Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Is Colbert Quietly on the 'Hot Seat'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
come on man
I am designing an algorithm-- it will determine the level of backlash received from fellow posters in comparison to the level of controversiality of the post.

The deeper into the bowels of the organization we level criticism, the more resistance is encountered from fellow members.

You should know, CANADA, that certain people in the Steelers' org are untouchable in the fans' eyes.

Teegre, did a very good job of listing out all the draft picks since 2008. But really, out of all the 4 or 5 guys per draft that "panned out"-- how many of them are domiant, game-changing players like we expect as fans of this team?

It took Timmons until this year to figure out what the hell he is supposed to be doing.

Woodley is turning into Lamar the Hutt.

Hood has been descent, but not awe-inspiring at all. Can't tell yet about Heyward.

We are about to let Mendenhall walk away over a petty personality conflict.

Sweed was garbage. Bruce Davis was garbage.

We have a number of starters that came from those drafts, and they got us to an 8-8 season. Pouncey, Wallace, and Brown are about the only guys that are still playing at a high level, or that did not fall off a cliff after one successful season.

KC is a far better GM than 99% of them out there-- but he is not perfect. His tone of late would strongly suggest the psychology behind what CANADA is suggesting.

I don't think his job is in danger this year-- but I am sure the Rooneys have made it clear they are not happy with what most of our recent drafts have produced on teh field.

Are you really happy with all of the personnel we have right now? The Ravens were also hit with the injury bug this year and lost 3 former DPOY over the coursse of the season at times (Reed, Lewis, and Suggs), but they are still in the playoffs and looking for their next title because their roster had better depth behind te estarters than the Steelers. The blame for that has to fall on KC and the personnel department, at least partially.

Last edited by Riddle_Of_Steel; 01-18-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,963 Times in 4,239 Posts

Thank you, Riddle, for understanding my post.

I'm not asking him to be fired or let go this offseason, and I'm not playing the blame game. I was recognizing that there has been some issues in this organization in regards to the draft, free agency, lucrative contracts, etc. and some of that has to fall on the shoulders of the GM. His own words were "we don't have very many franchise players on this roster" and we're 15 million over the cap? I'm sorry, but that's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Harrison having a cap hit over 10 million dollars is another serious problem. Not having depth at very many - if any - defensive positions on this roster is another serious problem and some of those, if not all, fall on the shoulders of Colbert.

Again, I'm not calling for his head or asking him to be fired this offseason. I'm asking for some level-headed thinking about the issues that are on this team and where they might be coming from instead of just blaming Tomlin and Ben.

Thank you Teegre for the logical response and you're right - we have drafted well in the later rounds. The problem is, we're not hitting with the first two - three on a consistent basis and that has to change. We've managed to draft special teams players with great consistency, but have failed to draft starters and that, again, falls on scouting but ultimately Colbert.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

Is this an Onion article posed as a thread post?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
It took Timmons until this year to figure out what the hell he is supposed to be doing.

Woodley is turning into Lamar the Hutt.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,963 Times in 4,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Is this an Onion article posed as a thread post?
Enlighten me, who do you pin the bad contracts, poor drafting and bad cap situation we're in right now on? I'd love to hear how Tomlin is to blame for any of this because it's already been posted multiple times in many other threads that Tomlin isn't in charge of drafting. He isn't in charge of contracts which resulted in this ridiculous cap situation we're in.

So I'll ask again, who do you pin it on?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Hinestly I think everyone is on the hotseat. And its not the typical "I'm going to fire you if" hot seat. Its the "no one is irreplaceable" hot seat. The owners expect a certain level of competition and success. When they dont get that or when they feel there is a legit threat of falling out of that line of success theyre going to put on the pressure and motivate people to gain more focus and more care in their decision making. If they respond with a losing season...theyll find themselves on the typical hotseat.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,899 Posts
My Mood: Fine

IMO, I agree with some the O player picks not panning out as we have looked for them to contribute much, much sooner than the D players we have drafted, and that's part of the Steelers system on defense - some of the young guys to step on defense have looked great - ie, Lewis and Allen. I'm "meh" on Hood but he isn't terrible. McClendon and Heyward need more trial by fire.

Our Rd1 RB from 08 is coach fodder and possibly gone or at best on his last chance for redemption (and you all know how I feel sorta bad because of what I think Arians did to his psyche). A Rd 2 WR (Sweed) was one of the biggest busts of the last 15 seasons. Rainey is gone. Wallace was a flash in the pan with his attitude. In many ways, we are retooling yet again at WR and RB and now we need someone at TE. Not looking good on an already frustrating offense. It pretty much will be like starting over again with Haley in a lot of ways. I am excited about the young O-linemen - bright spot and I Have hope

Hot seat? IMO - no. Same performance or lack of from younger guys next season, along with bad record or limping into playoffs and 1 and done? Yea - I think so.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

Must take issue with a couple of player evaluations previously posted.

"Marcus Gilbert has played well." Really? When and for how long?
"Kelvin Beachum was a seventh round steal." Really? A steal? Based on what?
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,899 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Must take issue with a couple of player evaluations previously posted.

"Marcus Gilbert has played well." Really? When and for how long?
"Kelvin Beachum was a seventh round steal." Really? A steal? Based on what?
IMO - for being a 7th rounder - he could have played worse - but, that doesn't make him a steal - it makes him a bit of a serviceable surprise and gives us depth where we might not have otherwise had

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

This thread seems to be a reaction the Colbert not closing the door orn the idea of drafting a QB early when it's clear most on the forum would like a SS and six LBs
casteeler is online now   Reply With Quote