Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #131
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I know that he's going to go 25-ish. And since the Steelers aren't drafting a WR that early (even if they traded down), I hope that he goes to the Seahawks (to pair with Russell Wilson).

Alas, my biggest fear is that he ends up with the Ravens or the Taperiots.

He's going to make some team very, very happy.
I love Austin too, but I don't see the Steelers taking another small WR early.

Now, on to some other things you said. You want Elam and have mentioned the possibility of moving down in the draft. Maybe both can happen.

I'll be surprised if any safeties are taken before we pick at #17. And I'm not too sure about who the first safety selected will be. It could be Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) or Eric Reid (LSU).

Let me give you a possible scenario for moving down. Chiefs and Jags have the first two picks. I believe both desperately want a QB, but will be reluctant to use those picks on guys like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or a few others. No can't miss QB. So the Steelers trade #17 for the Chiefs or Jags 2nd round pick plus another pick say their 3rd round pick.

With such a scenario the Steelers could end up with a top safety, although it might be one of the other guys and not Elam and one of the top tight ends and a high pick in the 3rd round for perhaps a linebacker or running back.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #132
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,658 Times in 10,405 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
I love Austin too, but I don't see the Steelers taking another small WR early.

Now, on to some other things you said. You want Elam and have mentioned the possibility of moving down in the draft. Maybe both can happen.

I'll be surprised if any safeties are taken before we pick at #17. And I'm not too sure about who the first safety selected will be. It could be Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) or Eric Reid (LSU).

Let me give you a possible scenario for moving down. Chiefs and Jags have the first two picks. I believe both desperately want a QB, but will be reluctant to use those picks on guys like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or a few others. No can't miss QB. So the Steelers trade #17 for the Chiefs or Jags 2nd round pick plus another pick say their 3rd round pick.

With such a scenario the Steelers could end up with a top safety, although it might be one of the other guys and not Elam and one of the top tight ends and a high pick in the 3rd round for perhaps a linebacker or running back.
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. Here it is:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ight=seventeen

Now... mind you, that was after the Clowney hit. Currently, I am thinking more realistically (less dreamy about getting Clowney). Here is the new & improved version:

With so many teams in the top 10 needing QBs... BUT, with so few quality QBs (not top-ten worthy).... AND with Dallas sitting at the perfect spot/wanting to draft one of these mediocre QBs (which they might do)...

Trade back from 17, with one of those teams in the top 10.

Those QB-needy teams would want to trade up from the top of R2, in order to get in front of Dallas; Pittsburgh could use multiple picks; and, this is a deep draft.

17 traded to JAX for:
the 34th pick
the 64th pick
& next year's R1 pick.

R2... 34 (from Jax) ... Tavon Austin!!!
R2... 47
R3... 64 (from Jax)
R3... 79
R4

The only problem: I would not get Elam or Vaccaro (or Mingo or Jordan). But, with such a deep draft (especially at safety & linebacker) and Colbert wanting to cut dead weight... maybe tradign back is the best option. Then, with one fo those extra picks, maybe Austin slips to the Steelers.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #133
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,892 Times in 6,115 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Mel Kiper's 2013 NFL mock draft sends DE Ezekiel Ansah to Steelers

By seton hall and steelers on Jan 16
USA TODAY Sports

Mel Kiper recently published his first mock draft of the year and he had BYU's massive, athletic Ezekiel Ansah to the Steelers at 17. Ansah has had a great career at BYU but their are concerns over whether or not he is too large to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. At 270 pounds and with more room to add onto his frame, the concerns are valid.

el Kiper is ESPN's draft guru and while he takes a lot of bashing from the public, he is a very good draft analyst and he puts a lot of thought and research into his mock drafts and opinions. He is not afraid to take chances, as seen by him not mocking any quarterbacks in the first round and also having Menelik Watson going in the first round.

While I like what Kiper produces, I do not agree with him mocking Ansah to the Steelers. Ansah is already 270 pounds and with a little weight lifting he will easily grow to 280 pounds. Ansah is in my opinion strictly a 4-3 defensive end despite his great athleticism and talent.

However, I am not totally against the pick because the Steelers have been using a lot of four down linemen sets and Ansah could be used as a situational pass rusher when they play in the nickel.

Overall, I would give the pick a solid B grade that could go either way. I am sure Lebau would love to have an athlete like Ansah in his front seven and he would probably be able to come in and make an impact right away.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-ezekiel-ansah
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #134
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,141 Times in 543 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Many here may have seen I have been a strong defender of Manti Te'o all season. Even after his abysmal national championship, I wanted the Steelers to draft him more than ever. After the news of tonight, I don't know what to think anymore. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it, I'm not even going to begin to try to explain, it's too weird.

All I can say is that this video PERFECTLY sums up my current feelings towards the Irish linebacker. Nothing could say it better:

[youtube]37SrQdIqKiU[/youtube]
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #135
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mel Kiper's 2013 NFL mock draft sends DE Ezekiel Ansah to Steelers

By seton hall and steelers on Jan 16
USA TODAY Sports

Mel Kiper recently published his first mock draft of the year and he had BYU's massive, athletic Ezekiel Ansah to the Steelers at 17. Ansah has had a great career at BYU but their are concerns over whether or not he is too large to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. At 270 pounds and with more room to add onto his frame, the concerns are valid.

el Kiper is ESPN's draft guru and while he takes a lot of bashing from the public, he is a very good draft analyst and he puts a lot of thought and research into his mock drafts and opinions. He is not afraid to take chances, as seen by him not mocking any quarterbacks in the first round and also having Menelik Watson going in the first round.

While I like what Kiper produces, I do not agree with him mocking Ansah to the Steelers. Ansah is already 270 pounds and with a little weight lifting he will easily grow to 280 pounds. Ansah is in my opinion strictly a 4-3 defensive end despite his great athleticism and talent.

However, I am not totally against the pick because the Steelers have been using a lot of four down linemen sets and Ansah could be used as a situational pass rusher when they play in the nickel.

Overall, I would give the pick a solid B grade that could go either way. I am sure Lebau would love to have an athlete like Ansah in his front seven and he would probably be able to come in and make an impact right away.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-ezekiel-ansah
Mel takes risks with his mocks... which I like. He does not follow what everyone else says; he makes up his won mind.

That said, there was a study done, and like all of the other experts, he was barely above 25% for his picks. Most of them get around 7-9 picks in R1 correct (25%).

Mel's biggest "hit" was Pac-Man Jones at #6 overall. no one else had Pac-Man in the top 20... but, Mel mocked him at #6. Then, low & behold, Pac-Man indeed went #6.

Oh, and Mel always liked BB... which makes me like Mel.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #136
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Many here may have seen I have been a strong defender of Manti Te'o all season. Even after his abysmal national championship, I wanted the Steelers to draft him more than ever. After the news of tonight, I don't know what to think anymore. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it, I'm not even going to begin to try to explain, it's too weird.

All I can say is that this video PERFECTLY sums up my current feelings towards the Irish linebacker. Nothing could say it better:

[youtube]37SrQdIqKiU[/youtube]
Give it time and the picture will be clearer. Right now there are still lots of questions. Thanks to the draft, NFL teams will try their best to figure all those questions out.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #137
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I think Te'o is the real victim here. This story will be really embarassing for him.

Te'o probably considered some "girl" he met online his girlfriend. He probably got had and now this story is all over CNN, Sports Illustrated it is EVERYWHERE. Hilariously awkward really. Prisoners and soldiers historically have married their pen pals so it is hardly setting a precedent. The truth is stranger than fiction. Mail-order bride anyone?

I hope this story combined with Te'o's poor bowl performance drops him down to at least the second round. Mingo 1st Te'o 2nd would be amazing.

Is it possible Tomlin was high on Te'o and posed as Te'o's "girlfriend" in order to set him up for embarassment and hurt his draft stock so the Steelers could steal him in the second round? I think that is the most plausible explanation.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #138
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,892 Times in 6,115 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Is it possible Tomlin was high on Te'o and posed as Te'o's "girlfriend" in order to set him up for embarassment and hurt his draft stock so the Steelers could steal him in the second round? I think that is the most plausible explanation.
sounds like something "Dick" would do...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #139
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I think Te'o is the real victim here. This story will be really embarassing for him.

Te'o probably considered some "girl" he met online his girlfriend. He probably got had and now this story is all over CNN, Sports Illustrated it is EVERYWHERE. Hilariously awkward really. Prisoners and soldiers historically have married their pen pals so it is hardly setting a precedent. The truth is stranger than fiction. Mail-order bride anyone?

I hope this story combined with Te'o's poor bowl performance drops him down to at least the second round. Mingo 1st Te'o 2nd would be amazing.

No way he gets past the Ravens. They were rumored to already be trying to see how much it would cost to move up to 15 or 16, in order to snag Te'o (right before the Steelers could). If he drops to them, he's a Raven.

And, his "high character" screams Belichick... and, with so many picks, the Taperiots could afford to take a risk on Te'o.

Whichever drafts first (Taperiots) would take him in a heartbeat.

Regardless, I still see him going to either the Chargers or the Saints.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #140
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
sounds like something "Dick" would do...
Ha! Lebeau and Tomlin have a new reality TV show coming up called "Burfict'd" where they see how far they can cause a player's draft stock to plummet through hilarious pranks!

Switch a urine sample to produce a negative... Burfict'd!

Tip on the police to a player having a party... Burfict'd!

Hire a hooker to seduce a prospect then post pics... Burfict'd!
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote