Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Harbaugh Jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.
No doubt, especially Jim. The Niners didn't even have an identity when he took over last year, and he was a few player errors away from going to the SB. They likely will this year. Tomlin's first 2 years were pretty damn impressive too. We made the playoffs the first year (and somehow lost to the Jaguars) and won the SB in his 2nd. As you mentioned though Vet, Tomlin signed on with a team that won the SB just a year before.There's no doubt in my mind that if we were disciplined and played with the heart that Jim has seemingly instilled in the Niners, that we would be playing Sunday.

The test for Jim will be time. They've pieced together a damn good team and are definitely on the right track. Yet we seemed to be on the right track too in Tomlin's first two years. Now we've either missed the playoffs or been beat in the WC round 3 out of the last 4 years. Let's hope they both lose, although I don't see the Niners losing another game this year.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,136 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.

John Harbaugh took over a team in 2007 that went 13-3 as the AFC's second seeded team in 2006. Baltimore, like Pittsburgh, wasn't always nutritioned on the offensive side of the ball like they were defensively, and the Ravens defense he inherited were at the PEAK of their dominance, paving the way to their success to this day.

Did Tomlin REALLY inherit a good team? The Steelers had a QB coming off of a near death experience having the worst season of his career. Guys like Alan Faneca and Joey Porter were VERY tough decisions for a new head coach taking over an organization that only saw 2 come before him. I just think it's silly. Tomlin took over a franchise in '06 that had tons of question marks and some CORE veteran leadership ready for departure. I don't wanna hear it. Tomlin has done a great job and isn't recognized for it because of some recent struggles.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Come on guys, just because we're Steeler fans doesn't mean that we need to wear black and gold blinders. Tomlin's an OK coach, but he's just not operating at that level. He's just not.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
Terminator (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,233 Times in 4,482 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Come on guys, just because we're Steeler fans doesn't mean that we need to wear black and gold blinders. Tomlin's an OK coach, but he's just not operating at that level. He's just not.
just curious, but how much of the Ravens and 49ers have you seen over the past few years?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,136 Times in 856 Posts

You know, you may be right, but sometimes as Steelers fans, some may not know how fucking GOOD we actually have it and how a little bump in the road will have some fans talking incredible nonsense. Steelers fans are one of the most spoiled bunch's on the planet and sometimes, when things don't go perfectly, our intelligence is overshadowed by being spoiled rotten. Sometimes it makes me sick.
stb_steeler (01-15-2013), teegre (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts

screw the harbaughs.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Whatever.

Advantage: Tomlin
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
just curious, but how much of the Ravens and 49ers have you seen over the past few years?
This is only Jim Harbaugh's second year and they have both been pretty damn good. I've watched them quite a bit since he's been there. As for the Ravens, I'm not entirely impressed with John Harbaugh or the Ravens. John has yet to make it all the way although he's had a lot of opportunities and the Ravens had a better team upon his arrival.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,233 Times in 4,482 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I'll admit that I don't watch much of the 49ers, but their draft picks since 05 have been spot on, as they should be drafting around 10th or higher for several years. Davis, Willis, Gore, and Crabtree. Admittedly, Alex Smith was a miss. They are and have been loaded with talent. I'll give you Harbaugh has done more with them than Singletary, but like I've said before it's still way to early to say he's a top tier coach.

As for the Ravens, well there might not be too much to be jealous of after this weekend. One thing about them you can't say about us, Ray Lewis gets them fired up for each game.

Edit: That wasn't a diss on Singeltary, I like him and loved the fire he brought.

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 01-15-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: dumbness
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I found a nice black and gold ostrich for my signature. Because the standard is the standard, and if you close your eyes and can't see the standard, well that must count as the standard, because we're Steeler fans, right?
Attached Images
File Type: gif ostrich.gif (7.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by TheVet; 01-15-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Darnit can't get that black and gold bird into my sig.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote