Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,724 Times in 4,788 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win

Yeah, Plaxico Burress is the key to victory. It's not a legitimate rush attack or the offensive line staying healthy enough to give Ben a legitimate pocket, or the defense creating turnovers and winning field position - it's a 35 year old receiver that's passed his prime.

That makes sense.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
zcoop (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Yeah, Plaxico Burress is the key to victory. It's not a legitimate rush attack or the offensive line staying healthy enough to give Ben a legitimate pocket, or the defense creating turnovers and winning field position - it's a 35 year old receiver that's passed his prime.

That makes sense.
Good points in your last posts. Some folks will type anything on these boards. I liked Plax when he was here the first time. Unlike some, I was not one who wanted him to be let go but I digress. Now they're on his jock because they have a beef with our best receiver on roster. Who will they bitch about next season? Oh, I know, they'll call for Tomlin's head because our receiving corps will be so weak that we may repeat this year's performance.

They might just get what they're asking for but I don't think it would be a good move for the team in the immediate future.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

He's not a WR that the Steelers can't let go. But I surely want the Steelers to keep him for one more year. He has shown enough to me that he can contribute and his game is what the Steelers are lacking, especially after Heath Miller's injury.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
He's not a WR that the Steelers can't let go. But I surely want the Steelers to keep him for one more year. He has shown enough to me that he can contribute and his game is what the Steelers are lacking, especially after Heath Miller's injury.
I agree, he's not the long term solution, but all we needed against the Bengals was a one game solution and we would have been in the playoffs. His first game against the Browns he drew a PI call in the end zone for our only TD, he made a great catch in traffic on a 3rd and forever for a first down against the Cowboys, and he caught our last TD of the year. He should have been dressed against the Bengals.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torpedoshell31 For This Useful Post:
plenewken (01-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,105 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I find it very hard to believe that Plexico held the key to victory and to be so focused on a has-been WR is just .... so childish
That's not what I said...watch with the name-calling. I don't think it's that crazy to say that he gave the Steelers a better chance to win than say Robert Golden or one of the other guys who got dressed over him.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,003 Times in 2,372 Posts
My Mood: Fine

he should have been given more looks, along with Cotchery, the way the Loose Change Gang was performing.

Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Plax

I'll take something different than the constant drops. The shame is, that 2 of the 4 on the alternate lineup couldn't hold on to a freakin ball either.

ugh - ANOTHER POSITION PROBLEM, ALONG WITH RB
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,675 Times in 6,013 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Pittsburgh Steelers 2013 Free Agents Analysis: WR Plaxico Burress Unrestricted

Saturday, January 12th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

We continue on now with our offseason look at Pittsburgh Steelers free agents. We will continue to knock these out over the course of the next few weeks as we move closer towards the start of free agency. Our analysis and breakdown of unrestricted free agents started has so far included quarterback Charlie Batch and nose tackle Casey Hampton, and will now move forward today with a look at veteran wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Player: Plaxico Burress

Position: Wide Receiver

Experience: 11 Years

Free Agent Status: Unrestricted

2012 Salary Cap Hit: $326,471 (6 Games)

2012 Season Breakdown: Burress sat at home waiting for the phone to ring most of the season. When Antonio Brown went down with his ankle injury in the game against the New York Giants the Steelers wide receiver unit got thin. When Jerricho Cotchery went down with his rib injury in the first meeting against the Baltimore Ravens the Steelers called Burress and signed him to a one year deal for the veteran minimum.

Burress made his debut in the Week 12 game against the Cleveland Browns and even started in a three wide receiver set. He was targeted twice by quarterback Charlie Batch late in the first half and drew a pass interference penalty on Browns defensive back Sheldon Brown on the second of the two throws in his direction which led to the Steelers second, and last touchdown of the game. The next throw to Burress midway through the third quarter was intercepted by Brown. On the play it appeared as if Burress rounded off the top of his out route lazily which gave Brown the opportunity to break on the pass.

The following week in the second game against the Ravens Burress played just one snap as he came in to spell Mike Wallace who had to leave the game briefly after jamming his knee. Burress finally recorded his first reception of the season in the Week 14 game against the San Diego Chargers when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threaded a pass through heavy traffic to Burress across the middle to convert a third down and long late in the first quarter. The reception was good for 18 yards. He was unsuccessfully targeted once more late in the loss.

When both Brown and Cotchery returned to health it resulted in Burress being inactive for the games against the Dallas Cowboys and the Cincinnati Bengals. He would, however, suit up for the meaningless season finale against the Browns and caught 2 passes from Roethlisberger for 24 yards, the second of which was a touchdown from 12 yards out with 3:25 left in the game. It would wind up being the Steelers last touchdown of the 2012 season as well.

Free Agency Outlook: Burress will turn 36 in August and you have to think that this might be the end of the line for him. He is no longer an every down player and is considered nothing more than a red zone threat thanks to his size. The Steelers former first round draft pick also has a history of back issues that will always be a concern moving forward. He doesn't block and doesn't play on special teams in addition to all of the above.

While the return of Burress to Pittsburgh was certainly great to see, any fan that is holding out hope that he will be with the team once training camp rolls around will more than likely be disappointed. If by some miracle he does sign back, it will be very late in the offseason and it will be a one-year veteran qualifying contract that comes with a discounted salary cap hit.

The potential loss of Wallace in the upcoming free agency period will result in the Steelers turning to the draft to reload. Keep in mind that Cotchery is currently under contract for next season as well and he is 5 years younger than Burress. The Steelers must get younger at the position, not older.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...icted/12640795
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
I don't think he is the key to victory. He is an ingredient to a formula - an ingredient the Steelers sorely miss. I don't think the issue is that it is Plex, just the fact that he is a huge receiver who can make catches, especially in the end zone. The last game proved he could contribute, and guess what, they won!

What does this team need with yet another speedy, stone-handed 5' 11" 195 lb. receiver anyway? We have enough of those. We need a large, physical WR and another TE to complement Miller.
I'm guessing none of you remember Plax playing in Pittsburgh the first time around. He had all the talent then too. He was known for stopping in the middle of routes, lazy at times and other than 1 season was pretty average.

The Steelers decided to sign Hines Ward big and let Plax walk away.

Fast forward to 2012......8 years older, a convicted felon and had not played in over a year. I just don't grasp how people on this board could possibly think this guy could be a key piece to a Winning team.
TheVet (01-15-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Coaching is bad. There is no doubt about that.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Seeing Plax back on the field in a Steelers uniform was like a dream come true. And seeing how little playtime he was given? A nightmare. As someone who usually at least tries to come up with some sort of logic behind the decisions made by Tomlin (right on up to the Rooneys themselves), this was yet another one of those times where the Steelers Organization left me scratching my head - I mean, seriously - why did they even bother? What was the point, exactly?

If it was to have him score the final TD of the season (as well as his one and only) in an utterly meaningless game, then I guess in that regards, they succeeded!