact that guys are going to be getting hurt," he says.

It's that attitude that probably elevated him to play professional ball in the first place.

"I think there will be an opportunity," he says. "I just have to seize it."

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/02/160471...-to-hold-a-job
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,669 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers add linebacker

Posted 1/7/13

The Steelers continue to build their 2013 offseason roster with the signing of linebacker Kion Wilson today to a Reserve/Future contact.

Wilson, who wasn’t on an NFL roster in 2012, saw action in five games with the Carolina Panthers during the 2011 season. Wilson originally signed with the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted rookie free agent out of South Florida on April 26, 2010. He played in three games during his rookie season in 2010, forcing one fumble on special teams.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-9173bc77bfd1
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Does anyone think Derek Moye can turn into a viable option at WR?
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote