Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #51
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 532
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 148 Times in 98 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I don't think the Steelers overpaid AB, he got what the market called for. However, contrary to some on this board, they got a real bargain for Wallace thus far. HIs rookie contract was worth 1.74m and last years tender of 2.74m totals less than 4.5m. Given the stats that he's put up over the last 4 years, there is no doubt in logical minds that the Steelers got the most out of the relationship. Wallace earned every penny he got and more.
i agree year 1-3 for sure. But, that doesnt give him a pass for his performance in 2012. Dropped passes, half a$$ed run routes, minimal efforts on passes he had to go all out for. He played poorly and its a what have you done for me lately league.

i can live with drops, cant live with poor efforts.

now, i totally get it, steelers DO NOT show loyalty to any players , if in the eyes of the organization a player is done or asking too much they are gone. so, i understand Wallace making business decisions.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #52
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach
 
Millers the sh!t's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 1,140
Gender: Male
Member Number: 22201
Thanks: 142
Thanked 362 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Some of you must think this is the fucking plantation. Pollute Brown's mind? We're talking about grown azz men. Miss me with that bullshit.
Yea, those slave driving rooneys are gonna pay that slave antonio brown $39 million dollars more in five years than this ****** will ever make in his lifetime. Brown plays the game with passion. Great players usually play the game with passion and would play no matter the pay scale. When big money comes into the factor it can change a person. Like Wallace for example. What the difference in making 80 million in a career or being a piece of shit greedy douchebag and hold out to try and make 100 million in a career. That's a person who plays for greed and money. Plays for the wrong reason and is usually a bad person to have in the locker room. Keep your plantation comments to yourself cause your boy Mikey doesn't appreciate the situation he's in and totally changed his ways for the bad when money came into the picture. Your boy Mikes is one greedy slave and is the type of person that will have a $100 million in his lifetime and still be filing for bankruptcy before he's 50. Cause that's also the white plantation owners fault. Get real Django, don't ever compare overpaid black men with more rights and privileges than most Americans than under paid whipped black men that would be beaten if they knew how to read, you scumbag.
__________________
Mike tomlin equals one dimensional offense, and lack of fundamentals, which equals consistent losses to inferior teams, lack of discipline and injuries.
Millers the sh!t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millers the sh!t For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-17-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #53
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,556
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 714
Thanked 434 Times in 263 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

What the hell is that guy talking about "plantation "???!! Get the f outta here. But be fair to Brown here too. He isn't being asked to do what he did a couple of years ago either. He was a great return man then. How many times did he return kicks this year? And when he did he was explosive, even when he fumbled in Dallas he was having another good return. IMO that played into him being a pro bowler and getting that contract. Now, it makes sense that you don't pay a guy that kind of money and ask him to return kicks when you just drafted Rainey. I think Brown is a stud. We had a bad year all around. Next years his true test anyways, no more Wallace means double coverage. Then we'll know what we have.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #54
SteelCity4Life
Starter
 
SteelCity4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nelsonville, OH
Posts: 605
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23950
Thanks: 836
Thanked 144 Times in 90 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Ok then post were wallace or his agent said he wanted Fitz money? As for Browns targets, if your open and the QB has faith in you then you get targets. Maybe he needs to run better routs, I don'tknow but if you think Brown had a good year then iIwould hate to see a bbad year. I'mnot saying wallace is great or anything , I think they both had a bad year but wallace definatly outperformed Brown
I don't think basically TOSSING THE BALL UP for the CLEVELAND BROWNS is outperforming.

Wallace had those few good touchdowns, but how much did it honestly matter?

Brown is in NO WAY perfect, but his attitude is 100 % BETTER! Yeah, so a little too much show-boating. I agree. But the man has the smile and the heart of a player who wants to succeed, along with his team.

Ben got hurt, Brown got hurt, our offense caved in and all out lost it for us. But I'm GLAD Brown is staying. He's made some GREAT catches and IDC about stats. Some of his receptions have been pretty!

Who has the better future? A guy who wants Fitz money, yet can't run routes, and only has speed? Or a guy who has potential, the heart of a winner, and the attitude to go the distance? Brown can only get better.

If we can't afford Wallace, let him walk. I'd like a bomb threat option too but as someone else stated, we won 2 superbowls without that. Brown is the better overall player and I think time will prove that.

Oh, and HEEEEATTTTHHHH
__________________
"The Standard is The Standard"

Win, loss, or tie; Steeler faithful till I die!
SteelCity4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
zcoop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
Posts: 1,433
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20513
Thanks: 624
Thanked 665 Times in 390 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Yea, those slave driving rooneys are gonna pay that slave antonio brown $39 million dollars more in five years than this ****** will ever make in his lifetime. Brown plays the game with passion. Great players usually play the game with passion and would play no matter the pay scale. When big money comes into the factor it can change a person. Like Wallace for example. What the difference in making 80 million in a career or being a piece of shit greedy douchebag and hold out to try and make 100 million in a career. That's a person who plays for greed and money. Plays for the wrong reason and is usually a bad person to have in the locker room. Keep your plantation comments to yourself cause your boy Mikey doesn't appreciate the situation he's in and totally changed his ways for the bad when money came into the picture. Your boy Mikes is one greedy slave and is the type of person that will have a $100 million in his lifetime and still be filing for bankruptcy before he's 50. Cause that's also the white plantation owners fault. Get real Django, don't ever compare overpaid black men with more rights and privileges than most Americans than under paid whipped black men that would be beaten if they knew how to read, you scumbag.
I see that my point went over your little head. Let me splain it to you like you're 4. AB is his own man and very capable of making his own decisions. Wallace doesn't have any influence over him. You insinuated that AB is this dummy incapable of intelligent thought. Wallace is his own man and also capable of making decisions he deems necessary which maximizes his bottom line. You went off on a real wild fucking tangent. Go back and read my post, I don't see where you could have gotten this far off track.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #56
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,628
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 193
Thanked 1,293 Times in 644 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

The signing of Brown was a good decision. He is the best WR on the team and likely to return to form next season...BUT he will need help as there wont be a great WR opposite him with speed like Wallace.

Draft, Free Agency or something. Cant really run with just Sanders on the other side.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #57
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 8
Thanked 107 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
You better check your facts before you disagree with one of my posts because I always check the facts.
Seems you forgot one little fact.

What the word "extension" means in regards to a contract. Don't worry I will always check the real facts before I disagree with one of your posts.

Brown was an extension which means it's really for six years at 42.5 mil.
Around 7.08 mil per year and not very front loaded. More money is in the back end where if Brown would somehow become a bust he would never see that money.

Marshall is making 9.46 mil per year and I'm sure it was front loaded a ton with a lot of guaranteed money as well and big cap hits over 9 mil his remaining three seasons.

So just so you have the facts since you always check the facts

Brown 7.08 mil per season
Marshall 9.46 mil per season

Here are the exaxt facts about Brown's contract

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...act-breakdown/
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #58
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach
 
ZoneBlitzer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,867
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16775
Thanks: 242
Thanked 463 Times in 245 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Why is no one talking about this point made in the article?

Quote:
. Also, Brown looked to be the better and more productive receiver than Wallace in the second half of the 2011 season. He had 51 of his 69 catches and 846 of his 1,108 receiving yards in the final 10 games of the season. Wallace, meantime, had only 19 catches for 271 yards in the final six games.

But there was a reason for that.

When it became apparent to the coaches that Hines Ward could no longer be an effective receiver, the Steelers moved Brown to the split end, or X, position in their offense because he did not know the plays or assignments at Ward’s position – flanker. Split end is more of a big-play position with deeper routes and opportunities for more catches. The Steelers moved Wallace to flanker (or Z receiver), where he had more inside routes and blocking assignments.

Not surprisingly, Brown’s production increased and Wallace’s decreased. This year, the Steelers moved Wallace back to the split-end position, and he finished as their most targeted receiver. He finished with 64 catches and tied for the team lead with eight TDs.

Brown finished with 66 catches and only five TDs, but he was never really the same late in the season after missing three games with a high-ankle sprain.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #59
SteelerEmpire
Head Coach
 
SteelerEmpire's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,919
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14355
Thanks: 619
Thanked 961 Times in 454 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Why is no one talking about this point made in the article?
Quote:
When it became apparent to the coaches that Hines Ward could no longer be an effective receiver, the Steelers moved Brown to the split end, or X, position in their offense because he did not know the plays or assignments at Ward’s position – flanker. Split end is more of a big-play position with deeper routes and opportunities for more catches. The Steelers moved Wallace to flanker (or Z receiver), where he had more inside routes and blocking assignments.
Yep. Those are the facts. There's a REASON Mike Wallace was made the #1 receiver over Brown by the Steelers brass. I haven't looked it up buy my guess is, when you measure Wallace's production at split-end vs Browns production, is Wallace out-produces Brown at that position.
__________________

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter
 
BlaZeQuietly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 936
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18219
Thanks: 73
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Guys, Guys look:
Wallace: Targeted 119 times, 836 yards, 8 TD, 55.7 yards per games
Brown Targeted 105 times 787 yards 5 TD, 60.5 yards per game

Wallace was targeted 14 more times, had 49 more total yards 3 more touch downs and averages 5 LESS yards than Brown per game. Brown was hurt for the last half of the seasons. And I can't find a stat on this but I can guarantee Wallace dropped way more passes and didn't even try for some. Neither of them were that impressive this year. Wallace just looked like he wasn't into it.
By The Way
Miller: Targeted 101 times, 816 yards, 8 TD, 54.4 yrds per game ZERO Fumbles. I hope He's healthy by next season.

Brown, Wallace and Saunders had 2 fumbles a piece. Whose our more reliable target? MILLER!
__________________
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts