Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #111
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,370 Times in 4,782 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

2013 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Divisional Playoff Week Edition)

Jan 12th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Elam SS (Florida)

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5í10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INTís), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gatorsí Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/12...eek-edition/2/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #112
StevieRayVol
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5í10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INTís), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gatorsí Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

If we could pick up Elam and Rambo that would be quite the safety haul... Eddie Lacy and Nico Johnson with a WR would also be nice later on..
Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #113
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,519 Times in 8,885 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post

Elam

I was thinking that trading down and THEN drafting him at 25ish (plus, acquiring an extra pick) was the way to go... BUT... I am thinking more & more that he will go around 20ish. Thus, if the Steelers are going to take him, it might have to be at 17... which, I am not at all against.

He's been my favorite player for a year... and, admittedly, I am biased when I say to take him at 17.

IMO: he is a slightly lesser version of Polamalu and/or slightly better than Eric Weddle.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #114
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

I think Elam goes to the Broncos now that they lost their season on one boneheaded play from Rahim Moore.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #115
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Elam would be a great addition. but I wonder if we can get him lower than 17. Trae down, maybe draft him and package extra picks to move and take Lacey
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #116
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I think Elam goes to the Broncos now that they lost their season on one boneheaded play from Rahim Moore.
Denver may want him but since they are drafting mid to late 20's he may not be there. I like Elam, also like Ogeltree from Georgia. No mater who we pick I think we get a very god player to help, hopefully immediately. I see lots of vets purged this off season because of cap issues.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #117
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Would love Elam here in Pittsburgh. Think he really would be a great addition and just like Hawaii said under the wing of Troy and Carnell the next one or two seasons I really believe we have a stud there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Do you really think they select their future by one play? I don't know how he played the whole season and if it was a weak point of them anyway. But on one play? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRayVol View Post
If we could pick up Elam and Rambo that would be quite the safety haul...
Couldn't agree more. Would be great having those to in the secondary for a long time.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #118
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

I love the way Elam plays ... but what I see is Ryan Clark... and the NFL ruining the way he plays with all these penalties ... plus he's smaller , not sure I'd want him

and I love Rambo my favorite safety in the draft ... but do you really think the Steelers will draft another questionable player?? ... I think all he did was fail a drug test , but still I don't think they take any chances on anybody that has a "bad character" this year
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #119
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I love the way Elam plays ... but what I see is Ryan Clark... and the NFL ruining the way he plays with all these penalties ... plus he's smaller , not sure I'd want him

and I love Rambo my favorite safety in the draft ... but do you really think the Steelers will draft another questionable player?? ... I think all he did was fail a drug test , but still I don't think they take any chances on anybody that has a "bad character" this year
Just wanna ask isn't a failed drug test more on a team then the player? I mean he probably gets the prescription from the team doctors I would imagine.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #120
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Just wanna ask isn't a failed drug test more on a team then the player? I mean he probably gets the prescription from the team doctors I would imagine.
Failed it for Weed ... my mistake I probably should have said that...

I think the story goes some where along the lines of, he was in Cancun or some vacation or spring break , and ate some brownies that he didn't know had Weed in them

What do we expect college kids to do on Spring break?? ... lol I mean I would give him the benefit of the doubt , but with what just happened with Rainey do you think the Steelers would?
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote