Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #141
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Rainey in Jail for Domestic Battery Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Thing is he is a good special teams player. And if Wallace leaves it would be Antonio returning kicks as our #1 WR! Even as our #2 it is not that ideal.

Don't know what is real about the whole story but I would give him the chance to come back.
He is not anything worth sweating over...bye bye thug
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #142
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Thing is he is a good special teams player. And if Wallace leaves it would be Antonio returning kicks as our #1 WR! Even as our #2 it is not that ideal.

Don't know what is real about the whole story but I would give him the chance to come back.

There's dozens and dozens of these kinds of players. He's good, but not "Josh Cribbs" kind of good. Easily replaceable.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #143
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
I'm not going to give him a break. It is not okay to hit a woman, no matter what age a man is. Men know this, even those in their 20's. It's also not okay to mess with her purse without permission. I never touch a man's wallet without permission. I carry a ton of stuff in my purse and it's heavy. If a guy tried to take my purse, I would cause him great harm with it.

It's not okay if his girlfriend took his cell phone without permission either, but I don't know the circumstances on how or why she had it, so I can't really speak to that issue, but it still doesn't warrant Rainey hitting her.

Glad he was cut. Good riddance.

Ta'amu can hit the road, too, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not condoning violence against women or saying he didn't make a mistake. He deserved to be punished, though whether or not to this severity can be debated for another time.

My point is, there's a double standard here on the Steelers and the NFL. Harrison was accused of domestic violence back in '08, but because we can't replace him, he stayed on the roster. The mantra the Steelers have of 'we don't tolerate this kind of stuff' is a facade. They don't tolerate it from guys they see are expendable and non-assets.

People are willing to turn a blind eye when our contributors and often times, stars are facing accusations and/or charges because they're the best on the team and can't replace these guys. It's almost an insult to our intelligence that the Rooney's have this mantra in the organization and pretend as if they enforce it to the tee when in reality, if they can be replaced, they get punished severely. This explains why Ta'amu is still on our practice squad - the Steelers essentially gave up another prospect when they traded for him and they see him as a future contributor, thus he gets a get out of jail free card.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-11-2013), Steeler7BR (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #144
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Rainey's attorney: Victim insists no crime took place

The alleged victim in the domestic violence episode involving former University of Florida athlete Christopher Rainey says there was no crime and she wants the state of Florida to drop the charges, Rainey's attorney says.

Rainey, 24, was arrested and charged Thursday morning with simple domestic battery, a first-degree misdemeanor, in connection with the incident. He was released from jail Friday after his first appearance before a judge in connection with the case.

“The incident that occurred today is both troubling and unfortunate,” the victim wrote in an email to the judge. Rainey's attorney, Huntley Johnson, read the email to a reporter for The Sun in a telephone interview Friday.

“The incident was simply over a book bag with a cellphone in it, and possession of this bag. In no way did I feel physically threatened at any time,” the victim said in the email.

“Over the course of our relationship together, I have never been verbally or physically threatened by Chris Rainey. What happened today was a misunderstanding and should not affect his future in any way.”

According to an arrest report, Rainey was visiting his girlfriend at her apartment when they started arguing after she noticed he had a second cellphone while she was hugging him goodbye. He is alleged to have then chased and slapped her, according to the report.

Shortly after news of the arrest broke, Rainey, a former Gator football player, was waived from the Pittsburgh Steelers. In a statement, General Manager Kevin Colbert said Rainey's actions were “extremely disappointing.”

Rainey on Friday appeared before 8th Judicial Circuit Court Judge David Kreider to hear the terms of his pretrial release. He walked up to a podium at the Alachua County jail after Kreider called his name, as seen in a live video recording that was transmitted into Kreider's courtroom. The judge asked Rainey if he understood what he had been charged with.

“Yes sir,” Rainey said.

Johnson said evidence from the case showed the incident was not as serious as it appeared.

“I would like to point at that in the police report there were no marks on the young lady,” he said. “And if there was an open slapping then I would suggest there would have been marks on the young lady.”

Johnson said he spoke with the victim in the case and that she told Johnson she was adamant there was no crime committed. He said the two have been in a nine-month relationship and that she's not in fear of Rainey.

“They were tussling over a backpack which had his phone in it,” he said. “She indicates that she can see how someone from afar -- across the street -- would have thought there was a touching because they were fighting over the bag and she fell down.”

Johnson said the family specifically asked that the judge not impose a no-contact provision in his release decision.

“Mr. Rainey is unemployed because the Steelers cut him yesterday because of this event,” Johnson told Kreider, “I respectfully suggest there's a pretty good possibility he will not be unemployed in the future.”

Johnson explained how Rainey signed a lease and rents an apartment in Gainesville and that he would show up for his court date and wasn't a danger to the community.

Judge Kreider listened, and then spoke to Rainey.

He told him he could not possess any weapons or firearms and that he could have no contact with the victim.

“Now I understand that, according to Mr. Johnson, she wishes to have contact with you,” Kreider said, but the judge made clear that contacting her was a crime and a violation. He then released Rainey of his own recognizance until his court date.

Johnson said after the hearing that he did not wish to discuss how Rainey felt about the ordeal.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...CLES/130119924

One of two things just happened here. One, she read that the Steelers released him and felt guilty (which she shouldn't have) about being involved in any way with his release or two, the witnesses that saw what happened didn't really see what happened. Either way, maybe next time Dan and friends should wait until they have all the evidence instead of reacting and acting on a bunch of eyewitnesses that now, might not have seen what they thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #145
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

It sucks to see our team have so many situations pop up like this in the last few years. We need to get back to winning football and out of the newspapers. Never thought I would see this much crap flying in Steeler nation. I'll be glad when the draft gets here so we can at least have some positive stuff to talk about. I did find some humor in this article though...
http://boredhole.com/steelers_release_rainey_2013
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #146
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

So he's innocent great turn of events. Bring him back!!!!
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #147
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
[B]Either way, maybe next time Dan and friends should wait until they have all the evidence instead of reacting and acting on a bunch of eyewitnesses that now, might not have seen what they thought.
I'm still surprised they dropped him so quickly. Witnesses never know what they see, and police reports are too vague to get a true idea of what happened. Then press reports add stuff or change it.

If he's guilty, we don't need him, and if he get's off, I doubt the team takes him back.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #148
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
So he's innocent great turn of events. Bring him back!!!!
Assuming these accusations aren't true, it's irrelevant at the end of the day. Danny has to save face and respectfully uphold the image of the Steelers organization. So, it doesn't matter if the crime as actually committed or not, it's bad enough he was accused of such a heinous act.

I'm so glad he's back in charge.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #149
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

I wonder who those witnesses are. Friends of the "victim"? Just sayin'.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #150
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,900 Times in 862 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Of course she'll drop the charges and she'll say nothing happened because if he goes to jail and loses his job because of her she won't be getting that new house and car she always wanted