Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #161
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts
Default Re: Rainey in Jail for Domestic Battery Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Assuming these accusations aren't true, it's irrelevant at the end of the day. Danny has to save face and respectfully uphold the image of the Steelers organization. So, it doesn't matter if the crime as actually committed or not, it's bad enough he was accused of such a heinous act.

I'm so glad he's back in charge.
I would wager Art Rooney pulled the trigger on this one, not the Ambassador

As far as the victim claiming it was all a misunderstanding after the charges are brought, that is a pretty common occurrence in domestic violene cases

As far as the other witnesses, they presumably do not have a motive to make all this up and call the cops, although purported eyewitness and straight A student "Heather M" disagrees based on her e-mail below to ESPN

I am writing you in regard to your article about the Steeler's dismissal of Chris Rainey after his arrest this morning. Chris is actually my next door neighbor and I happened to see the whole ordeal transpire from my apartment as I was getting ready for class this morning. What the police report/your article describes as Chris "pull[ing] the woman out of a vehicle...and then slapp[ing] her in the face with an open hand" was actually him pulling on a backpack that she was also holding and she took a few steps outside the open car door that she was sitting sideways in (because he obviously pulled harder than she did). The only thing that I can imagine witnesses claiming to be a slap to the face was when he tried to snatch the bag and she put her hand in the way and his hand made a slapping noise against hers.

By the time I left for class, there were police officers taking statements, but the girl with whom he was arguing was telling the police officers the truth about what happened, so I did not feel it was necessary to make a statement. It seemed like they were just going through a formality because 911 was called. As a result of reading your article, I contacted GPD and asked to file a report on what actually happened. I was treated like a criminal, despite being a straight A student and never having even a little trouble with the law. I was accused of lying and told that, although they can't tell me who reported what, there was at least one witness who said they saw him slap her in the face.

I think that it is also worth noting that the person who called 911 was a neighbor who openly dislikes Chris and his roommate and wanders the neighborhood asking if she can have our passwords for our internet instead of buying her own.

Thank you,
Heather M.

http://deadspin.com/5975233/

As usual the lawyer gets the prize for best supporting actor in the role of saying anything to defend the client while maintaining a straight face

Johnson said evidence from the case showed the incident was not as serious as it appeared. “I would like to point at that in the police report there were no marks on the young lady,” he said. “And if there was an open slapping then I would suggest there would have been marks on the young lady.”

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...ime-took-place

In other words, no broken bone - no foul

But the lawyer did get this right

“Mr. Rainey is unemployed because the Steelers cut him yesterday because of this event,” Johnson told Kreider, “I respectfully suggest there's a pretty good possibility he will not be unemployed in the future.”

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...ime-took-place

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #162
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

Okay... I found a link to the court hearing on Friday. Here it is. I hope it works

http://video.gainesville.com/video/2088258033001/

Last edited by VictoryFormation; 01-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #163
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,639 Times in 3,927 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I was treated like a criminal, despite being a straight A student and never having even a little trouble with the law. I was accused of lying
welcome to dealing with police. I've known ppl who called the police to report a crime and were told if they called in again they would be the ones arrested.

they arrested somebody, they've got their evidence, and they don't want to hear any witness (including the person who was directly involved) contradict the little story that they've created.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #164
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
welcome to dealing with police. I've known ppl who called the police to report a crime and were told if they called in again they would be the ones arrested.

they arrested somebody, they've got their evidence, and they don't want to hear any witness (including the person who was directly involved) contradict the little story that they've created.
Hard to say how credible "Heather" may be, although she somehow was able to hear from afar that the girlfriend was telling "the truth" to the police and that slap by Rainey was to the girlfriend's hand rather than face as Heather got ready to go to class and keep up that straight A record

Everyone has their own ax to grind - there may be the typical subplots associated with off-campus life and rooting for the Gators in play here
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #165
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

got to keep up those grades! I agree though, no reason to trust "Heather". Although in her letter it doesn't say that she was far away when the girlfriend was talking to the police. She just says that it was the time she left for class.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #166
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,402 Times in 4,387 Posts

I'm not going to comment on the 'don't trust the police' thing but I will say that I do believe this 'Heather M', despite her spelling the Steelers the Steeler's. I can overlook that fact, though.

On a more serious note, there's no reason for this girl to lie. Again, people saw this from a far distance in the dark and, according to Heather, they were looking for a reason to get Chris into some kind of trouble and a domestic disturbance call is a really good way to do so. The quick reaction here by the Rooney's (whomever it was, I'm still betting it was Dan due to the severity of the punishment) was ridiculous. The fact that they were the judge, jury and executioner hours after the incident had happened before getting all their ducks in a row and gathering confirmed reports is a bigger issue to me than the situation Chris is currently in. The least Dan, Art and Colbert can do is apologize to Chris and reinstate him, but we all know that hell will freeze over first.

Our management needs to have a cooler head on the board because this kind of double-standard and facade of 'don't do this stuff! we're a squeaky clean organization!' is insulting.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #167
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm not going to comment on the 'don't trust the police' thing but I will say that I do believe this 'Heather M', despite her spelling the Steelers the Steeler's. I can overlook that fact, though.

On a more serious note, there's no reason for this girl to lie. Again, people saw this from a far distance in the dark and, according to Heather, they were looking for a reason to get Chris into some kind of trouble and a domestic disturbance call is a really good way to do so. The quick reaction here by the Rooney's (whomever it was, I'm still betting it was Dan due to the severity of the punishment) was ridiculous. The fact that they were the judge, jury and executioner hours after the incident had happened before getting all their ducks in a row and gathering confirmed reports is a bigger issue to me than the situation Chris is currently in. The least Dan, Art and Colbert can do is apologize to Chris and reinstate him, but we all know that hell will freeze over first.

Our management needs to have a cooler head on the board because this kind of double-standard and facade of 'don't do this stuff! we're a squeaky clean organization!' is insulting.
I would say don't trust them any more than you would trust any stranger. I would say don't expect anything from them.

They're just doing their jobs. Mandatory arrest laws in domestic violence calls force them to arrest somebody. So they arrest a person, the prosecutor then does his job. The defense lawyer does his job. What really happened isn't important as long as justice is served.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #168
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,800 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Chris Rainey's girlfriend says no assault took place

Associated Press
Published: Jan. 11, 2013

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Gainesville police charged Rainey with simple battery Thursday after an alleged altercation with his girlfriend. Police say the two were arguing over Rainey's cellphone, and that when his girlfriend got into a vehicle, the ex-Florida Gator tried to pull her out. Witnesses told detectives that Rainey slapped his girlfriend across the face and then chased her when she ran away with his phone in her purse.

The girlfriend's email said the witnesses were mistaken, and Johnson pointed out that officers found no marks on the woman's face.

Rainey, who was cut by the Steelers after his arrest, was released after the hearing but ordered not to have any contact with his girlfriend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ult-took-place
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #169
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I said from the get go, I was surprised the Steelers cut him before the facts came out. I'm sure this is going to puss Pouncey off being his friend. Regardless of what happened we jumped the gun way to fast.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #170
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I said from the get go, I was surprised the Steelers cut him before the facts came out. I'm sure this is going to puss Pouncey off being his friend. Regardless of what happened we jumped the gun way to fast.
The Steelers gambled on this kid hoping some things he did in his past were just youthful mistakes and gave him a golden opportunity to succeed.

"Where there is smoke there is fire" He could not even make through year one without getting into trouble. Once again it was problems with verbal or physical violence with a
woman.

The Steelers made the right choice to cut the thug. He will be in trouble again, just not in a Steeler uniform.