Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,486 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: The Steelers play scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bomber View Post
Yes, get rid of that stupid bubble pass, and mix in a few of Haley's dink and dunk plays and he just may have scored them. Maybe a "Halians" or "Arieys" mixture of offense. Although, that means we would need a RB that defenses felt was a threat. We start scoring points and the Defense can come out of prevent.

One good thing about Arians, or was it Whiz, was they were not afraid to go deep on a 1st and the rest of the game.
Absolutely! It doesn't matter if your RB is getting 100 yards a game. The opposing D needs to be forced to respect your running game. I'd like a back who defenses have to worry about even if it isn't a running play.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i get tired of games in the 4th quarter when we go into the DREADED prevent defensive scheme. Any and all quarterbacks, probably hot dog vendors too if they would let them come out on the field and play, lead the opposing team right down the field to score - almost without fail.
We get burned on this more than anybody. I hate it.

And i agree - on offense - how many times do we have a 3 or 7 point lead - only to go 3 and out? Or similar to punt when it doesn't even appear we're trying to get first downs.
So what happens? The other teams get the ball back quickly - and do just what i wrote in the above paragraph. It happens SO much it feels like its nearly every single game.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,468 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
You do realize that Cowher's all-time record when leading by more than 10 points at anytime during the game was 102-1-1 don't you?

102-1-1
Yea... but... uh... there was that one loss. So... obviously, it doesn't work.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
JeromeBetties63 (01-11-2013), lloydwoodson (01-11-2013), NSMaster56 (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bomber View Post
Yes, get rid of that stupid bubble pass, and mix in a few of Haley's dink and dunk plays and he just may have scored them. Maybe a "Halians" or "Arieys" mixture of offense. Although, that means we would need a RB that defenses felt was a threat. We start scoring points and the Defense can come out of prevent.

One good thing about Arians, or was it Whiz, was they were not afraid to go deep on a 1st and the rest of the game.
Truce Halians to the rescue! We need a bit of the dink and dunk, and some aggressive stuff thrown in there as well!

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

I completely agree with the original post. I hate to always use the Patriots as an example, but if their up 28-0 in the second quarter, they don't call off the dogs. They usually go on to win by a score of something like 56-3 and Bilechek is pissed the other team got 3.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
You do realize that Cowher's all-time record when leading by more than 10 points at anytime during the game was 102-1-1 don't you?

102-1-1
That is a good point about Cowher, and maybe it was unfair to include him since he was usually trying to hide the QB. This current team, however, should be attacking more than it does.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,468 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
That is a good point about Cowher, and maybe it was unfair to include him since he was usually trying to hide the QB. This current team, however, should be attacking more than it does.
Actually, I think that mentioning Cowher actually points to two huge factors (that are currently missing):

1) No running game. Cowher had The Bus. The Steelers could close out games better than anyone... via killing the clock.

I remember a game against the Browns, where Bam Morris ran the ball like 13 straight times, taking 6 minutes off of the clock... and the Steelers knelt down on the 6 yard line in victory formation.

Likewise, I rememebr a game agains the Titans, where FWP ran the ball 22 straight times in the fourth quarter, to kill the clock.

This O-line was far too injured to accomlish such feats.

2) No pressure. I remember being up 10 points, and when the prevent defense was put into affect, LeBeau would also unleash Greg Lloyd (or Joey Porter)... and the OLB would always (ALWAYS) get a crucial sack (making it third and looong) or get the strip-sack.

Alas, Harrison was not "Harrison" for the first half of the season (i.e. in the Tennessee & Oakland games). And, Woodley is nearly 320 pounds. In turn, no pressure.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,074 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I hate the prevent defense. All it does is prevent the Steelers from winning as the defense watches has-beens, never-weres, never-will-bes, and other no-name quarterbacks effortlessly complete passes, march right down the field, and eventually score points that have caused the Steelers to lose games. Not only does it make average to downright awful quarterbacks look like future hall of famers, but it also all but guarantees that pressure on the quarterback and turnovers will be exceptionally rare, which allows the average Joe to look like a good quarterback.

Last edited by Blacksburg Zach; 01-10-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More reasons to bash on the prevent defense.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Indeed Cowher did have to hide our QB's in those situations. Cowher greatest legacy is what QB's he had that went to the playoffs. Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox. All of these guys started a playoff game for Cowher. What other coach could take a collection of QB's like this and still go to the playoffs almost every year?
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I think bringing up Cowher's accomplishments playing close to the vest is irrelevant because a) Cowher isn't here anymore, and b) offenses have opened up more since then. When this team does it, bad things happen too often.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote