Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #71
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
So is that a prediction. ? 'cause this year our "Offense" more-or-less threw away this season, and NOT the "D", which got steadily better throughout this season, (even though Troy was a non-factor), and, you know Dick is stayin' here next season.
If anything, for next season, Ben needs to start cozying-up to Haley, instead of constantly whinng about missing his dada "Bwuce Aweeans" ?!

No offence, but:
"Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator" right now? - is just
How many 4th quarter leads did the defense give up? Ben threw away the Cincy game, but had a great game in Dallas until the pick in OT, which never should have come to pass if Brown and the defense didn't surrender the 7-point lead they were staked with.

Tennesee, Oakland come to mind, too.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #72
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
How many 4th quarter leads did the defense give up? Ben threw away the Cincy game, but had a great game in Dallas until the pick in OT, which never should have come to pass if Brown and the defense didn't surrender the 7-point lead they were staked with.

Tennesee, Oakland come to mind, too.
The Steelers were ranked 3rd in the NFL in points surrendered in the 4th QTR with 3.8, and 21st in points scored in the 4th QTR with 5.7. No team scored fewer than 4.3 points in the 4th for the year so the Steelers actually held opponents below the average of the worst team in the league.

Yet another attempt to blame the defense that failed. Nobody would argue that the defense did not play more poorly in the beginning of the season, but it did more than enough down the stretch to win games.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #73
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
The Steelers were ranked 3rd in the NFL in points surrendered in the 4th QTR with 3.8, and 21st in points scored in the 4th QTR with 5.7. No team scored fewer than 4.3 points in the 4th for the year so the Steelers actually held opponents below the average of the worst team in the league.

Yet another attempt to blame the defense that failed. Nobody would argue that the defense did not play more poorly in the beginning of the season, but it did more than enough down the stretch to win games.
I love Dick Lebeau. I love our defense. But at the start of the year and I know we can blame it on injuries and whatsoever it WAS a factor but they lost games for us.

We were busted wide open in the second half in Denver. Ok offense could have done more in the 4th quarter but the defense had it in hand. Really get abused by Matt Hasselback in totally embarrssing 2 4th quarter drives. And the baddest game in our season from the defensive standpoint. Get no control on Carson Palmer and the Raiders.

I'm sorry but that games were lost on a big part by the defense. I know in the first half of the season Harrison was practicly non-existent after his knee surgery. Polumalu was out. Hampton came back from a knee injury and wasn't a factor till late in the season but they lost for a fact that games that hurt as so much at the end of the season.

@lloydwoodson But your're also right they had a good season down the strech.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #74
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

@7BR The Denver loss is on the offense. The defense had held Denver to 14 going into the 4th. Then they allowed 10 in the 4th. The Steelers offense had two 3 and outs and a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. You can not give Peyton Manning that many chances to win the game. The Broncos scored more than 30 points in 11 games this season- it is a regular occurence for them.

The Titans loss is on Tomlin. He chose to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who can not kick past 50. The Steelers lost the game on a 33 yard drive. Also 7 points came off a blocked punt and a 1 yard TD drive (resulting from a 3 and out).

The Raiders game is on the defense. No excuse for giving up that many points to such a poor offense.

The Chargers game is also on the offense. In the first half the Steelers had five 3 and outs and a turnover on downs. The Chargers offense scored 17 points on drives that started in Steeler territory. The Chargers scored another 7 points on a fumble. Only 1 Charger drive that started in their own territory went for a TD- no other drive from their territory made it to the red zone.

The Cowboys game was one of the defense's worst but ultimately at the end of the game they held their own. The only points the Cowboys scored in the 4th was a 44 yard TD drive set up off Brown's fumble. The defense forced not one but two Dallas 3 and outs in the final 3 minutes of the game to force overtime. Roethlisberger's interception in overtime cost the Steelers the game.

The Steelers allowed more than 20 points in five games. Of those games the Raiders game is the one that stands out as having been a loss because of bad defense.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #75
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
@7BR The Denver loss is on the offense. The defense had held Denver to 14 going into the 4th. Then they allowed 10 in the 4th. The Steelers offense had two 3 and outs and a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. You can not give Peyton Manning that many chances to win the game. The Broncos scored more than 30 points in 11 games this season- it is a regular occurence for them.

The Titans loss is on Tomlin. He chose to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who can not kick past 50. The Steelers lost the game on a 33 yard drive. Also 7 points came off a blocked punt and a 1 yard TD drive (resulting from a 3 and out).

The Raiders game is on the defense. No excuse for giving up that many points to such a poor offense.

The Chargers game is also on the offense. In the first half the Steelers had five 3 and outs and a turnover on downs. The Chargers offense scored 17 points on drives that started in Steeler territory. The Chargers scored another 7 points on a fumble. Only 1 Charger drive that started in their own territory went for a TD- no other drive from their territory made it to the red zone.

The Cowboys game was one of the defense's worst but ultimately at the end of the game they held their own. The only points the Cowboys scored in the 4th was a 44 yard TD drive set up off Brown's fumble. The defense forced not one but two Dallas 3 and outs in the final 3 minutes of the game to force overtime. Roethlisberger's interception in overtime cost the Steelers the game.

The Steelers allowed more than 20 points in five games. Of those games the Raiders game is the one that stands out as having been a loss because of bad defense.
Ok I would agree with that hearing all the stats you mentioned. That 3 games were just out of memory. Although I would say the Titans game was most on the defense. Not because of the 33 yard drive that let to a Field Goal the TD drive before.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #76
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Ok I would agree with that hearing all the stats you mentioned. That 3 games were just out of memory. Although I would say the Titans game was most on the defense. Not because of the 33 yard drive that let to a Field Goal the TD drive before.
Fair enough. You are right that the defense has not played to the standard it set for itself in previous years. And as we all know "The standard is the standard."
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #77
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I love our DC.

I hate our HC. Lovie for HC would be great.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #78
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I love our DC.

I hate our HC. Lovie for HC would be great.
The Steelers don't need another defensive minded HC. LeBeau gets the most out of the D every year. What the Steelers need is a kick in the ass on offense. I am not advocating Tomlin be replaced- I think he is a very good coach and also very young he will learn as he goes over the next at least ten years with the Steelers. I am saying that it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring in a head coach who has experience in the area your team is already the best at.
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Steeler7BR (01-13-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #79
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,415 Times in 4,680 Posts

I'd be advocating this harder if I wasn't absolutely positive Lovie is going to be a head coach in the NFL next year.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #80
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'd be advocating this harder if I wasn't absolutely positive Lovie is going to be a head coach in the NFL next year.
So you're not buying the USC rumours then?