Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,012 Times in 4,287 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Will Steelers Be Able To Keep FA CB Keenan Lewis?

Pittsburgh Steelers Number One Offseason Priority Should Be Cornerback Keenan Lewis

Posted on January 5, 2013 by Syndicated Feeds

When the Pittsburgh Steelers have a disappointing season, there are always differing opinions on the cause. Was it the offense? Was it the defense? All great questions that fans continually ask, while complimenting them with what can be done to get the team back on top.In looking back at 2012, the situation leading to the demise was a combined effort. Injuries to key players took a toll, players had off years, and some of the coaching decisions were suspect. Yes, every facet of the Steelers had an off year in one way or another.

Through all of that, one player did show up and raise his value to the Steelers moving forward and may be their most important unrestricted free agent. Cornerback Keenan Lewis rose from the depth chart and entrenched himself as possibly the Steelers best cornerback.

Yes, Ike Taylor is tremendous, and still has some tread left on the tires, but, Lewis proved he is possibly ready to step into that role. Unlike his high school teammate Mike Wallace, Lewis signed his $1.26 million tender last offseason and reported to camp ready to roll and roll he did. In fact, he played so well that he may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh as he enters the unrestricted free agent field as one of the top available cornerbacks in the NFL.

However, the Steelers have always found a way at keeping the talent that they want, and the franchise tender that once may have had Wallaces’ name on it, may end up going to his childhood buddy. Yes, the Steelers may lack depth at both positions wide receiver and cornerback, but they could ill-afford to lose Lewis, as it was clear at the end of the season, that even with a lack of depth the team was less prepared in the secondary when Taylor, Lewis and slot-corner Cortez Allen were banged up.

The 27-year old cornerback has the skill-set to flourish in the Steelers system. When they couple that with the development of Allen, the players could give the Steelers a solid starting tandem into the future once Taylor (33) starts to slow-down.

Of course, general manager Kevin Colbert may have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to keep Lewis, and he likely will. Even if they have to break the bank with the franchise tag, one thing is certain; unlike his former high school teammate, Lewis earned this chance and this contract and more importantly, seems to have a desire to stay in Pittsburgh. He is definitely priority one heading into the offseason.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...lewis/12587212
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
pittpete (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It just annoys me that we drafted him, trained him for 4 years and now he may go help another team during his peak years. As much as everyone here seems to love Omar Kauhn I'm sick of being over the cap every year and if we lose both Wallace and Lewis I'm really going to be mad.
Agreed. Not Omar's fault the team wants to hang onto aging veterans but he shouldn't be labelled a genius for reworking the same contracts year after year, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Endure 2 years of painful play from Willie Gay as a starter; he finally gets it for one season; lose him to Arizona. Sit Lewis behind "veteran" William Gay for 2 years; Lewis puts up very solid first season; then lose him to FA.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #53
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Please don't overpay him is all I'm hoping for.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #54
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,012 Times in 4,287 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers to pay price with defensive backs

By Alan Robinson
Published: Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 Steelers‘ trouble spot: Secondary

2012 Starters: CB Ike Taylor (10th season), CB Keenan Lewis (4th season), S Troy Polamalu (10th season), S Ryan Clark (11th season)

2012 Backups: CB Cortez Allen (2nd season), S Will Allen (9th season)

Analysis: The Steelers led the NFL in pass defense, but it was an uncomfortable No. 1. Too many early-season games were sacrificed to late-game secondary breakdowns, and the four starters played together for only two games all season. Polamalu missed nine games with a torn calf and didn‘t look like himself until the final two games of the season, when Taylor (broken ankle) was out. Clark and Polamalu allowed a touchdown between them all season, but backup Ryan Mundy allowed three in the first four games. Lewis shook off a rough start to have a strong season but never made an interception.

Most likely departure: Lewis, if he elects to go into free agency.

Possible early-round draft picks: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama; CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers; S Bacarri Rambo, Georgia; CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon State; CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State

Possible free agents: CB Brent Grimes, Falcons; CB Tracy Porter, Broncos; CB Derek Cox, Jaguars

Get out the checkbook, Dan Rooney.

The Steelers chose not to give cornerback Keenan Lewis a multiyear contract as a restricted free agent last year, in part, because he wasn‘t yet a starter. Lewis, in turn, might have hesitated to sign such a deal if it didn‘t pay him at a starter‘s level.

Now some team is going to pay the efficient Lewis a lot more than the $1.26 million he made in 2012 — be it the Steelers or one that grabs him as a free agent.

Where Lewis goes sets the course for the 2013 Steelers‘ secondary, one that hopes to be more stable and theft-prone but as statistically proficient as the NFL‘s top-ranked unit was this season.

That‘s where the hard decisions begin.

Lewis stabilized what had been a troublesome position for years, the cornerback spot opposite Ike Taylor that once alternated between Bryant McFadden and William Gay, and it‘s likely the Steelers would prefer to keep him more than any of the other 17 unrestricted free agents.

“I want everybody back, especially Keenan,” safety Ryan Clark said. “His play was a big reason why we finished No. 1 in yards. When we have him, it makes it a lot better.”

But it would cost $10.66 million to franchise him — one route to retaining him without giving him a multiyear deal — and that‘s unlikely given the Steelers are well over the salary cap.

If Lewis signs elsewhere, Cortez Allen becomes the next man up. He helped create five turnovers in the final two games and would start if Lewis leaves.

But that would significantly weaken a position of strength, nickel back, given that Allen graded out the highest of any Steelers defensive back in Pro Football Focus‘ play-by-play analysis. Ranked No. 17 league-wide, Allen (563 snaps) gave up only one touchdown but played the second-fewest snaps of any cornerback in the top 20.

With numerous personnel decisions to make given the seven players 30 or older on defense, the Steelers could decide it is more cost-effective to make Allen a starter. Then, they could seek out an affordable nickel back — if they think Curtis Brown isn‘t ready — through free agency or the draft.

Brown got most of his playing time late in the season, giving up 11 completions and a touchdown while being targeted 15 times.

The Steelers also must decide if this is the year they commit a high-round draft pick to safety, given that Ryan Clark — coming off possibly his best season — will be 34 next season and Troy Polamalu will be 32.

The concern about Polamalu isn‘t as much his age as his reliability; he missed much of the 2009 and ‘12 seasons to injury.

“Maybe I look too far ahead, but think what it could look like with both of us healthy and these young guys playing football and Ike out there,” Clark said. “It could be special.”

So for the Steelers, it‘s pay now or pay later. Even if the Steelers don‘t give Lewis a seven-figure multiyear deal, they‘re going to have to replace Taylor, 33; Clark and Polamalu not far down the road.

“It will be an interesting offseason,” Polamalu said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2HnZM4ELx
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #55
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

I think it's crazy that some think Lewis is special and deserved 5-7 million a year. I honestly don't think there is a single team that would make him their number one. I think he could be a number 2 on possibly 10 teams including us. Only the bad ones mind you. If Lewis had to cover an even slightly above average number one WR he would be about as effective as William Gay was against number 2s. That is an improvement, but no way deserving of number one corner money. I would take half that money and sign Allen long term to be our number 2. Use 1st round pick on CB (assuming stud OLB) isn't there. Brown is not good, even worse than Lewis so that was another wasted secondary pick by Tomlin so it just seems to me that we need to devote an earier pick on secondary help especially with how much of a passing league it has become. If we could sign Lewis to say 4 years 18 million I would bite but he will most likely be using those bogus pass defend numbers against suspect offenses we faced this year to justify a big raise that someone like Cleveland or Miami may pay.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowherpower For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #56
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
he is an average CB on an average unit. He has so many pass defends because the ball is constantly around him. It's not like he is Revis in perfect position to intercept or break up passes. He is usually late the action and manages to break ball away from the multitude of passes thrown his way. Is he worthless? No, but a contract in 2-3 million per is more like it. 7 or more? Seriously? Doubt he could start on more than a handful of NFL teams.
I agree completely. Lewis is a solid corner but he is not worth 7 million per year. 4-5 is more realistic than 2-3 though. Pittsburgh wins the Tennessee game if the ball that hits him in the chest is caught. Keenan Lewis is Cortez Allen without the turnovers. You can't pay your third best corner 7 M/year. The Steelers may draft Jonathon Banks if an OLB they want is not there at 17. He would be a great future replacement for a 34 year old Swaggin Taylor- Banks is a 6'2 former safety who is physical... the ideal Steelers corner.

Steelers fans are so used to McFadden and Gay at the #2 spot a decent corner there looks amazing. Just like people saying Suisham should go to the Probowl because he is money from 45 in.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,681 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I think it's crazy that some think Lewis is special and deserved 5-7 million a year. I honestly don't think there is a single team that would make him their number one. I think he could be a number 2 on possibly 10 teams including us. Only the bad ones mind you. If Lewis had to cover an even slightly above average number one WR he would be about as effective as William Gay was against number 2s. That is an improvement, but no way deserving of number one corner money. I would take half that money and sign Allen long term to be our number 2. Use 1st round pick on CB (assuming stud OLB) isn't there. Brown is not good, even worse than Lewis so that was another wasted secondary pick by Tomlin so it just seems to me that we need to devote an earier pick on secondary help especially with how much of a passing league it has become. If we could sign Lewis to say 4 years 18 million I would bite but he will most likely be using those bogus pass defend numbers against suspect offenses we faced this year to justify a big raise that someone like Cleveland or Miami may pay.
I disagree.

A top/#1 CB gets about $12-15 million per season. A #2 CB gets about $8-10 million per season. Why? CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (due to the recent rule changes).

I say sign Lewis for $7-8 million... and, offer Allen a contract NOW, in the range of $6-7 million (lock him up BEFORE he becomes a full-time starter).

That would be two starting CBs for $15 million... which is a steal.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #58
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I disagree.

A top/#1 CB gets about $12-15 million per season. A #2 CB gets about $8-10 million per season. Why? CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (due to the recent rule changes).

I say sign Lewis for $7-8 million... and, offer Allen a contract NOW, in the range of $6-7 million (lock him up BEFORE he becomes a full-time starter).

That would be two starting CBs for $15 million... which is a steal.
$ 15 mio?!?! You do realize we have cap problems and you wanna give them 8 and 7 mio a year?!?! Are you crazy!!

Lewis played good this year ok I have to give him that. 5-6 Mio you definitly have to give him. But he only produced one year for us you can't give away money like sweets, man.

And Cortez Allen still has 2 years on his rookie contract so calm down a little.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #59
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,681 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
$ 15 mio?!?! You do realize we have cap problems and you wanna give them 8 and 7 mio a year?!?! Are you crazy!!

Lewis played good this year ok I have to give him that. 5-6 Mio you definitly have to give him. But he only produced one year for us you can't give away money like sweets, man.

And Cortez Allen still has 2 years on his rookie contract so calm down a little.
So... what would be your preference?

Let Lewis walk? Then, let Alken walk? And, keep drafting CBs?

I'm seriously asking.

First, as they do most years, the Steelers will cut the dead weight. Last year, it was Hines, Farrior, & Aaron Smith. This year, I expect a few more (eg The Colon). In Omar Khan I trust.

Plus, there are many other needs that need to be addresses in the draft, specifically OLB & S. So, "having" to use those picks on other positions (CB) would hinder their draft plans.

Lastly, Pittsburgh has been known for drafting & then signing their own players (the good ones). Lewis is a good CB, which warrants $7-8 million per year. Allen, I agree, could play one more year on his current contract... but, if you give a guy a smaller contract earlier, he'll usually accept it (make sense?).
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote