Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Team to investigate rash of injuries

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-624c12207ae0

Yes indeed, injuries are a part of football, but for the Steelers of late, injuries have been a significant part. Too significant. As is often said, you can look it up.

The 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers finished with an 8-8 record and no spot in the playoffs. Those are facts, and so are these:

Troy Polamalu missed nine games. Rashard Mendenhall missed seven. Marcus Gilbert missed 11. Mike Adams missed six. Ben Roethlisberger missed three, as did Antonio Brown. James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley were on the field together for only nine games. David Johnson went on the injured reserve list before the start of the regular season, and No. 1 pick David DeCastro didn’t come off that list until the regular season was 13 games old.

If 2012 had been an aberration, if the Steelers simply had experienced one season that was ruined by a never-ending series of injuries … but just a bit of superficial research points more toward a trend.

In 2011, Aaron Smith missed 12 games and landed on injured reserve. Daniel Sepulveda missed nine and ended up there as well. Emmanuel Sanders missed five games, Jason Worilds missed four, Casey Hampton and Jerricho Cotchery each missed three, Maurkice Pouncey and Brett Keisel each missed two.

“I do think it’s something that comes in cycles,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II about injuries. “I remember sitting there a few years ago and looking at the Colts, who had like 15 guys on injured reserve, and I was thinking, ‘I’m glad that’s not us.’

“It does happen sort of in cycles, and hopefully we’re getting through this cycle. But having said that I don’t think we can just sit here and believe we’ll come to the end of the cycle. We have to look at everything we’re doing, and we will look at everything we’re doing, from the training and conditioning side of things, from a practice side of things and see if there are things we can do to get better.”

Getting better in that respect would do nothing but help the offensive line, a unit that has been in a state of almost constant upheaval for three straight seasons. Starting with the 2010 NFL Draft, the Steelers have spent two first-round picks and two second-round picks in an effort to fortify their offensive line, but the accompanying injuries seem to have left them in a one-step-forward-two-steps-back mode over the same duration.

It is no coincidence that many of the teams making the playoffs and then advancing through them enjoy stability along their offensive lines. But in 2010, injuries forced the Steelers to employ six different five-man starting combinations, with three of those coming in the first three weeks of the regular season. That Steelers team won the eighth AFC Championship in franchise history, but there were instances during Super Bowl XLV where the play of the offensive line was a liability in what turned into a loss to the Green Bay Packers.

In 2011, the Steelers started nine different five-man offensive line combinations, and in 2012, it was seven different combinations. Late last summer as the Steelers were preparing for another training camp on the campus of Saint Vincent College, there was some optimism that their offensive line would include (from left to right) Adams, newly-converted Willie Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Gilbert. Not once were they ever all healthy enough to make that a reality.

“I think what we have to look at as a league is where we are with some of the rules regarding conditioning and how often players can be in the building and what they can do here,” said Rooney about how the Collective Bargaining Agreement now governs some of those issues. “I would like to see us have some of that loosened up a little bit, but that’s not something completely in our control. The other thing we have to do is make our players aware that under the rules that we’re all operating under now, it’s more on them to make sure they’re performing the offseason conditioning, because we only have access to them for nine weeks. It is incumbent on the individual players to be aware of that, and I think they are.”

One of the issues to be examined by the Steelers this offseason is whether the injuries being sustained by many of their key players are more in the bad luck category or more about a lapse in conditioning, or in many cases, a misdirected emphasis on how players prepare themselves for an NFL season. Are some players too big – and not necessarily fat – for their frames?

“The trainers will tell you that conditioning-related injuries are muscle pulls and strains and those kinds of things,” said Rooney. “Concussions or breaking bones, conditioning is not going to help that stuff. We do have to look at the kinds of things where conditioning could make a difference.

“Conditioning is something that’s always evolving, people are always coming up with new ideas on how to train, and so we’ll look at all of that.”
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Team to investigate rash of injuries

There was a post earlier this year asking members to grade Haley. He mostly got very high grades.

I said then, it's to early to grade him high, I say now, it's to early to grade him low. He needs more time before we can lable him a failure.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,716 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

fire the training staff, yo! :P
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,300 Posts

dont forget spence missed the whole season as well..

something doesnt add up with all these injuries

young, old, everyone getting hurt
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,887 Times in 1,880 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
fire the training staff, yo! :P
that would be very thuggish

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,716 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
that would be very thuggish
the training staff needs some THUGS, you feel me dog?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Investigation? How can you investigate why so many of a teams players get injured? It's common sense.
Poor conditioning
Poor blocking
and in Bens case, holding on to the ball for too long. Simple as that, there investigation over, pay me.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy

I think getting these injury problems resolved are as important - if not more so than having a great draft! We still have more than enough talent to compete - but before we go into rebuilding mode - lets keep who we have healthy and win a couple more rings. The number and frequency of injuries are out line with most teams - I think without any research - need to somehow investigate and make sure our trainers and staff are doing the best job possible to get people ready for the rigors of contact (sorry Goodell, it is still a contact game) football.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
I think getting these injury problems resolved are as important - if not more so than having a great draft! We still have more than enough talent to compete - but before we go into rebuilding mode - lets keep who we have healthy and win a couple more rings. The number and frequency of injuries are out line with most teams - I think without any research - need to somehow investigate and make sure our trainers and staff are doing the best job possible to get people ready for the rigors of contact (sorry Goodell, it is still a contact game) football.
Hipchest and I had a good debate about this a while back.

What I took from that-- is that this injury problem is multi-facetted.

For starters, the obvious. The Steelers need to look at the injury statistics, and re-evaluate their offseason training program, because obviously, the current one-- is NOT cutting it.

Secondly, some of the onus for poreparation is on the players themselves. These guys are professionals and from what I hear, Tomlin's coachng style is mroe depdnent on the ndividual players to police themselves and be professionals about their job. Woodley neds to get his ass on an excercise bike or something, among some of the others. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

And lastly-- Hipchest is spot on abut this I think-- the shortened OTAs do NOT benefit the more physical teams like the Steelers or Ravens (who were also decimated by injuries). This is the age of Roger Goodell....he is changing the game faster than some teams can keep up wit the new rules changes. We need to look at offseason training as something that has to evolve with the new reuirements of the game.

If there is less time for conditioning before preseason starts under the new CBA, then the Steelers need to adapt to that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (01-18-2013), truesteelerfan (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Investigation? How can you investigate why so many of a teams players get injured? It's common sense.
Poor conditioning
Poor blocking
and in Bens case, holding on to the ball for too long. Simple as that, there investigation over, pay me.
I just cant believe the Steelers dont see they have poor conditioning coaches.
When i talk to other fans of different teams they all say the same thing, why do the Steelers seem to be injured alot, and then the question of conditioning comes up!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote