Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,529
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,915
Thanked 19,010 Times in 8,022 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Yes, because throwing two INTs in the Super Bowl is extremely comparable to raping some little boys in a shower.
Tongue in cheek... because... OBVIOUSLY... throwing two INTs is far worse.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #22
TheVet
Assistant Coach
 
TheVet's Avatar
 
Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,225
Member Number: 24040
Thanks: 412
Thanked 490 Times in 284 Posts
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I can't believe that some folks actually mentioned O'Donnell in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
It's pretty hard to argue he is the 3rd best QB in Steelers history, and before 2004 it was pretty hard to argue he was the 2nd best.
Agreed 100% - but only because you just said the exact opposite of what you meant. Hmmm, maybe this is all a misunderstanding, and we can just chalk it up to a bit of fuzzy thinking?

Because obviously, there's a long, long list of Pittsbugh QBs better than O'Donnell...
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
VaDave
Team President
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 2,363
Gender: Male
Member Number: 479
Thanks: 804
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

Like Bobby Layne for instance......
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Alright Bradshaw played with 8 HOFers (and not to mention a HOF Coach):

Joe Greene
Mel Blount
Jack Ham
Franco Harris
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Mike Webster

Ben Roethlisberger has played with probably two:

Hines Ward
Troy Polamalu

(I refuse to count Bettis since Ben only played two seasons with him)

You mentioned the playoff efficiency stats but not the career marks. In that category, it is a monstrous difference.

Completion Percentage
Ben: 63.1%
Bradshaw: 51.9%

QB Rating
Ben: 92.7
Bradshaw: 70.9

Interception Percentage
Ben: 2.9%
Bradshaw: 5.4%
Who cares about regular season stats? I was told those aren't important. Your entire argument is that Ben puts up better regular season stats than Bradshaw. Who cares? Is Peyton Manning better than Joe Montana?

Would any of the Steelers you mentioned be in the HOF if Bradshaw hadn't won 4 superbowls? I don't think so. Roethlisberger has had a consistently better defense than Bradshaw. Swann got into the HOF because of great postseason performances- he caught more than 50 passes in his career once.

Let's look at Bradshaw's superbowl ratings (where you say he only had 1 good game) 108, 122, 119, 102.... clutch!

I already pointed out that you cannot compare stats from the 70s to stats now. Stats are greatly inflated now.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
zcoop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
Posts: 1,492
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20513
Thanks: 668
Thanked 725 Times in 426 Posts
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Who cares about regular season stats? I was told those aren't important. Your entire argument is that Ben puts up better regular season stats than Bradshaw. Who cares? Is Peyton Manning better than Joe Montana?

Would any of the Steelers you mentioned be in the HOF if Bradshaw hadn't won 4 superbowls? I don't think so. Roethlisberger has had a consistently better defense than Bradshaw. Swann got into the HOF because of great postseason performances- he caught more than 50 passes in his career once.

Let's look at Bradshaw's superbowl ratings (where you say he only had 1 good game) 108, 122, 119, 102.... clutch!

I already pointed out that you cannot compare stats from the 70s to stats now. Stats are greatly inflated now.
Exactly, Defense was a bigger part of the game back then. Offense rules the day now with bigger, quicker and stronger players. Comparing the two are akin to apples and oranges.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Greatest Steelers by Position

I think the biggest travesty is the two Pittsburgh born players who SHOULD have been Steelers quarterbacks- Johnny Unitas who was cut from the Steelers and never played a game for them, and Marino who should have been drafted. How many superbowls would the Steelers have won if their quarterbacks had been Unitas>Bradshaw>Marino>Roethlisberger?
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts