Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: The prospect of just keeping mendenhall

Beanie Wells and a guy like De'Angello Williams from Carolina stick out to me for potential backs to go after in FA. I hope we do it, too big of a hole to fill. Instant band-aid at RB needed.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

We have Dwyer and Redman, both of who have performed better than Mendy whenever they've had the opportunity. For our 3rd back, we need a player with desire, a solid work ethic, a good attitude, some respect for the team, and some respect for himself.

Of course, it should go without saying that we'd like a decisive back who hits the holes hard, fights for extra yards, and hangs onto the ball.

Why is Mendenhall even in the conversation at this point? Yeah, it was a blown #1 pick, which always hurts, but at some point it's time to move on.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #33
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Does anyone think we have a legit full time back in our stable right now?
The coaching staff seemed to favor Dwyer last year, but I honestly didn't see much from him.

Redman may be the best workhorse option we have, but he's never really been through a 300 carry season before so even that's unknown. Our RV situation is pretty weak right now, that's for sure
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #34
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
We have Dwyer and Redman, both of who have performed better than Mendy whenever they've had the opportunity.
Really? They had one or two better games this year, but it was understood that Mendy returned in 12 months from an injury that calls for an 18 month recovery.

Either way, it seems we are willing to give Ben a pass for being hurt, but not Mendenhall.

Over the course of their careers:

*Mendenhall
864 carries, 3549 yards (avg 4.1 ypc), avg 62.3 yards per game

*Dwyer
181 carries, 774 yards (avg 4.3 ypc), avg 36.9 yards per game

*Redman
272 carries, 1136 yards (avg 4.2 ypc), avg 24.2 yards per game

How have Redman and Dwyuer performed better than Mendenhall? They had slightly better yards per carry, but they played in limited roles. The average yards per game tells all. A franchise RB needs to be counted on to provide more than 35 yards per game.

They have yet to manage a 1000-yard season, which Mendy has done for us in a pass-happy scheme with no Oline to speak of, SEVERAL TIMES.

Also, would be nice if they displayed the ability to carry the rock for 300+ times per season. Neither Dwyer nor Redman manged to string together more than 2 games at a time this year.

Quote:
For our 3rd back, we need a player with desire, a solid work ethic, a good attitude, some respect for the team, and some respect for himself.
THIS would be a great role for Redman. Dwyer can be the backup/powerback in someone else's offense.

Quote:
Why is Mendenhall even in the conversation at this point? Yeah, it was a blown #1 pick, which always hurts, but at some point it's time to move on.
Becauise he is the only one who has shown the franchise RB pedigree we need.

How was he a blown #1 pick? Multiple 1000-yard seasons in bonehead Arians' scheme behind patchwork offensive lines? How did Redman and Dwyer do behind a much improved Oline this year, in comparison to Mendenhall? Have either of these other two bozos shown they can stay healthy for an entire season while getting only a portion of the carries? Do either Redman or Dwyer have any open-field ability (well, Redman does), or ability to cut a long one around the edges?

I really don't know what some of you are looking at.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
Blackout (01-17-2013), lloydwoodson (01-16-2013), steeltheone (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Really? They had one or two better games this year, but it was understood that Mendy returned in 12 months from an injury that calls for an 18 month recovery.

Either way, it seems we are willing to give Ben a pass for being hurt, but not Mendenhall.

Over the course of their careers:

*Mendenhall
864 carries, 3549 yards (avg 4.1 ypc), avg 62.3 yards per game

*Dwyer
181 carries, 774 yards (avg 4.3 ypc), avg 36.9 yards per game

*Redman
272 carries, 1136 yards (avg 4.2 ypc), avg 24.2 yards per game

How have Redman and Dwyuer performed better than Mendenhall? They had slightly better yards per carry, but they played in limited roles. The average yards per game tells all. A franchise RB needs to be counted on to provide more than 35 yards per game.

They have yet to manage a 1000-yard season, which Mendy has done for us in a pass-happy scheme with no Oline to speak of, SEVERAL TIMES.

Also, would be nice if they displayed the ability to carry the rock for 300+ times per season. Neither Dwyer nor Redman manged to string together more than 2 games at a time this year.

THIS would be a great role for Redman. Dwyer can be the backup/powerback in someone else's offense.

Becauise he is the only one who has shown the franchise RB pedigree we need.

How was he a blown #1 pick? Multiple 1000-yard seasons in bonehead Arians' scheme behind patchwork offensive lines? How did Redman and Dwyer do behind a much improved Oline this year, in comparison to Mendenhall? Have either of these other two bozos shown they can stay healthy for an entire season while getting only a portion of the carries? Do either Redman or Dwyer have any open-field ability (well, Redman does), or ability to cut a long one around the edges?

I really don't know what some of you are looking at.
Totally agree. I have no idea what you guys are seeing or watching. Redman and dwyer would be 2nd or 3rd stringers on any other team but here in Pitttsburgh u guys see these guys as the next Franco!! Please!! When comparing the 3; there is no comparison. If we can bring Mendy back at a good price and Tomlin stops his pissing war with him; they can fill other needs on the roster as there are MANY!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

So what kind of contract would you guys offer Mendenhall? I'd be real surprised if any team offers him a big multi-year contract with guaranteed money. I'm just guessing here, but I think he prefers to get a fresh start some place else. What I would offer the guy is somewhere around $2M for a 1-year contract. Somebody is going to have to persuade me he deserves more than that.

Redman and Dwyer are Restricted Free Agents. My guess is that they both will be tendered at $1.33M and that's what will we pay them for a 1-year contract unless some other team offers them more and the Steelers don't match it. Batch has several more years to go on a rookie contract.

So, it looks to me that we likely will have Redman, Dwyer, and Batch next season unless they are cut. Who knows about Mendy.

I don't see any free agents out there who are all that much better than what we already have.

Now, as far as the draft goes, you got a bunch of 3rd rounders who mostly look like each other. Eddie Lacy, how much of what you saw was him and how much was that Alabama line? Now if you believe teegre, the Steelers should take Marcus Lattimore. I like that idea, especially if he's still there in the 4th round. Maybe the third.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #37
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Mendenhall is a known commodity. He will rush for 1000 yards if he is healthy. He is capable to carry the load on offense. He is a complete back that can be used in any situation. When Mendenhall is at his best he is a top 10 NFL running back and that is more than enough for an offense that centers around the pass.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Blackout (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #38
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,122 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I'm in favor of a FA back if and only if we draft Marcus Lattimore in a later round, with the intention of starting him later in the 2013 season or beyond and using said FA as a stopgap. Otherwise draft a RB early.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,562 Times in 10,368 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I'm in favor of a FA back if and only if we draft Marcus Lattimore in a later round, with the intention of starting him later in the 2013 season or beyond and using said FA as a stopgap. Otherwise draft a RB early.
I like the idea of drafting Lattimore... and then sitting him.

With the new "IR" designee, Lattimore can rehab until mid-October... which would be nearly a year.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #40
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,122 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I like the idea of drafting Lattimore... and then sitting him.

With the new "IR" designee, Lattimore can rehab until mid-October... which would be nearly a year.
Lattimore obviously has WAY higher upside than ANY other back in this draft, the only problem is he may not be ready at all this upcoming season and I doubt we'd draft two RBs in this defensive-packed draft...hence the potential need for a DeAngelo Williams or Steven Jackson for next season.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote