Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #61
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,376 Posts
Default Re: Steelers don't rule out drafting a QB in the 1st round

to the people saying draft cousins last year.

not one person was on here, saying that at the time.

if we would of taken cousins in round 3 you guys would of shyt

earliest we take one this year is maybe round 3 or 4 again.

clearly we have other needs first, rather than a back up qb.

maybe a wide out, or tight end,

a safety, Someone who can block, maybe someone who can rush the passer?

hopefully adams and decastro and pouncey stay healthy.

same with gilbert...

could have a good base if those 4 manage to stay healthy.

from there getting sean spence this year will help, it'll be like an extra rookie pick,

maybe grab jordan or safety in round 1.

its all comes down to being healthy, until that happens, we wont be going anywhere
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #62
tomlin_era
Water Boy

Member Number: 24726

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Is that why Bradys OL got destroyed in 2 SBs. Im not buying that arguement at all. I dont for a second believe that behind an unhealthy and inconsistent OL any of thise guys would be more successful than Ben.
What, did he use a different OL to get to those two super bowls?
tomlin_era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #63
tomlin_era
Water Boy

Member Number: 24726

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
as much as I've been Ben bashing - I think he is capable of making quick decisions and releasing quickly. He has shown that he understands going through progressions and making some smart decisions and efficiently moving the chains.

Their performance against the Giants was undeniably Super Bowl quality type play - as it was the year before in a big win against the Patriots. Ben can become a QB that kills with efficiency just as much as extending the play. His willingness to do so? It isn't there right now - and that is where he must get better - this will be the difference in taking the next step in reading defenses and checking into more appropriate audibles. One of his weapons outside of Heath must become a leader and take more pressure off Ben for this to work though - he can't do it all on his own - and especially when health is also of concern - we have to keep Heath active in the passing game - this means not having to stay in and play as an extension of the O-line.

We need someone consistently productive - not take the league by storm great, but consistently moves the ball forward enough for teams to respect that it could keep happening to them. We need decisiveness at this position.

At the WR spot, we need a group of guys with sure hands above all else. Speed comes after you catch the ball. Worry about your job and moving the chains. It isn't called "RECEIVER" for nothing. If we valued speed over possessing, it would simply be called Wide Speedster. Decisiveness, Possession, and commitment to getting back to the basics can fix this. Some of this is in the attitudes of the complacent and those undeserving of wearing a Steelers uniform. I think some of those attitudes will be gone and we can get a fresh, nothing-to-lose start.
You just described being consistent. This is Ben's whole problem. This is why he will never be "elite"
tomlin_era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #64
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlin_era View Post
You just described being consistent. This is Ben's whole problem. This is why he will never be "elite"
and as I reread you quoting me, I realize we might not have Heath for a while which makes things even dicier and more critical that Ben step up his game

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #65
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
As posted before the Steelers missed the boat last year when passing on Cousins a couple of times,ultimately the Steelers orginization will do what is best for the team(as they have done year after year) and Colbert said it best, it's silly to think the team will get better without changes.This might not be the best year to draft a QB but look at the way the Vikings fell apart when Joe Webb had to step in for Christian Ponder and the Steelers are currently in the same situation. First off any backup worth a sh*% currently in the NFL will demand big money(something the Steelers cannot afford).Secondly Batch most likley will retire and Leftwich needs to be coaching High School football not skipping passes into Recievers at Heinz field. So that leaves the draft,if the Steelers can make a trade(to move up)and pick up a desirable QB what's wrong with that? The fact is Ben will not be around 10-12 years due to injury and the Steelers orginization sees that so they must look foward and face the fact that the Steelers can survive with a mediocre backup LB but not a mediocre backup QB
Vikes are getting exactly what they deserve. They had a couple of prospects a few years ago but they choose to gambled on Farve. They've been drafting QBs but not developing them. Webb was a sixth roung pick so I didn't expect much from him anyway.

I think we can find a servicable young QB in round two or three this year.
zcoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #66
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

If they do draft a QB, I'd like to see Tomlin left out out of the decision making process.

He has poor discernment for the position. ie: Dennis "Twiggy" Dixon
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #67
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
as much as I've been Ben bashing - I think he is capable of making quick decisions and releasing quickly. He has shown that he understands going through progressions and making some smart decisions and efficiently moving the chains.

Their performance against the Giants was undeniably Super Bowl quality type play - as it was the year before in a big win against the Patriots. Ben can become a QB that kills with efficiency just as much as extending the play. His willingness to do so? It isn't there right now - and that is where he must get better - this will be the difference in taking the next step in reading defenses and checking into more appropriate audibles. One of his weapons outside of Heath must become a leader and take more pressure off Ben for this to work though - he can't do it all on his own - and especially when health is also of concern - we have to keep Heath active in the passing game - this means not having to stay in and play as an extension of the O-line.

We need someone consistently productive - not take the league by storm great, but consistently moves the ball forward enough for teams to respect that it could keep happening to them. We need decisiveness at this position.

At the WR spot, we need a group of guys with sure hands above all else. Speed comes after you catch the ball. Worry about your job and moving the chains. It isn't called "RECEIVER" for nothing. If we valued speed over possessing, it would simply be called Wide Speedster. Decisiveness, Possession, and commitment to getting back to the basics can fix this. Some of this is in the attitudes of the complacent and those undeserving of wearing a Steelers uniform. I think some of those attitudes will be gone and we can get a fresh, nothing-to-lose start.
Well stated, dude.