Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Harbaugh Jealousy

I hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of both the San Francisco 49ers and the hated Baltimore Ugly Crows. Why? Because they have the Harbaughs for their head coaches, and these guys seem to know how to make tough decisions, identify talent, and put together tough, high-achieving teams. And I haven't noticed them screwing up challenges, rolling the dice on crazy plays, wasting timeouts and mismanaging clocks on Sunday afternoons. These guys are the real deal, seriously, they're up there with very few others (and we all know who they are).

I'm jealous, I gotta admit it. I'd like to have a top tier head coach, too. It's not that I don't like Tomlin, there are surely many worse; and the Steelers infrastructure can provide a lot of support that can help an OK coach succeed. But wow, wouldn't it be great to go to war with the best possible leadership?
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Harbaugh Jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of both the San Francisco 49ers and the hated Baltimore Ugly Crows. Why? Because they have the Harbaughs for their head coaches, and these guys seem to know how to make tough decisions, identify talent, and put together tough, high-achieving teams. And I haven't noticed them screwing up challenges, wasting timeouts and mismanaging clocks on Sunday afternoons. These guys are the real deal, seriously, they're up there with very few others (and we all know who they are).

I'm jealous, I gotta admit it. I'd like to have a top tier head coach too. It's not that I don't like Tomlin, there are surely many worse. But wow, wouldn't it be great to go to war with the best possible leadership?
And Jim and John have how many Super Bowl appearances?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (01-19-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"Cowher's players/Barry Switzer" argument forthcoming in 5,4,3,2,1...
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,758 Times in 4,294 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I don't think I agree. They are aggressive, and Baltimore's Harbaugh is whiney. I think people were saying good things about Rex Ryan at one point too.

I'd wait a few years. I believe Baltimore has the oldest roster in the NFL, and SF is loaded with high draft picks from years of poor seasons.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,758 Times in 4,294 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I don't see it as they've built nothing teams into contenders. 49ers are loaded with talent. They've both done a good job, but to call them elite coaches is a bit early, hence the "how many SB's have they won" statement.

They both seem to be doing a very good job though.
Atlanta Dan (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,236 Posts
My Mood: Fine

injuries, injuries, injuries - Tomlin is a fantastic coach in that he won't accept that as an excuse, even though the Steelers have been the most decimated team two seasons in a row . . .

When Ben had a career seasons in 07 and they won the division, followed up by a SB victory the following year, Tomlin was considered one of the top 2-3 coaches in the league. He solidified that by an "off" 9-7 season followed by another SB appearance in spite of his QB missing 4 games to start the season.

Don't let the AFC/NFC champ game appearances fool you - a broken clock is right twice a day - they SHOULD win with their talent - don't make them into some gods because of 2 crumby conference appearances

Just remember how desired Bill Cowher is, then look back at his resume - full of almosts but not quites and a really bad 3 year stretch where he forget himself

3 coaches since 1969. The guy has a ring and another appearance in 6 seasons. Let's hold off - I have a feeling we'll be seeing this team get back to some core ideas next season.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.
John Harbaugh has had the same core talent for five years and not won a conference championship yet - if he is so superior to Tomlin he would have been to the Super Bowl once by now

As posted above, Rex Ryan took his teams to the conference championships his first 2 seasons as HC like Jim Harbaugh - want to walk me through how Rex also is a better coach than Tomlin

But we all know when the Steelers make the Super Bowl it is because of the players and when they fail to make the Super Bowl it is because of the coaches
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-15-2013), harrison'samonster (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't see it as they've built nothing teams into contenders. 49ers are loaded with talent. They've both done a good job, but to call them elite coaches is a bit early, hence the "how many SB's have they won" statement.

They both seem to be doing a very good job though.
Agreed - I am not saying they are not good coaches
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,855 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Is this a thread about whether the Harbaughs are good coaches or about them being better than Tomlin? Because one of those thoughts is garbage.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote