Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713
Default Re: Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Those are grown man answers made my a grown ass man. Good for him. That was one of the best answers to questions I have heard in YEARS. Priority number 1 is Keenan Lewis on that list. Ike has one more year in him. Steelers are gonna need to get a CB in the first or second round this year. OR, take a flyer on the Honey Badger. If he can avoid the hippie lettuce, man, he would be a steal like Burfict was for Cincy this year.
Ike is actually a guy I forgot to comment on.

By next season, I expect any combination of Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu, Clark, Foote, & Taylor to be retired/gone. 3 of the guys on that list, as already mentioned, I expect to be gone during this offseason.

I do, truly believe, we could make a strong playoff push in the 2013 season, I believe Colbert has that type of determination in him. Recently I created a thread questioning the value of Colbert, I think what I said was valid but this is a Colbert we have not had the luxury of seeing in the past and it makes me change my opinion of him.

I also think that there is a much bigger chance than we have realized that Khan becomes the GM of the Jets.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.

This.
People think we can continue "re-structuring, re-structuring, re-structuring....".
We can't.
Now look where we're at.

I'm glad Colbert stepped up with some ultra-strong words. The entire team & coaching staff needs a big, GIANT boot to the ass.
I believe - and i think you'll almost surely see this - that the franchise needs a pretty good 'on-the-field' makeover.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,059 Times in 8,047 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I'm sure he's not happy with Woodley, Troy or Brown. Everyone keeps saying that Mendy andWallace and yes there both had disappointments but there also making less then the other guys. I'm sure Colbert can'tbe happy with Brown or WWoodley seeing there stats and how much there making
I had not even thought about AB... and/or Woodley.

AB will get a finger waved in his face.

Woodley... man... could you imagine if they cut him??? I know that it is not going to happen (cost too much)... but, that would send a huge message... and would eventually save a ton of money (although, the cap hit this year would be huge).

I honestly think that if he gets back into shape, he can be dominant once again; I'm not giving up on him... yet. But, it would nto surprise me if they sent a strooooong message, by using him as an example in some way.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
wwhickok
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

b) there are conflicting reports about his cap hit. Some say that cutting him would reduce his cap number from $6.5 million to jut $1.5 million (a savings of $5 million). BUT, I have also heard the opposite: cutting him would only save $1.5 million, because he would still cost $5 million against the cap. If it's the prior, then he mihgt indeed be cut (although I don't like it); if it is the latter, then why not just keep him around (it would not save the Steelers that much to cut him).

This is an article from Steelerdepot.com

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...thin-10-weeks/

I assume, but cannot guarantee its accuracy, but if it is accurate, there is a strong case for cutting James Harrison.
teegre (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
wwhickok
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I had not even thought about AB... and/or Woodley.

AB will get a finger waved in his face.

Woodley... man... could you imagine if they cut him??? I know that it is not going to happen (cost too much)... but, that would send a huge message... and would eventually save a ton of money (although, the cap hit this year would be huge).

I honestly think that if he gets back into shape, he can be dominant once again; I'm not giving up on him... yet. But, it would nto surprise me if they sent a strooooong message, by using him as an example in some way.
There is a part of me that is actually truly scared they WILL cut or trade Woodley regardless of the cap hit..though the smarter half of me knows it is highly unlikely.

As far as AB, he is actually the reason I think they'll resign Wallace. AB got his contract after a strong season and then his production fell like a rock. Wallace struggled this season but you could also argue that there were times when he wasn't being targeted. The issue is, when he was targeted he failed to bring in the ball several times; he had several game changing drops. But I think they may look at it as "perhaps a new contract will motivate him to improve". But having said that, it'll be a contract that is at least 95% in favor of the Steelers aka he doesn't perform they can afford to cut him.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Colbert is the strongest link the Steeler hierarchy, hopefully, he will succeed is doing what he always does make the team renew and stay strong or stronger
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,558 Times in 818 Posts
My Mood: Busy

Echoing many who have responded, the words we needed to hear have been heard.
I also sense he's pissed off especially when he talks about "getting mesmerized by 12-4."
I'd like to hear the head coach speak out as strongly (maybe he has and I've missed it) but he loves his veterans.
Change is in the air and we need it. Just "executing better" is not enough.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Steelers will not cut Woodley. Lamarr knows whats up. He has his first bad year as a Steeler. He just needs to workout hard in the offseason and get into better shape and I fully expect him to be a double digit sack man again.

Harrison and Troy restructure for one more year. Troy might have two years left, but I think 2013 will be the last for Harrison if he restructures this off season.

I would like for the Steelers to go off the cuff a little this off-season. If they do go with the youth movement, they can free up a lot of money. If they do that, maybe sign a really good free agent this year or make an out of ordinary trade.

My dream starting lineup next year:

QB- Big Ben
RB- Ed Lacy
FB- Will Johnson
WR- Larry Fitzgerald(Draft Day trade) Pipe Dream, but we did it with Bettis....
WR- Antonio Brown
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- David DeCastro
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- Doug Legursky
RT- Mike Adams

Defense

ROLB- James Harrison
LOLB- Lamarr Woodley
WLB- Lawrence Timmons
MLB- Sean Spence
RDE- Ziggy Hood
NT- Steve McClendon
LDE- Cameron Heyward
RCB- Keenan Lewis
LCB- Ike Taylor (With a lot of playing time for Honey Badger)
SS- Ryan Clark
FS- Troy Polamalu

Special Teams:

Keep Squeezem
Honey Badger becomes our special team threat on punts and kick offs until Ike retires or leaves after 2013.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
wwhickok
Starter

2 thinks OX, don't think there is any chance in hell we trade for/land Larry Fitzgerald, but if you're going to dream you might as well dream big.

Secondly.. I want NO PART of the Tyrann
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
2 thinks OX, don't think there is any chance in hell we trade for/land Larry Fitzgerald, but if you're going to dream you might as well dream big.

Secondly.. I want NO PART of the Tyrann
True on Fitz, but man, if you can get Tyrann for a late rounder, its worth it, you have too. There is too much talent there not to give a shot and if he pans out, he is a perennial all pro type and we NEED that guy in this league of passing. Im just sayin...
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote