Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #301
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,426 Times in 4,456 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

Is Haley Still In The Running For The Cardinals Job Now That McCoy Is Off The Market?

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

On Monday, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported that a source had told him that Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley told Arizona Cardinals team president Michael Bidwell what he wanted and what he needed to become their new head coach. And that Haley set the asking price very high as he really doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh unless it is really worth his while.

Now, roughly 24 hours later, Dulac is reporting that Haley's chances of getting the Cardinals job might be improving after the San Diego Chargers hired Mike McCoy, who was the offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos, as their new head coach on Tuesday. Several, including myself, thought McCoy was the odds on favorite to get the Arizona job.

With McCoy, an offensive minded coach, now officially off the market, that leaves Haley, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, and Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton as the remaining candidates that have reportedly already interviewed for the Cardinals job. Have more interviewed that we just don't know about? We don't know.

According to Pro Football Talk, rumors are making the rounds that Steve Keim, the Cardinals newly named General Manager, will be making roughly $750,000 following his promotion, which would reportedly make him the lowest-paid General Manager in the league.

If indeed Haley is shooting for the moon salary wise, as Dulac suggest that he is, then you would have to wonder if Haley really is still a candidate for the job. Would the Cardinals really pay their head coach more than their General Manager?

With the Senior Bowl practices getting underway next week down in Mobile, AL, you would think that the Cardinals would want to have their new head coach in place by this weekend. Bidwell said after he fired Ken Whisenhunt that the search for his successor would be done with due diligence. Maybe there was too much diligence used as it appears McCoy was stolen away from them and it now appears as if they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

How will this all play out? I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...ff-the-market/
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #302
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Cards eye Seattle's Darrell Bevell
[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8847966/arizona-cardinals-add-seattle-seahawks-

PHOENIX -- The Arizona Cardinals are going to take a look at Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, reportedly setting up an interview with the man who provided the game plan that led to the Seahawks' 58-0 victory over Arizona.

The other known candidates to replace the fired Ken Whisenhunt are Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley and Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

With the exception of Horton, the candidates are rooted in offense and that's the Cardinals' area of greatest need. Arizona had the worst offense in the NFL last season.

Bevell, who also is in the running for the Chicago Bears' job, played a key role in the development of rookie quarterback Russell Wilson. The tandem of Bevell and Wilson, who both played college ball at Wisconsin, helped the Seahawks' offense become more potent as the season progressed.

Seattle put together an impressive rally before losing 30-28 at Atlanta in the NFC semifinals last weekend.

Bevell, 43, has local roots. He grew up in Scottsdale, and attended Chaparral High. He spent a redshirt freshman season at Northern Arizona before leaving for a two-year Mormon mission. When Bevell returned, he enrolled at Wisconsin and quarterbacked the Badgers to a Rose Bowl victory over UCLA in 1994.

He joined the professional coaching ranks in 2000 as an offensive assistant in Green Bay and was promoted to quarterbacks coach of the Packers three years later. Bevell served as the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings from 2006 to 2010. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll brought him in as offensive coordinator in 2011.

The Cardinals' list of potential coaches lost a name when the San Diego Chargers hired Mike McCoy.

The Cardinals obviously had high interest in McCoy, interviewing him in Denver over the Broncos' bye weekend in the first round of the playoffs. They wanted a second interview, but were thwarted when the Chargers closed the deal.

It was the second time a would-be candidate was taken away. Cardinals president Michael Bidwill had reached out to fired Philadelphia coach Andy Reid but never even got a chance to interview him because the Kansas City Chiefs moved in quickly to secure an agreement.

Whisenhunt, interviewed for several NFL head coaching jobs since his dismissal, was fired by Arizona after six seasons, tied for the longest tenure for a coach in the Cardinals' long, mostly losing history. He got the team to the Super Bowl in his second season and won a second straight NFC West title the following year, but quarterback Kurt Warner retired and the team's offense never recovered.

The Cardinals used four quarterbacks this season. Only Kevin Kolb had much success, helping the team to a 4-0 start before going down in week six with what proved to be a season-ending rib injury. Kolb threw for eight touchdowns with three interceptions. The other three QBs -- John Skelton, rookie Ryan Lindley, and late-season pickup Brian Hoyer combined for three TDs and 18 picks.

Arizona went six games without a touchdown pass, losing 11 of its last 12 to finish 5-11.

Arizona also fired general manager Rod Graves, promoting Steve Keim, the vice president for player personnel, to fill the vacancy.

Horton, who also interviewed for the jobs in Buffalo and Cleveland before those teams went elsewhere for a coach, has a year left on his contract as defensive coordinator and presumably would return to that job if he doesn't get the head coaching position.

The Cardinals have confirmed interviews with Horton and Gruden but not with Haley, although Steelers president Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the interview did take place.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #303
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

Looks like we are gonna be stuck with this turd for another season.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #304
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Looks like we are gonna be stuck with this turd for another season.
I'd rather have him than blowing up the offense and starting all over again with someone unproven - there isn't exactly anyone else available aside from promoting within, and then there's no guarantee those people are going to be kept

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #305
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Cardinals hire Arians

Let's see how awesome he is now.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #306
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,122 Times in 8,077 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Cardinals hire Arians

Let's see how awesome he is now.
Let the "BB to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald & the 7th overall pick" rumors commence.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #307
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Let the "BB to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald & the 7th overall pick" rumors commence.
haha - "Screw the 7th overall pick - I want the almighty Kolb in there with Fitzgerald."

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #308
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
haha - "Screw the 7th overall pick - I want the almighty Kolb in there with Fitzgerald."
Sure you jest..............
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #309
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I'll be sure to remember where I heard this first.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #310
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Sure you jest..............
we joke but, Ben and Steelers better find a way to meet in the middle on his "tweaking"

Look into my eyes
SF Haters