Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #51
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Starter

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It was vague at best. You did not list rounds for positions, let alone any players... so, again, stop complaining and take the reins. Enlighten us.
I can see where godor7 is coming and what he means.

The defense is number one again (and that's based on total years allowed ) but we were 8-8. A lot of people want to load up on defense in early picks so we can maintain this number one defense, which isn't a major need. We have some young players waiting in the wings of our defense and those guys are young and fast Allen Lewis even brown, heyward will be a quality de McClendon is faster are could be just has good as Hampton with the ability to stay on third down to generate some pass rush., and the verdit is still out on worilds spence and slyvester. Our biggest problem would lay in the safety spot where there is no clear cut replacement for either Troy or Clark and they both will be back be next year.

We don't have to maintain this top 5 defense to win another Super Bowl. What the defense needs to do more is generate turnovers and score ie more int and more fumbles something Allen showed in the last game, punching the ball out and such.

So with our young players waiting to step up we should focus more on offense then we do defense especially in the early rounds.

I especially would like our offense to be able to drive down and score a lot more than we did last year. Also I hated watching three and outs punting the ball and giving it away to the opposing team at the 50. We would also give the other team a short field to work with and then in turn we would always have 70+ yards to go.

We can always use another oline wr rb te more needs on offense than defense for next year
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
GoFor7 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #52
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,001 Times in 5,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I can see where godor7 is coming and what he means.

The defense is number one again (and that's based on total years allowed ) but we were 8-8. A lot of people want to load up on defense in early picks so we can maintain this number one defense, which isn't a major need. We have some young players waiting in the wings of our defense and those guys are young and fast Allen Lewis even brown, heyward will be a quality de McClendon is faster are could be just has good as Hampton with the ability to stay on third down to generate some pass rush., and the verdit is still out on worilds spence and slyvester. Our biggest problem would lay in the safety spot where there is no clear cut replacement for either Troy or Clark and they both will be back be next year.

We don't have to maintain this top 5 defense to win another Super Bowl. What the defense needs to do more is generate turnovers and score ie more int and more fumbles something Allen showed in the last game, punching the ball out and such.

So with our young players waiting to step up we should focus more on offense then we do defense especially in the early rounds.

I especially would like our offense to be able to drive down and score a lot more than we did last year. Also I hated watching three and outs punting the ball and giving it away to the opposing team at the 50. We would also give the other team a short field to work with and then in turn we would always have 70+ yards to go.

We can always use another oline wr rb te more needs on offense than defense for next year
Oh, I understood Gofor7's initial post. See my initial response to him. Heck, I even "thanked" his initial post.

I had an issue with his notion that Colbert is "stuck in the 90s" (drafting defensive players & ignoring the offense). As if Pouncey, Wallace, DD, & AB is "ignoring" the offense. It's that "little bit" extra that he adds, the derision, that gets me riled up. Anyway...

This defense is predicated on pressure from the OLBs. Harrison looked better as the year wore on, and if Woodley goes on a diet, he should be back to his 12-sack-per-season form. BUT, Harrison has one year left in the tank, and it'd be nice to have a young player in the mix, to rotate with Harrison and/or Woodley.

Furthermore, when Harrison was healthy, Allen got turnovers; the two things are related (which is why I want a pass-rusher).

I know that some like Worilds, but he is nothing more than Clark Haggans... and I want Joey Porter.

As I posted to Hawaii, this defense is indeed young... if the "back-ups" ever start. Truthfully, the only two positions where there is not a young starter is OLB & both S spots.

Ergo, I say: OLB & S... followed by a tall WR (see my post to SteelersCanada about that), a RB (Lattimore would be a calculated risk), and a TE. Then, in R6 & R7, take a stab at another S (to replace Clark) and then an O-lineman (for back up purposes & to development).

Last edited by teegre; 01-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #53
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

In my opinion, the Steelers first pick in the draft should be a tight end, specifically Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame or Zach Ertz of Stanford.

Let’s talk critical need. When will Heath Miller be ready to go? Week 5 like Mendenhall or Week 1 like Adrian Peterson? Are you going to take a chance you won’t have a quality tight end for a fourth of the season? And I don’t even want to hear about Pope and Paulson.

Who was the most productive receiver on the Steelers this season? Heath was. Why is that? First of course, he’s an awesome player. Second, Haley’s offensive scheme featured the role of the tight end in a middle of the field ball control game plan.

Are any of our wide receivers Hines Ward? It appeared to me that Wallace, Brown, and Sanders don’t like going over the middle to catch it all that much. Hence, dropped balls and fumbles. Another quality tight end means the possibility of more two tight end sets. You know, like Gronk and Hernandez.

Eifert and Ertz, the two top rated tight ends in the draft, are about the same 6’6’ 250 pound size and I don’t see much to distinguish one from the other. Both are projected to go mid first round to mid second round in the draft.

The Steelers could possibly move down in the first round and still get one of these guys and pick up an extra pick. To wait until our pick in the second round, however, might mean both are gone.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #54
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
In my opinion, the Steelers first pick in the draft should be a tight end, specifically Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame or Zach Ertz of Stanford.

Letís talk critical need. When will Heath Miller be ready to go? Week 5 like Mendenhall or Week 1 like Adrian Peterson? Are you going to take a chance you wonít have a quality tight end for a fourth of the season? And I donít even want to hear about Pope and Paulson.

Who was the most productive receiver on the Steelers this season? Heath was. Why is that? First of course, heís an awesome player. Second, Haleyís offensive scheme featured the role of the tight end in a middle of the field ball control game plan.

Are any of our wide receivers Hines Ward? It appeared to me that Wallace, Brown, and Sanders donít like going over the middle to catch it all that much. Hence, dropped balls and fumbles. Another quality tight end means the possibility of more two tight end sets. You know, like Gronk and Hernandez.

Eifert and Ertz, the two top rated tight ends in the draft, are about the same 6í6í 250 pound size and I donít see much to distinguish one from the other. Both are projected to go mid first round to mid second round in the draft.

The Steelers could possibly move down in the first round and still get one of these guys and pick up an extra pick. To wait until our pick in the second round, however, might mean both are gone.
Nice first post. Well thought out & rational.

Now... even though I want an OLB & a S, you make a solid argument.

I was posting to SteelersCanada just this morning that the Steelers' solution to their red-zone woes might just be a tall WR or another TE.

As you said, TE is key to BB's success... and they line up with two TEs for enough plays to warrant a high pick. At 17, no. Trading back, maybe. R2, I'm listening. R3, sure.

I've made a concession with others. I get my S in R1, and a LB in R3... and you can have your TE (or WR) in R2. Deal?

I'd risk Ertz dropping. If he's gone, then there are a bunch around the end of R2/beginning of R3. In which case, I suggest waiting to R3 for Gavin Escobar (he plays more like Aaron Hernandez, less like Gronk).
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #55
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Starter

Quote:
Oh, I understood Gofor7's initial post. See my initial response to him. Heck, I even "thanked" his initial post.

I had an issue with his notion that Colbert is "stuck in the 90s" (drafting defensive players & ignoring the offense). As if Pouncey, Wallace, DD, & AB is "ignoring" the offense. It's that "little bit" extra that he adds, the derision, that gets me riled up. Anyway...

This defense is predicated on pressure from the OLBs. Harrison looked better as the year wore on, and if Woodley goes on a diet, he should be back to his 12-sack-per-season form. BUT, Harrison has one year left in the tank, and it'd be nice to have a young player in the mix, to rotate with Harrison and/or Woodley.

Furthermore, when Harrison was healthy, Allen got turnovers; the two things are related (which is why I want a pass-rusher).

I know that some like Worilds, but he is nothing more than Clark Haggans... and I want Joey Porter.

As I posted to Hawaii, this defense is indeed young... if the "back-ups" ever start. Truthfully, the only two positions where there is not a young starter is OLB & both S spots.

Ergo, I say: OLB & S... followed by a tall WR (see my post to SteelersCanada about that), a RB (Lattimore would be a calculated risk), and a TE. Then, in R6 & R7, take a stab at another S (to replace Clark) and then an O-lineman (for back up purposes & to development).
I'd have to say I'm very happy with Colbert and his decision making ESP in round one see I agree with you there. He is a reason why we have been successful year in and year out.

Yes the defense relies on the pass rush. But the reason like you said last year was a unhealthy Harrison and Woolley with look to be a bit slow but he also has had his slu of injuries. Next year I believe they both with come back with double digit sacks, with worilds rotating and eventually taking over for Harrison. This will be worlids make it or break it year you cant say he is a haggans type cause we dont know. I don't see us taking olb in first i also don't think it's that pressing of a need especially I don't believe there will be anyone worth taking at 17th.

And Allen I believe had two fumbles by him self in the browns game not cause of what Harrison did. Our cornerbacks and safeties need to be better on breaking on the ball reading the qb and catching the ball. Clark goes for e big hit to mUch

I don't think we will go olb in round one nor should we. Offense should be focused on in the early part of the draft. This draft will be a tricking one to debate this early on cause I really don't see a clear cut great pick for us at 17 that fills a big need and makes our team better.

I would like to see the offense manage 30 points more so than not. You score points especially early on you make teams one dimensional.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #56
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I'd have to say I'm very happy with Colbert and his decision making ESP in round one see I agree with you there. He is a reason why we have been successful year in and year out.

Yes the defense relies on the pass rush. But the reason like you said last year was a unhealthy Harrison and Woolley with look to be a bit slow but he also has had his slu of injuries. Next year I believe they both with come back with double digit sacks, with worilds rotating and eventually taking over for Harrison. This will be worlids make it or break it year you cant say he is a haggans type cause we dont know. I don't see us taking olb in first i also don't think it's that pressing of a need especially I don't believe there will be anyone worth taking at 17th.

And Allen I believe had two fumbles by him self in the browns game not cause of what Harrison did. Our cornerbacks and safeties need to be better on breaking on the ball reading the qb and catching the ball. Clark goes for e big hit to mUch

I don't think we will go olb in round one nor should we. Offense should be focused on in the early part of the draft. This draft will be a tricking one to debate this early on cause I really don't see a clear cut great pick for us at 17 that fills a big need and makes our team better.

I would like to see the offense manage 30 points more so than not. You score points especially early on you make teams one dimensional.
Okay... let's assume Worilds starts on 2014. (We can agree to disagree on that.) The S position still needs two players by 2014... and thus, one HAS to be drafted this year. And, early.

Look at when this team has been successful: when they've had a dominant safety: Donnie Shell, Carnell Lake, and Troy Polamalu...

...and, Matt Elam.

ALLEN
You're right: he punched those fumbles out on his own. Can't agree more: he's gonna be special. Ike Taylor, part II.

I was thinking about his INTs. The INTs came when Harrison got in the QBs face. I'm sure Cortez had 95% to do with it, but I'm sure that the pressure helped that extra little bit... the difference between a better pass and an INT.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Starter

Quote:
Okay... let's assume Worilds starts on 2014. (We can agree to disagree on that.) The S position still needs two players by 2014... and thus, one HAS to be drafted this year. And, early.

Look at when this team has been successful: when they've had a dominant safety: Donnie Shell, Carnell Lake, and Troy Polamalu...

...and, Matt Elam.

ALLEN
You're right: he punched those fumbles out on his own. Can't agree more: he's gonna be special. Ike Taylor, part II.

I was thinking about his INTs. The INTs came when Harrison got in the QBs face. I'm sure Cortez had 95% to do with it, but I'm sure that the pressure helped that extra little bit... the difference between a better pass and an INT.

I'm not saying I think worilds will be next great steelers linebacker although I hope, but no one really knows yet. We have always develope our linebackers to be great, every so often when we need a backer someone steps up we produce linebackers.

I do think safety is our biggest defensive need, and I wouldn't be oppose to selecting one in the first to be able to sit this year play special teams maybe some nickel and learn behide one of the best safeties in the league. Guys like vaccaro or Elam the top 2 safeties in the draft in my opinion would be great guys for the steelers.

I think Allen will be great. When we drafted him he was said to be the mold of Ike so your right there.

If defense was How went in round one I would be ok with safety then wr/rb/oline/te to follow in 2 and 3 maybe 4 then get depth defense.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #58
AgentGold007
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20176

The Steelers need to get younger on defense, while at the same time, add some more pop on the offense. As usual, they won't have very much money, if any, to spend in free agency, so what do they do? We may have had the number one defense this past season, but when it came to making game changing plays, it seemed like they were often a step late far too many times. We were a step late when it came to sacks, we were a step late when it came to recovering fumbles, a step late when it came to batting down passes or getting interceptions. To me, that's a sign of an aging defense that needs to make a smoothe transition to younger players while they still have serviceable veterans around. The offense was disappointing when it came to scoring touchdowns and not settling for field goals. To me, there's no reason why we shouldn't be as explosive as the Patriots on offense. This draft screams for us to move down in the draft and accumulate as many draft picks as possible to address our needs with some young guns.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #59
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,089 Times in 3,058 Posts

We can't waste a pick on a Tight End. Again, pick up Martellus Bennett or Delanie Walker in free agency as a stop gap, or potentially a long-term answer at the TE position.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #60
AgentGold007
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20176

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We can't waste a pick on a Tight End. Again, pick up Martellus Bennett or Delanie Walker in free agency as a stop gap, or potentially a long-term answer at the TE position.
With what money? As much as I'd like to see the Steelers to be able to spend money in free agency, I wouldn't count on it.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote