Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,384 Times in 8,509 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
True on Fitz, but man, if you can get Tyrann for a late rounder, its worth it, you have too. There is too much talent there not to give a shot and if he pans out, he is a perennial all pro type and we NEED that guy in this league of passing. Im just sayin...
LARRY FITZGERALD
I do not think that a trade for Fitzgerald is all that crazy of an idea. Fitzgerald is no spring chicken, and depending on who the coach is in Arizona, they might be rebuilding... and Fitzgerlad only has two or three great years left in the tank.

Arizona's defense is stout, but they have NO quarterback, and their O-line is horrid. Again, Fitzgerald might only have two or three great seasosn left him him. Does he really want to wait around while a young QB learns the ropes? If there was an Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft, then maybe... but, they will likely have to go for a second-tier type of QB (who they would have to develop). Thus, if Arizona could trade Fitzgerald to someone for a R1 pick, I think that they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Oh man... I could see the Taperiots trading for him. Gulp!!!

Maybe Woodley for Fitzgerald. Ha, ha, ha... wait a second... hmmm.

THE HONEY BADGER
At the end of last season, I had three player son my wish list: Tavon Austin, Matt Elam, and Tyrann Mathieu.

Weed took Tyrann off of my board.

No need for a WR in the first round took Tavon off of my board.

Now, all that i can hope for is Elam.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #42
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,384 Times in 8,509 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
They only have 2 years left on their contracts. We're at the end, and there's really nowhere left to push the money to. Both are due like 12 mil next season, and 13ish the next. Both performed on about a 4.5 mil level this season. If we ask them to push back even 5 mil a piece, then we would have 36 million hanging on the 2014 season between 2 guys.

They would be retarded to agree to that, because it raises their chances of getting screwed next year to 100%. That "Restructured" money would be money they let walk, and there's no way that goes down, because we would cut them for sure. That leaves them to other get cut this offseason and sign a cheaper contract, get cut and go elsewhere, or else we keep them on and get bent over the table on salaries that won't see a return on the field.
Troy is only 32... so, technically, they could extend him for three years (like they did Farrior)... have him play one or two years, and then dump him (like they did with Farrior).

Keisel... well... he'll just have to take less money. He's 35, and has a young buck behind him (who produces when he plays).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #43
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,194 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Colbert: Steelers roster could undergo big changes

January 16, 2013 2:42 pm
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert today promised changes to their roster after an 8-8 season, changes that could include saying goodbye to some veterans and even their high-profile free agents.

"When you're 12-4 and a playoff team, sometimes you get mesmerized by your success and you get a little reluctant to change," Colbert said, referring to the Steelers' record in both 2010 and 2011.

"If we don't change a roster that produced 8-8, we'd be silly to expect a better result."

Colbert said the Steelers are still evaluating players and planning how to get into salary cap compliance by the March 12 deadline. The cap is expected to be similar to last year, around $121 million per team. The Steelers are projected to be at least $10 million over that right now.

They will get under it, Colbert said, through contract terminations, extensions and reconstructions.

He sounded as if none of their impending free agents will get contract offers before they can hit the open market March 12.

"We won't know what an individual player will cost until he gets out there," Colbert said. "Going into this thing, we're not married to anybody."

The Steelers have a gaggle of starters who will become unrestricted free agents including Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Max Starks, Rashard Mendenhall, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote and Ramon Foster.

As for using the franchise tag to prevent any of them from signing elsewhere, Colbert called it "very doubtful."

"I don't think we have too many franchise players," he added.

Colbert met with a handful of writers who regularly cover the Steelers today. Among some of his other points:

On the running game, which produced its fewest yards in nine seasons: "Where we were in the running game last year was indicative of the talent at the position ... That group of players didn't produce the way we anticipated they would."

The decision to cut Chris Rainey will not be reversed, no matter what the legal outcome of his battery arrest in Florida: "The decision has been made."

On Steelers executive Omar Khan being a finalist to become the New York Jets general manager: "He's earned it. We think he's ready."

Colbert noted that the Steelers, according to one study, had fewer injuries that some playoff teams had. "We were not the only team that had injuries. Teams that had more had better results." He said the amount of injuries "really wasn't unique to us."

In other news, the Steelers did sign one of their own free agents. Cornerback Justin King of Monroeville, Gateway High School and Penn State, signed a contract for his veteran minimum.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...hanges-670606/
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
pete74 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #44
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,051 Times in 928 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Is good to hear someone tell it like it is. I guess the standard is NOT the standard anymore
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,194 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Let's hope not, fer, because the standard was definitely substandard.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
OX1947 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #46
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Argh... The Chief was such a meddlesome owner. Argh... what does an owner ever know. Argh!!!
Man, it was the 80s, almost every adult was trying snow candy. To bad.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #47
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

Only thing I am worried about is Omar Khan leaving.

Good to see Colbert gives no fucks.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #48
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Steelers Canada, you saved the best quote for last.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #49
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Alot of bold statements by Colbert. I am anxious to watch this play out. Gonna be interesting....
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #50
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,096 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Im just really hoping that we bounce back next year and make a serious run for number 7, but all this talk about roster change is kinda making me worry just a little bit.

Ben is going to be 31 next season and if we want more Super Bowls we need to get our shit together fast no time to waste.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote