Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #71
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256
Default Re: Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Gotta disagree here.

I don't really give much of a flying fuck what Wallace says-- his actions speak much louder than his words.

Holding out for a bigger paycheck you have not earned, and holding the team hostage over it, is not showing us he wants to be here still.

Seeking a top-5 WR contract when you cannot even break 1000 yards receiving is arrogant and not showing us he wants to be here long-term.

Alligator-arming catchable passes and short-arming marginal ones is not showing us he wants to be here.

An inability to run any route other than a post or streak shows us he is not a long term solution.

He cried for more deep passing plays, which our coaching staff caved in to in the second half of the season. The result? We got to watch him put 40 yard passes on the ground instead of 15 yard ones. Or worse, yet, he watched as the defenders intercepted it.

Then, when it becomes clear we are out of the postseason, he decides he does not have to play anymore and sits the game out.

Mike Wallace would make nearly a perfect Raider. He is a trojan horse and a blackhole for big plays.

Haley's offense hinges around getting rid of the ball quicker and a lot of high-opercentage plays. Possession-type receivers are more important to that scheme than deep threats with shoddy hands and bad attitudes. Right now, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery are more vital to this offense than Wallace.
nice job. you saved me alot of typing.
lets not forget how he admitted to losing concentration(because he wasnt getting the ball when in fact he got more looks this year than ever)
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sloppyjoe For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #72
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,604 Times in 4,108 Posts

Oh, how quickly we forget when Ward held out and 'held the team hostage'. Over what, you're asking? Money. But, as usual, we need a fall guy to take the brunt of our frustration and why shouldn't it be the guy who held out?

He dropped balls. He lost concentration. At times, he looked out of sorts and not Wallace-like. So, we went 8-8 and on this site people decide to blame: a) Ben b) Tomlin c) Wallace d) Brown ... let me save some time, who didn't we blame?

Ward, this fanbases' poster-boy, pulled the exact same shit that Wallace did this offseason but we choose to forget it. We complain about double-standards by the front office but have them here, too. No, let's pin this season on Wallace because it was his lack of focus and concentration that caused this season to go off the rails. It wasn't the fact that we had a new OC, or the fact that our franchise quarterback went down - it was Mike Wallace and his holdout.

Scapegoat?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

i dont seem to remember anyone saying it was all wallaces fault for our 8-8 season.
i dont remember anyone saying we didnt care that ward held out.
what we do know is that this 8-8 season was partly due to wallace.
we also know that due to his actions this year(as stated above a few posts) that he was one of the biggest disappointments.
we also know that the team is strapped for cash and needs to free up some cash by cutting and restructuring players.
SO, seeing that we have to cut some players that actually tried this year to get under the cap, it would only m ake sense to cut the ones that didnt help us on the field or with their cap hit.
you on the other hand want to pay wallace 10+ million.
why would you want to pay a guy that much money when he sh!t on the team, fans and owner this year?
you can pretend that wallace is innocent and blame everyone else but the logical fans see what the problem is.............besides, if wallace wanted to stay here, like you claim he does, why didnt he take the contract that was offerd to him?
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #74
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,839 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Oh, how quickly we forget when Ward held out and 'held the team hostage'. Over what, you're asking? Money. But, as usual, we need a fall guy to take the brunt of our frustration and why shouldn't it be the guy who held out?

He dropped balls. He lost concentration. At times, he looked out of sorts and not Wallace-like. So, we went 8-8 and on this site people decide to blame: a) Ben b) Tomlin c) Wallace d) Brown ... let me save some time, who didn't we blame?

Ward, this fanbases' poster-boy, pulled the exact same shit that Wallace did this offseason but we choose to forget it. We complain about double-standards by the front office but have them here, too. No, let's pin this season on Wallace because it was his lack of focus and concentration that caused this season to go off the rails. It wasn't the fact that we had a new OC, or the fact that our franchise quarterback went down - it was Mike Wallace and his holdout.

Scapegoat?
1 big difference - more production than 1 Mike Wallace leading up to the holdout and he followed it up with a SB MVP.

I don't remember Ward asking for more money than he was worth.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #75
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,604 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
i dont seem to remember anyone saying it was all wallaces fault for our 8-8 season.
i dont remember anyone saying we didnt care that ward held out.
what we do know is that this 8-8 season was partly due to wallace.
we also know that due to his actions this year(as stated above a few posts) that he was one of the biggest disappointments.
we also know that the team is strapped for cash and needs to free up some cash by cutting and restructuring players.
SO, seeing that we have to cut some players that actually tried this year to get under the cap, it would only m ake sense to cut the ones that didnt help us on the field or with their cap hit.
you on the other hand want to pay wallace 10+ million.
why would you want to pay a guy that much money when he sh!t on the team, fans and owner this year?
you can pretend that wallace is innocent and blame everyone else but the logical fans see what the problem is.............besides, if wallace wanted to stay here, like you claim he does, why didnt he take the contract that was offerd to him?
He shit on the owner, fans and the team this year? I'd love for you to reveal your inside source, because apparently, you know more about the Mike Wallace contract situation than anyone else in the media. Yep, we know a contract was turned down by either Bus Cook or Mike Wallace. The contract was lucrative, but we don't know who turned it down. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I very much doubt a young kid like Wallace would have turned down a 50 million dollar deal if someone wasn't whispering in his ear.

The logical fans see what the problem is? You mean the same logical fans that think cutting Woodley is a great idea, despite the cap implications and the fact that it's the dumbest fucking thing we could do? Or, the logical fans that freak out and overreact when we have a mediocre season that was marred by injuries? Oh, the same logical fans that are calling for Tomlin's head. Yep, these logical fans.

I'm not claiming anything. He's said it multiple times.

Like here:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...in-pittsburgh/

Or here:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ts-a-business/

I deal in facts and quotes. You're dealing in hypothetical situations and making assumptions based on the bias you already have against Wallace. To me, that doesn't scream 'logical fan' as you put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
1 big difference - more production than 1 Mike Wallace leading up to the holdout and he followed it up with a SB MVP.

I don't remember Ward asking for more money than he was worth.
I'd like for you to provide the link in which Mike Wallace was asking for more than he was worth. No, I don't want a link describing what 'inside sources' say, either. I want a quote from Wallace asking for a specific dollar amount. It'd be even better if you could find one where he asked for Larry Fitzgerald money.

Wallace is worth a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal and he's not going to get a lot more elsewhere, despite the speculation and assumptions are on this site. I guarantee if we match an offer that another team gives him, he'll come back and be sturdy at the WR position for another 5 years.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #76
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,497 Times in 4,479 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Big changes afoot for Steelers?

January 16th, 2013
By Dejan Kovacevic

Just met with Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ GM, at the team headquarters on the South Side, along with a handful of other reporters.

Our Alan Robinson has full news coverage, so I’ll just share a few thoughts here …

>> Maybe you had to be in that office, but I didn’t get the sense Colbert was set on status quo heading into this offseason. Far from it, actually.

He’s not the type to divulge details, to put it mildly, but the way he answered a few of the various questions — repeated references to the “61 players we have” not being good enough, quick references to “terminations,” being open to using money from terminations to even (gasp) look at free agency — let’s just say he sounded like he was setting the stage for significant change.

Could be wrong. Just sharing.

>> I asked Colbert about LaMarr Woodley, and he pointed, as others have on the record, to Woodley’s “results” rather than his conditioning.

“I believe the effort was there,” Colbert said.

I also asked if Woodley should or could get lighter, and Colbert responded that he’s “always been a big guy.” So that didn’t get much further.

Colbert also told me, “I’ll bet if you ask LaMarr, he’d be the first to tell you he was disappointed with how his season went.”

Uh, tried that. Didn’t exactly work.

>> Goodbye, Rashard Mendenhall.

Forever.

Let there be no doubt on that one. He burned every bridge there was to burn by not showing up for work that one Sunday.

>> It won’t be goodbye for the rest of the running backs, but I’d rent rather than buy if I’m Jonathan Dwyer and/or Isaac Redman. Colbert tried as hard as he could to steer specific questions into generalities, but he left no doubt who was mostly to blame for the 26th-ranked rushing offense.

“It was indicative of the talent at the position,” Colbert said.

Ouch.

>> I’ve got a slightly different feeling for the disciplinary handlings of Chris Rainey and Alameda Ta’amu than when I walked into that room, but not by much. If Rainey’s act was significant enough to “break the trust,” as Colbert put it, so was Ta’amu’s.

There were repeated references, actually, to “trust” as it relates to Rainey. I’m only guessing here, but if being honest or forthcoming is the tiebreaker here, sorry, but that’s not enough to excuse Ta’amu’s terribly reckless actions.

>> An actual quarterback as a draft pick?

Wow, can’t even picture it. But it’s probably well past time. Ben Roethlisberger will be 31 in two months. Charlie Batch will be 91. Can’t just have a couple of guys holding a clipboard anymore.

>> My thanks to Colbert and the Steelers for the session. It was as candid and forthcoming as is reasonable under the circumstances of running a team, and it was as honest as I’ve come to expect from this team.

I’m tempted to go through my tape and count up how many times Colbert spat out the term “8-8″ in this 34-minute session. Had to be close to 50. No kidding.

These guys get sickened by losing.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovac...-for-steelers/
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #77
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,612 Times in 843 Posts
My Mood: Fine

"These guys get sickened by losing."

GOOD......that's just the attitude we need to turn things around.
Let's hope the players feel it as much as Colbert does.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #78
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,103 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Colbert podcast on WDVE.

http://www.dve.com/player/?station=W...l&mid=22791380
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote