Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,441
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,663
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Excerpts from final grades for the 2012 squad by Gerry Dulac at the P-G

QUARTERBACK
For reasons that are as mystifying as they are surprising, Ben Roethlisberger never was the same after returning from rib/shoulder injuries that caused him to miss three games....
GRADE: B-

RUNNING BACKS
The attempt to run the ball more efficiently failed somewhat miserably ...
GRADE: C-

WIDE RECEIVERS
There might not have been a more disappointing and underachieving unit on the team than this....
GRADE: D+

OFFENSIVE LINE
After a solid start, the line became disjointed and ineffective because of injuries....
GRADE: C

DEFENSIVE LINE
Judging the defensive line mostly needs to be done collectively, not individually, because of the nature of the defense and what the linemen are asked to do. And, collectively, the Steelers finished No. 2 in the league against the run after allowing just four teams to run for more than 100 yards....
GRADE: B

LINEBACKERS
The team's 3-4 defense is built around the ability of the outside linebackers to generate pressure on the quarterback, and that didn't happen in 2012, whether because of injuries or ineffective play....
GRADE: C

SECONDARY
This unit consistently graded out higher than any other position, which is no surprise considering the Steelers led the league in pass defense for the second year in a row. There were several reasons, chief among them the drastic improvement of cornerback Keenan Lewis, the steady play of safety Ryan Clark and the stability brought by veteran Will Allen when he replaced injured safety Troy Polamalu for six games. Yes, the secondary suffered against the Chargers and the Cowboys without cornerback Ike Taylor and because of injuries to Lewis and Cortez Allen. And the cornerbacks had only three interceptions, two by Allen. But, in this era of pass-happy football, you're doing something right when you can hold seven consecutive quarterbacks to fewer than 200 yards passing.
GRADE: A


SPECIAL TEAMS
It is their fault when they get fooled twice in a span of four games on fake punts by desperate teams who had nothing to lose. It is their fault that Drew Butler's blocked punt in Tennessee and Brown's fumble in Dallas were significant turning points in those defeats. But kicker Shaun Suisham was a rock most of the season, missing only one field goal until he missed two critical ones in the must-win game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 15.
GRADE: C-

COACHING
There is no question that extensive injuries to nearly every key player had a significant effect on the team's performance.... But there is no excuse for losing four games to teams with a combined 22 victories, especially the dispirited home loss to the Chargers. Or, with a chance to make the playoffs, lose two of the last three games at home.
GRADE: D


http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...season-670234/

I more or less agree except for the seconday's grade - the unit cannot get an A with the lack of interceptions and the problems in stopping the pass after Ike Taylor went down
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect
 
Steeler7BR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 110
Member Number: 24703
Thanks: 25
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Excerpts from final grades for the 2012 squad by Gerry Dulac at the P-G

QUARTERBACK
For reasons that are as mystifying as they are surprising, Ben Roethlisberger never was the same after returning from rib/shoulder injuries that caused him to miss three games....
GRADE: B-

RUNNING BACKS
The attempt to run the ball more efficiently failed somewhat miserably ...
GRADE: C-

WIDE RECEIVERS
There might not have been a more disappointing and underachieving unit on the team than this....
GRADE: D+

OFFENSIVE LINE
After a solid start, the line became disjointed and ineffective because of injuries....
GRADE: C

DEFENSIVE LINE
Judging the defensive line mostly needs to be done collectively, not individually, because of the nature of the defense and what the linemen are asked to do. And, collectively, the Steelers finished No. 2 in the league against the run after allowing just four teams to run for more than 100 yards....
GRADE: B

LINEBACKERS
The team's 3-4 defense is built around the ability of the outside linebackers to generate pressure on the quarterback, and that didn't happen in 2012, whether because of injuries or ineffective play....
GRADE: C

SECONDARY
This unit consistently graded out higher than any other position, which is no surprise considering the Steelers led the league in pass defense for the second year in a row. There were several reasons, chief among them the drastic improvement of cornerback Keenan Lewis, the steady play of safety Ryan Clark and the stability brought by veteran Will Allen when he replaced injured safety Troy Polamalu for six games. Yes, the secondary suffered against the Chargers and the Cowboys without cornerback Ike Taylor and because of injuries to Lewis and Cortez Allen. And the cornerbacks had only three interceptions, two by Allen. But, in this era of pass-happy football, you're doing something right when you can hold seven consecutive quarterbacks to fewer than 200 yards passing.
GRADE: A


SPECIAL TEAMS
It is their fault when they get fooled twice in a span of four games on fake punts by desperate teams who had nothing to lose. It is their fault that Drew Butler's blocked punt in Tennessee and Brown's fumble in Dallas were significant turning points in those defeats. But kicker Shaun Suisham was a rock most of the season, missing only one field goal until he missed two critical ones in the must-win game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 15.
GRADE: C-

COACHING
There is no question that extensive injuries to nearly every key player had a significant effect on the team's performance.... But there is no excuse for losing four games to teams with a combined 22 victories, especially the dispirited home loss to the Chargers. Or, with a chance to make the playoffs, lose two of the last three games at home.
GRADE: D


http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...season-670234/

I more or less agree except for the seconday's grade - the unit cannot get an A with the lack of interceptions and the problems in stopping the pass after Ike Taylor went down
Next time they should get a real expert up there not somebody analysing stat sheets.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeler7BR For This Useful Post:
zcoop (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
casteeler
Head Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,545
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 212
Thanked 294 Times in 198 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Great Read,I only disagree with the coaching grade an F would be more accurate in my opinion
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect
 
Steeler7BR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 110
Member Number: 24703
Thanks: 25
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Great Read,I only disagree with the coaching grade an F would be more accurate in my opinion
Yeah exactly I think this expert in the article comes close to the seriosness of this post here.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,273
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,390
Thanked 11,741 Times in 4,794 Posts
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Here's a surprise, I don't agree with Gerry Dulac.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,695
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 10,884
Thanked 9,845 Times in 3,816 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

I don't think it's a great idea to overreact and say that the coach sucks, or they need a complete rebuild. I think we'll know by the end of next year. Let's get some people healthy and get some younger talent injected into the roster. The only thing I know for sure is that we are never going to score big points if our receivers don't improve drastically, or are replaced with more dynamic players in a better system. In the NFL, you score points with the passing game. Every expert I have heard talk about the league says that with the current rules and the state of the game in general, you must score the majority of your points through the air. The inability to catch and hold on to balls by this group was disturbing to watch, particularly after we've had to listen to how the Steelers have the best set of WR in the league. I think it's apparant to everyone that that is not the case by a long shot.

Let's see how everyone that is still with the team next year responds to a bad year with many bad individual performances.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
blackandgoldsc
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 36
Member Number: 17548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

I was a fan of The Chin and I am a fan of Tomlin. I wasn't alive (for all intents and purposes) when Chuck was coach. I like Tomlin and think he is a good coach. In no way am I wanting to ditch Tomlin....however....I think the coaching problems started to show themselves last year.....not just this year. The lack of motivation the players had for 'lesser' opponents bit us big time this year. This really started to show itself last year. Last year you could see the team was only playing hard enough to win and would only really show up for the big games (NE, BAL, etc)....this year that same lazy mentality carried over and this year it did cost us. It cost us in over half of the games that we did lose. I think the players need more discipline and that will come from the top down. I didn't buy into everyone saying that we were losing veteran leadership in the locker room without Farrior, Smith, and Ward but I was wrong. I thought the coaches would be firm enough to keep guys in line and focused and playing hard but it didn't happen. I hope next season leadership starts with the coaches and trickles down instead of relying on the players to discipline themselves.
blackandgoldsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bath, Ohio
Posts: 4,849
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 124
Thanked 313 Times in 217 Posts
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgoldsc View Post
I was a fan of The Chin and I am a fan of Tomlin. I wasn't alive (for all intents and purposes) when Chuck was coach. I like Tomlin and think he is a good coach. In no way am I wanting to ditch Tomlin....however....I think the coaching problems started to show themselves last year.....not just this year. The lack of motivation the players had for 'lesser' opponents bit us big time this year. This really started to show itself last year. Last year you could see the team was only playing hard enough to win and would only really show up for the big games (NE, BAL, etc)....this year that same lazy mentality carried over and this year it did cost us. It cost us in over half of the games that we did lose. I think the players need more discipline and that will come from the top down. I didn't buy into everyone saying that we were losing veteran leadership in the locker room without Farrior, Smith, and Ward but I was wrong. I thought the coaches would be firm enough to keep guys in line and focused and playing hard but it didn't happen. I hope next season leadership starts with the coaches and trickles down instead of relying on the players to discipline themselves.

I agree. These problems and issues surfaced last year.

I, also, do not want to get rid of Tomlin and i think he CAN turn it around. The one thing i'm sick of seeing is this team taking the field - but not showing up nor are ready to show up.
Guys just standing around on the field, hanging out, looking like the walking dead, appear to have just gotten up and not even had their morning coffee yet, etc - meanwhile the opponent teams are jumping up and down, growling, spitting, high-fiving, etc.
Got - that pisses me off.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
casteeler
Head Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,545
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 212
Thanked 294 Times in 198 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I don't think it's a great idea to overreact and say that the coach sucks, or they need a complete rebuild. I think we'll know by the end of next year. Let's get some people healthy and get some younger talent injected into the roster. The only thing I know for sure is that we are never going to score big points if our receivers don't improve drastically, or are replaced with more dynamic players in a better system. In the NFL, you score points with the passing game. Every expert I have heard talk about the league says that with the current rules and the state of the game in general, you must score the majority of your points through the air. The inability to catch and hold on to balls by this group was disturbing to watch, particularly after we've had to listen to how the Steelers have the best set of WR in the league. I think it's apparant to everyone that that is not the case by a long shot.

Let's see how everyone that is still with the team next year responds to a bad year with many bad individual performances.
I don't think saying the coaching sucked would be an overreaction because it did.Special teams were infected with problems, Haley's play calling was awful and Tomlin prepped the team well for 2-3 games the entire season. Individual performance lacked,injuries were a killer but coaching was lacking in most departments and it was apparent week in and week out, sure calling for Tomlins head was extreme and maybe uncalled for but Tomlin was a terrible head coach this year and his lame,worthless,predictable post game conferences made plenty of fans and analysts asking what the hell is Tomlin doing during the week.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,695
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 10,884
Thanked 9,845 Times in 3,816 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: P-G Final Report Card: Steelers earn a C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I don't think saying the coaching sucked would be an overreaction because it did.Special teams were infected with problems, Haley's play calling was awful and Tomlin prepped the team well for 2-3 games the entire season. Individual performance lacked,injuries were a killer but coaching was lacking in most departments and it was apparent week in and week out, sure calling for Tomlins head was extreme and maybe uncalled for but Tomlin was a terrible head coach this year and his lame,worthless,predictable post game conferences made plenty of fans and analysts asking what the hell is Tomlin doing during the week.
There's no question that some things on this team have to change, and that Tomlin has to button up some obvious issues. This is going to play itself out over the next year. One thing is clear....we need less talk and more results from players and coaches.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts