Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #61
BlaZeQuietly
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/...burgh-steelers

We were lucky to be 8-8 with these stats! Look at our running backs, wow. This was the worst steeler team in 10 years easy.
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #62
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Guys, Guys look:
Wallace: Targeted 119 times, 836 yards, 8 TD, 55.7 yards per games
Brown Targeted 105 times 787 yards 5 TD, 60.5 yards per game

Wallace was targeted 14 more times, had 49 more total yards 3 more touch downs and averages 5 LESS yards than Brown per game. Brown was hurt for the last half of the seasons. And I can't find a stat on this but I can guarantee Wallace dropped way more passes and didn't even try for some. Neither of them were that impressive this year. Wallace just looked like he wasn't into it.
By The Way
Miller: Targeted 101 times, 816 yards, 8 TD, 54.4 yrds per game ZERO Fumbles. I hope He's healthy by next season.

Brown, Wallace and Saunders had 2 fumbles a piece. Whose our more reliable target? MILLER!
Was this at the split-end position ? I agree with the assessment regarding Miller. Without him this team loses 2 or 3 more games last season.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #63
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/...burgh-steelers

We were lucky to be 8-8 with these stats! Look at our running backs, wow. This was the worst steeler team in 10 years easy.
and the defense STILL held opponents to less rushing than our team

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #64
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,797 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I don't think they overpaid Antonio Brown. I also think Mike Wallace has outplayed his contract. The difference between the two is obvious.

AB was named team mvp in 2011. Everyone on the team that was asked about AB stated he was the hardest worker on the team. He constantly worked on his game. His route running, his hands, his footwork, releasing at the line of scrimmage. He also is a great returner and open field runner.

Mike Wallace has not improved one bit over the last two seasons. He still doesn't run good routes. His hands are not good, and to be more specific, his hands in traffic are downright awful. He has an inability to elevate for the football and get his feet in bounds. He doesn't compete for balls that are not perfectly thrown and has some of the worst ball skills with the ball in the air that I have ever seen for a receiver that many think is a #1. The worst part is that you never hear other players, coaches, or media talk about how he is working his ass off perfecting his craft. Antonio Brown did that. He gave that effort. We have not seen this from Wallace.

That sounds like harsh criticism for a receiver that makes what Wallace makes a year. The problem is that he is asking for 10-12 million dollars a year. I think the Steelers moved him to the prominent receiver position to give him a chance to show them what he could do. I believe he has shown all of us what he did with that opportunity. Do I think he can improve? Yes. But if a man looking for a big contract can't work his ass off and give it everything he has, what makes you think he will work to get better after he gets his money?

Just sayin'...
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #65
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Seems you forgot one little fact.

What the word "extension" means in regards to a contract. Don't worry I will always check the real facts before I disagree with one of your posts.

Brown was an extension which means it's really for six years at 42.5 mil.
Around 7.08 mil per year and not very front loaded. More money is in the back end where if Brown would somehow become a bust he would never see that money.

Marshall is making 9.46 mil per year and I'm sure it was front loaded a ton with a lot of guaranteed money as well and big cap hits over 9 mil his remaining three seasons.

So just so you have the facts since you always check the facts

Brown 7.08 mil per season
Marshall 9.46 mil per season

Here are the exaxt facts about Brown's contract

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...act-breakdown/
Antonio Brown's contract is back loaded. Brown costs 9.95 million against the cap in 2016 - more than any year in Marshall's contract.

From here on out Brown costs 6.2, 7.7, 7.7, 9.95 and 8.7 against the cap.

Marshall costs 9.3 and 9.3. The last two years of those contracts look similar to me.

Keep in mind Marshall is a 4 time 100 receptions player in 7 years. When Marshall hits another 100 reception season it will be the most in NFL history. He would already be the NFL record holder for most 100 reception seasons if he hadn't played 2 seasons with whatever scrub the Dolphins could find to throw to him.

I think the contracts are more similar than their production on the field.

Is Brown a very good football player? Yes, he is very reminiscent of Santonio Holmes. However, there are many small and fast NFL wide receivers that can do what Brown does. Brown does not possess a unique skill set. A player like Marshall who is a huge target in the red zone or a Mike Wallace who blows the tops off of coverages is a unique player who should command more money because they do what no one else can. If you want to make money do one thing and do it better than anyone else.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Steeler7BR (01-19-2013)