Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,470 Times in 9,914 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
There are plently of defenses in the league that don't have a Harrison or a Polamalu and still get more turnovers than the Steelers. The Steelers played conservative on defense all season until the last two games. Not enough pressure up front, and the DBs were instructed to "tackle the catch" instead of trying to jump a route and pick off a pass.

Josh Victorian playing really doesn't have anything to do with it. Wallace and Mendenhall are probably gone, as is Starks and at least one of Colon and Foster. Heath may not be ready for the start of the season. The Steelers will be much more shorthanded on offense than on defense by the time the draft rolls around. Considering what these playoffs have shown, you need to put up points. Ball control and hoping the defense keeps the team in it won't be enough.

Final scores in divisional weekend: 38-35, 45-31, 30-28, 38-28. Are the Steelers going to stubbornly stick to their philosophies and draft mostly defense, or will they accept it's time to change and load up on skill positions on offense?
So, exactly what would you suggest the draft look like? You complain about Colbert's drafting... so, please, enlighten us on what you'd do in this draft.

Likewise, since the offense needs help, why aren't you suggesting that Wallace & Spinny be resigned??? That's odd that you don't want them.

Is it a money issue? If so, to free up money, are you suggesting that the Steelers stop their archaic ways, and cut contracts of Harrison, Troy, Ike, & Woodley? Heck, Timmons & Clark should probably be cut, as well. Lastly, I'm assuming you don't want them to resign Lewis either. Right?

Does that sound "modern" enough?... or, are you suggesting even more cuts? Because, really, who needs playmakers, when we all know it's all a matter of simply "not handcuffing" any old defender. Chris Carter is obviously just as capable as James Harrison.

So, Yes, using your impeccable logic: let's not draft ANY defenders any more... ever. Because, the Steelers need to get with the modern times of drafting solely offensive players. Right?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #42
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
The more I truly think about it the less I am convinced that Wallace leaves. Perhaps Plaxico is chirping in his ear telling him the grass isn't always greener.
I agree. I have stated my disdain for Wallace, but he is still a good WR (who could be great). Plus, BB wants him; he is BB's top priority (Ben's words)... and, thus, I see a deal getting down (even BB giving up $2-3 million of his own money, to resign him).

5 years, $52 million.

Re: Rey Mauauaualuauauaga
I'd rather use that money to re-sign Keenan Lewis. Plus, I like Spence/think spence should get a shot.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,419 Times in 4,681 Posts

It has nothing to do with being stubborn about our defensive philosophies. The reason the Patriots were putting up those numbers was because of a total team effort. They lead in the turnover differential and had Tom Brady as their Quarterback - those things together will = points.

We need to draft a WR or RB in the second round, depending on who is available. Beyond that, our defense is older and less talented at this point than our offense. OLB, ILB and S are bigger needs than what you're making them out to be. Right now, they're glaring holes and we need to draft younger guys to help reload our defense. Quality, playmaking WRs can be found in all rounds of this draft. On the flip side, there's only a couple of legitimate pass rushers and inside 'Backers in this draft and they're all going to be taken in the high rounds (1 - 3). That's why we absolutely have to address two of these positions in the first three rounds.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
teegre (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,419 Times in 4,681 Posts

I think the Burress example was a little iffy. I mean, he did win a Super Bowl with the Giants when he left here. That being said, Wallace should go have a long talk with Santonio Holmes and talk about being a selfish player and what it's done for him over in New York playing with Sanchez. There's playing for money, then there's playing for money and playing for a perennial Super Bowl contender like the Steelers are. If the Steelers table him another 5 year / 50 million dollar deal, I think he takes it. He might get more elsewhere, but who is he going to be playing with? The way I see it, there's only three legitimate contenders that have the cap space and/or need to fill.

1. Miami Dolphins
2. Buffalo Bills
3. New York Jets

Take a long, hard look at that list. The first thing that will jump out is they're playing in the AFC East. That's right, they're all playing against Tom Brady and his Patriots. So, that should be a red flag right there. The second thing, only one of those teams have a legitimate Quarterback of the future and it's the 'Fins. So, the 'Fins have Tannehill but Wallace would be his only legitimate receiving threat. Sure, you'll get 85+ catches, but you'll also be 5 - 11 so I think the con's outweigh the pro's there.

It all comes down to what Wallace thinks is best for him: a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal with the Steelers, or a 5 year / 55+ million dollar deal with a team that has no chance of seeing postseason action, let alone a shot at the title, for many, many years. Someone has to sit him down and tell him that because apparently, Bus Cook isn't.

So, how does this tie into our draft? If Wallace leaves, it doesn't matter who is on the board in the second round - we have to go WR. I'm a huge Manny Sanders fan and I think he's underrated and needs to be given a shot, but I don't trust Cotch and Burress as our 3rd and 4th receivers for many different reasons. First and foremost, they're old. Grabbing someone like Robert Woods or Cordarrelle Patterson in the second round gives us another shot of youth in our receiving core. Secondly, they're not all that talented. They have sure hands when they get separation, but they're never able to get separation unless Ben goes sandlot and makes something out of nothing.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,752 Posts

lol...the steelers made it pretty clear they are done dicking around with wallace. giving his offer to brown was a big ole "up yours mikey" move.
the lackluster effort and performance last year just sealed the "no" deal. i wouldn't be suprised to see wallace in cinncinatti or cleveland.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It has nothing to do with being stubborn about our defensive philosophies. The reason the Patriots were putting up those numbers was because of a total team effort. They lead in the turnover differential and had Tom Brady as their Quarterback - those things together will = points.
Whenever the Steelers defense got a turnover this year, it was run, run, sack punt. Whenever the Patriots defense gets a turnover, their offense goes for the jugular. So yes, there is a difference in philosophy. The Patriots play modern football - they play for points. The Steelers think it's still about possession. They don't go for the jugular because they're afraid the defense won't get enough rest if they do.

Quote:
We need to draft a WR or RB in the second round, depending on who is available. Beyond that, our defense is older and less talented at this point than our offense. OLB, ILB and S are bigger needs than what you're making them out to be. Right now, they're glaring holes and we need to draft younger guys to help reload our defense. Quality, playmaking WRs can be found in all rounds of this draft. On the flip side, there's only a couple of legitimate pass rushers and inside 'Backers in this draft and they're all going to be taken in the high rounds (1 - 3). That's why we absolutely have to address two of these positions in the first three rounds.
They'll need a TE too. Paulson and Pope aren't starters and cannot replace Heath.

Did you watch the playoffs this weekend? Some of those high-ranked defenses gave up a lot of points. Putting up points is what's most important, not possessing and hoping the defense keeps the team in it. Time to change philosophies.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #47
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
So, exactly what would you suggest the draft look like? You complain about Colbert's drafting... so, please, enlighten us on what you'd do in this draft.

Likewise, since the offense needs help, why aren't you suggesting that Wallace & Spinny be resigned??? That's odd that you don't want them.

Is it a money issue? If so, to free up money, are you suggesting that the Steelers stop their archaic ways, and cut contracts of Harrison, Troy, Ike, & Woodley? Heck, Timmons & Clark should probably be cut, as well. Lastly, I'm assuming you don't want them to resign Lewis either. Right?

Does that sound "modern" enough?... or, are you suggesting even more cuts? Because, really, who needs playmakers, when we all know it's all a matter of simply "not handcuffing" any old defender. Chris Carter is obviously just as capable as James Harrison.

So, Yes, using your impeccable logic: let's not draft ANY defenders any more... ever. Because, the Steelers need to get with the modern times of drafting solely offensive players. Right?
More knee-jerking from you. I said they should draft a pass rusher. But considering who will probably leave in free agency, that offense will be more shorthanded than the defense. So yes, I'd stack up more on offense this year and score more points and not have to rely so much on the defense being ranked #1 in yards allowed.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #48
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
More knee-jerking from you. I said they should draft a pass rusher. But considering who will probably leave in free agency, that offense will be more shorthanded than the defense. So yes, I'd stack up more on offense this year and score more points and not have to rely so much on the defense being ranked #1 in yards allowed.
And I suggested a RB, WR, & TE... but, you wanted more... and posted one of your usual tangents (the one about not needing defense).

So, again, please enlighten us: who would YOU draft? Don't just complain... take the reins.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #49
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
And I suggested a RB, WR, & TE... but, you wanted more... and posted one of your usual tangents (the one about not needing defense).

So, again, please enlighten us: who would YOU draft? Don't just complain... take the reins.
I explained in my original post what I would take.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #50
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I explained in my original post what I would take.
It was vague at best. You did not list rounds for positions, let alone any players... so, again, stop complaining and take the reins. Enlighten us.