Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,012 Posts
Default Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Woodley

Let me preface this by saying that you should all head over to SteelersDepot - I site I frequent - and read the article by Dave Bryan. The guy knows his stuff and posts up to date and accurate information, usually with a great sense of humor. I'll pick the highlights out of the article, but I encourage you to read the entire thing.

Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley

By: Dave Bryan

... I also mentioned that Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley in that post has been a lightning rod for criticism this past season for underperforming and looking like he was out of shape and overweight. As it turns out, Shaw told Harris (of PT-R) recently that he thinks he can help Woodley with his hamstring problems that have plagued him since injuring the left one in a week 8 win over the New England Patriots.

“There are three ways to pull a hamstring — overuse, overstriding and dehydration,” Shaw said. “A linebacker who makes 80 percent of his plays within 10 yards is playing within a box. He shouldn‘t hit his (full) stride length. I want Woodley to come down here. He‘s a hard worker, but we teach the proper way to run.”

Prior to the hamstring injury suffered in the third quarter game against the Patriots, Woodley had recorded 36 total tackles and 9 sacks on the season. I will remind you that this game was only the eighth in the season. Can you imagine what kind of numbers Woodley would have put up if he managed to stay healthy that season?

“You need guys that understand the importance of doing what you‘re supposed to do,‘‘ strength and conditioning coach Tom Shaw said. “This is your career; this is your livelihood.

“The whole purpose of offseason training is you don‘t want to drop off and have to work to get back to where you were during the season instead of using that time to work on getting better.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...his-offseason/

My take? Go LaMarr. Go right now. I've been saying for a long time that when he was healthy, he was a top 5 OLB in the NFL. When that hamstring isn't nagging him, he's an absolute stud and beast on the left side. He needs to go to Shaw and work out with him ASAP. This is the same Tom Shaw that Ike Taylor swears by, and he's been playing lights out the last couple of years. Adding LaMarr Woodley to his training program can only mean good things for the Steelers and our lack of pass rush.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,051 Times in 2,588 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Woodley

was just reading that, and i think it would be a great idea for lamarr. when he's in shape, he's a hell of an OLB
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I hope this happens. We really need Woodley to get back in shape.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Best news I've heard in a while, sure hope it happens.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Unfortunately the problem with Woodley's conditioning is Woodley. He needs to commit and get to work, or this contract will be his last.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkstorm05 For This Useful Post:
Penn (01-29-2013), Terminator (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,028 Times in 562 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Go do it Woodley! This man wants to help you be the #1 LB we know you can be.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Its hard to believe our coaching staff couldn't see that Woodley was carrying too much weight and out of shape. They need to make it a priority in the off season to see that he comes to camp in at his best playing weight and with an offseason regiment that will prevent his multitude of injuries (hamstrings).
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Let me preface this by saying that you should all head over to SteelersDepot - I site I frequent - and read the article by Dave Bryan. The guy knows his stuff and posts up to date and accurate information, usually with a great sense of humor. I'll pick the highlights out of the article, but I encourage you to read the entire thing.

Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley

By: Dave Bryan

... I also mentioned that Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley in that post has been a lightning rod for criticism this past season for underperforming and looking like he was out of shape and overweight. As it turns out, Shaw told Harris (of PT-R) recently that he thinks he can help Woodley with his hamstring problems that have plagued him since injuring the left one in a week 8 win over the New England Patriots.

“There are three ways to pull a hamstring — overuse, overstriding and dehydration,” Shaw said. “A linebacker who makes 80 percent of his plays within 10 yards is playing within a box. He shouldn‘t hit his (full) stride length. I want Woodley to come down here. He‘s a hard worker, but we teach the proper way to run.”

Prior to the hamstring injury suffered in the third quarter game against the Patriots, Woodley had recorded 36 total tackles and 9 sacks on the season. I will remind you that this game was only the eighth in the season. Can you imagine what kind of numbers Woodley would have put up if he managed to stay healthy that season?

“You need guys that understand the importance of doing what you‘re supposed to do,‘‘ strength and conditioning coach Tom Shaw said. “This is your career; this is your livelihood.

“The whole purpose of offseason training is you don‘t want to drop off and have to work to get back to where you were during the season instead of using that time to work on getting better.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...his-offseason/

My take? Go LaMarr. Go right now. I've been saying for a long time that when he was healthy, he was a top 5 OLB in the NFL. When that hamstring isn't nagging him, he's an absolute stud and beast on the left side. He needs to go to Shaw and work out with him ASAP. This is the same Tom Shaw that Ike Taylor swears by, and he's been playing lights out the last couple of years. Adding LaMarr Woodley to his training program can only mean good things for the Steelers and our lack of pass rush.
Love what I'm hearing here. At least theres a reason now why he underpeformes and why he had such a bad season. He's hurt ok thats bad but it seems like they can do something about it now which is awesome. I even give him a walk on his overweight I mean as an pro athlete this is a no go but with a hamstring injury over a whole year men thats though.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

The whole team should head down there. This team was unconditioned if you ask me. Hell, even Ike Taylor got hurt this season.

I've soured on Mike Tomlin. It took awhile to start feeling that way, but there was too much ineptitude and stupidity going on this season.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,786 Times in 7,928 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbsteeler View Post
Hell, even Ike Taylor got hurt this season.
Yes. Ike should have encased his bones in adamantium.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (01-29-2013), Steel_Bus_24 (01-19-2013), wwhickok (01-15-2013)