Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Beachum will be part of rebuilt offensive line

Starks said he wants to return but only as a starter and there is no way he will do league minimum again. He took that two years in a row and since we can't afford to pay him what he is worth he will be playing for another team next season. I wish we could keep him but we won't. This is his last opportunity to get paid and I won't blame him when he takes it. Most teams left tackles are there second highest paid position. Ours played for league minimum for two years and was our most consistent and healthy lineman. He deserves to get paid.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Starks said he wants to return but only as a starter and there is no way he will do league minimum again. He took that two years in a row and since we can't afford to pay him what he is worth he will be playing for another team next season. I wish we could keep him but we won't. This is his last opportunity to get paid and I won't blame him when he takes it. Most teams left tackles are there second highest paid position. Ours played for league minimum for two years and was our most consistent and healthy lineman. He deserves to get paid.
He does deserve to get paid, but will any other team really take him? I mean they should, but it was the exact same situation last offseason and nobody offered him anything, that was the only reason he came back here. He seems to be really poorly thought-of by the rest of the league.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,799 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
He does deserve to get paid, but will any other team really take him? I mean they should, but it was the exact same situation last offseason and nobody offered him anything, that was the only reason he came back here. He seems to be really poorly thought-of by the rest of the league.
for as much as people have been raving about McKinnie or whoever on the Ravens for 2 solid performances - you def don't hear enough talk about Max Starks - I think I remember Troy Aikman as the last guy I heard from in regards to giving props to the fella - and obviously Ben

Now, if Starks is gone and Ben complains that his friend is gone - I'll take Ben's side on this one

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

I like the sounds of that offensive line. IF they can stay healthy, they can gel together and potentially be a strength of our team for years. I hate to be somewhat pessimistic though, but Gilbert's ability to stay healthy concerns the hell out of me. I can't remember a game that he's played in that he hasn't come hobbling off the field with some sort of injury. I know injuries are part of the game, but damn, dude has got it bad. Looks like we may have to use some mid to late round draft picks on the o-line to add some depth. How long is Legursky under contract? He's a solid backup at c/g.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,524 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
wouldn't it be preferable for decastro to be the starting LG where his pulling ability can be used more?
decastro spent his career at stanford pulling to the left. thats what made him so intriguing. it gives the steelers more options in the run game.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

If Beachum is a starter, then the Steelers are not serious about protecting Ben.

"But Beachum did well! He can be a starter!"

Yeah, and Jonathan Scott did well in 2010. Beachum is a backup.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,247 Times in 4,388 Posts
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
If Beachum is a starter, then the Steelers are not serious about protecting Ben.

I agree,

Beachum can be a better version of Trai Essex and have the position flexibility to back up 4 of the 5 OL spots.

but as a starter, no. I seriously hope we re-sign Ramon Foster to start at LG next season.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,968 Times in 8,005 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

You keep saying this, and people keep reminding you that Foster was an URFA. And, Foster played very well. Beachum was a late-round pick... who played well.

I guess that the Saints weren't ever serious about protecting Drew Bree's, because they manned their OG spots with a couple of LATE-round picks: Carl Nicks & Jahri Evans.

Likewise, the Taperiots sure aren't concerned about winning, what with them starting a R6 QB & all.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
AgentGold007 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,980 Times in 895 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

Have you been watching the games at all? He played 5 games and he did a very good job and what makes you think that he will not improve next year
So decastro will be a beast because he was picked in the first round but beachum is a back up because he was picked in the 7th round
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post

Have you been watching the games at all? He played 5 games and he did a very good job and what makes you think that he will not improve next year
So decastro will be a beast because he was picked in the first round but beachum is a back up because he was picked in the 7th round
Yes, lets cut Colon and let Foster go and start the 7th rounder in their place. Jonathan Scott did a good job in 2010. How'd he do in 2011? Sometimes, guys do better the fewer games they play.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote