Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts
Default Re: 3-4 to a 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
This thread has been coming up every year for the past 10 years on Steeler fan message boards. Believe it when I see it. Something tells me if LeBeau retires and Butler takes over......it still stays a 3-4.
every year ? this is probably the 10th thread started on this subject in the past year alone...
you'd think the defense was finishing in the bottom 10 every year instead of the top 10.
the problem is everybody thinks theres other teams playing great D every week. well who are those teams ? what 4-3 defense gives these guys such a chub that they feel the steelers need to emulate ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
every year ? this is probably the 10th thread started on this subject in the past year alone...
you'd think the defense was finishing in the bottom 10 every year instead of the top 10.
the problem is everybody thinks theres other teams playing great D every week. well who are those teams ? what 4-3 defense gives these guys such a chub that they feel the steelers need to emulate ?
Que the "we should be more like -fill in the blank- because they won the super bowl" threads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you, but the Giants run a 4-3 and they have a ridiculous front 7. The Pats and Bears run a 4-3 and they were creating turnovers with no problem and in fact, the Bears tied the NFL record with 8 defensive TDs. The Bengals run a 4-3 and they lead the league in sacks.

There is an argument to be made to switch to the 4-3, but we just don't have the personnel to do so, so at this time it's really a moot point. We'd have to draft a new interior defensive line with high picks when we could address WR, RB and S in the same rounds.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Dont fix what isnt broken. Some players may need replaced but not the scheme. Why change a defense that was top 5 in the league the last 6 years. In 4 of those years they were the #1 D in the league.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I'm not sure why you change the style of defense we play when we have a top 5 D every year. Oh, and #1 last year. Not saying anyone is pushing for it but I don't know why we would want to change.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,340 Times in 3,988 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
hey, you can never have enough 3-4/4-3 or Mike Wallace threads...
Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I'm not for switching to a 4-3

However

Neither am I for believing in our defensive rankings the past 2 years. When you don't get turnovers from pressure, sacks, INTs - you don't advance. Please - the Steelers don't give up yards, but they aren't wreaking havoc either. Let's be real about those rankings.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

There is nothing wrong with the 3-4 scheme. the issue is we have players who are underperforming in it. no pass rush from Woodley all year, Harrison non existant until week 13, the D line isnot able to do much and one ILB has speed.

when the OLB's are generating a pass rush it enables the ILB and Troy to blitz more effectively and it also means more turnovers.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the 3-4 scheme. the issue is we have players who are underperforming in it. no pass rush from Woodley all year, Harrison non existant until week 13, the D line isnot able to do much and one ILB has speed.

when the OLB's are generating a pass rush it enables the ILB and Troy to blitz more effectively and it also means more turnovers.
Did you close your eyes while you watch the games? In your statement almost all of the Steelers front 7 underperformed. But we were only the #1 defense in the country and the 5th best Run Defense. Harrison was very solid since the 2nd half of the season. He was one big reasons we looked so good as Ben was injured. And I don't know if you only consider pressure here by the D-Line or their whole game because they looked very straight in the Run game. The pressure in a 3-4 Defense should be normally created by OLBs. And of course in Lebeaus offense by the guys who're blitzing. So I don't your problem here at all.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I agree with you, but the Giants run a 4-3 and they have a ridiculous front 7. The Pats and Bears run a 4-3 and they were creating turnovers with no problem and in fact, the Bears tied the NFL record with 8 defensive TDs. The Bengals run a 4-3 and they lead the league in sacks.

There is an argument to be made to switch to the 4-3, but we just don't have the personnel to do so, so at this time it's really a moot point. We'd have to draft a new interior defensive line with high picks when we could address WR, RB and S in the same rounds.
here's the "ridiculous " G-men front 7...
demarco murray - 131 yds
leshawn mccoy - 123 yds
alfred morris - 120 yds
isaac redman - 147 yds
alfred morris - 124 yds
bernard pierce - 123 yds
33 sacks ..... ...pittsburgh had a down year in sacks and still had 37

the pats D gave up an average of almost 100 yds a game more than pittsburgh

was anyone talking about the great 4-3 bears D last year ? the year before ?

how many times in the last 10 years have the 4-3 bengals D led the league in sacks ?

your cherry pickin stats to make your case . show me a CONSISTENT 4-3 defense ...not a bunch of one hit wonders.

and by consistent defense , i mean one that's in the top 10 in the league every year..... oh wait...that'd be dick lebeau's 3-4.

now go ahead and make your case for switching ....i'll be waiting.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote