Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #41
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I hope you realize how ridiculous you seem with what you're posting. I hope I'm being trolled for your sake.
i think you started trolling me but if it makes you feel better to make that up also, go ahead
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #42
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,131 Times in 3,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
i think you started trolling me but if it makes you feel better to make that up also, go ahead
Since I can physically see that Woodley gained weight because of his injury and was ineffective because of his weight and injury, I'm a bullshitter. However, this makes as much sense as you pulling a conversation completely out of your ass about what Woodley might have said and, despite what numbers are telling you, you're sticking to this theory.

One of these things is not like the other.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #43
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Since I can physically see that Woodley gained weight because of his injury and was ineffective because of his weight and injury, I'm a bullshitter. However, this makes as much sense as you pulling a conversation completely out of your ass about what Woodley might have said and, despite what numbers are telling you, you're sticking to this theory.

One of these things is not like the other.
give it up 'mr. facts'.
you didnt know his weight before the injury and you dont know it now. speculation is all you have.
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,131 Times in 3,913 Posts

Thanks for the sweet new nickname, I might change my username to Mr. Facts.

Woodley weighed 265 before the injury and I'm guessing he weighs anywhere between 275 - 280 now. See, that's the difference, though. I'm just speculating on his weight - the result of my logic was sound. He was playing at a higher level and record-setting pace the year he got his big contract until he was injured. The fact that you haven't acknowledged this fact yet makes me realize that you're probably not going to. You'd rather sit there and stay with your speculation about conversations that never happened and Woodley's thought process which again, you can't ever know.

It's ok, though. I get it.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #45
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Thanks for the sweet new nickname, I might change my username to Mr. Facts.

Woodley weighed 265 before the injury and I'm guessing he weighs anywhere between 275 - 280 now. See, that's the difference, though. I'm just speculating on his weight - the result of my logic was sound. He was playing at a higher level and record-setting pace the year he got his big contract until he was injured. The fact that you haven't acknowledged this fact yet makes me realize that you're probably not going to. You'd rather sit there and stay with your speculation about conversations that never happened and Woodley's thought process which again, you can't ever know.

It's ok, though. I get it.
But you have to acknowledge that he underpeformed in a big way this year. And he has to fix that We pay him I think something around 11 mil and it's hard for every OLB to make that money worth it but he not only performed not to that level since his injuries but he is an absolut failure since then. So if he comes back to his 1st half 2011 form the next season I keep my mouth shut, but he has to produce now. We can't afford another season like that from him.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #46
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,824 Times in 7,531 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Woodley was not fatter this season... he just switched jerseys with Casey Hampton. Damn, y'all is dumb.

Really though, maybe it's because four people in my household have the flu (myself included), and I'm seeing things (due to lack of sleep & due to dehydration).... but... uh... is there reeeeally a debate going on about if Woodley was fatter???

I'm no doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express... and, YES!!!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #47
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

LOL, sloppyjoe, do you watch the games? Do you know which one Woodley is? If so, was he is looking thin to you?

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #48
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
yet....it amazes me how much i'm STILL seeing "restructure" being thrown about on this board.

As for the big contracts - look at all that elite Brinks money we threw around - much of it coming at nearly the same time.
Ben - Troy - Harrison - Woodley - Timmons - Just those contracts alone are cringe-inducing when you think about it.
I still don't know how teams like the Patriots keep coming in way under the cap and have all this wiggle room to do anything they damn well feel like doing. We're not even in the same league as putting teams/players/money together like they do.
I think our defensive scheme lends itself to cap difficulties. Think about it. Most of our defensive players don't get the opportunity to produce until years 3,4,5. By that time, the FO must decide who to pay and who not. With only one or two years of production to gauge value, mistakes are going to be made.

The Patsies get, quite often, immediate production out of rookies and get great value for these players....in other words, a rookie making $750k producing immediately...YEARS before demanding big money. Look at guys like McCourty, Spikes, Wilson, Jones, Hightower and Chung. They are producing immediately, and on the cheap.

Combined salaries of those players? $7.3mil.
Combined salaries of Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, and Taylor? $22.7mil.

Don't flame me for bringing up the Patsies. I hate 'em, but they do find ways to make their young guys relevant right away. The Steelers used to handle personnel in a much different way than they do now. Guys hitting age 30 generally were allowed to walk. Many times to my dismay, but it was hard to argue that for the most part, those decisions didn't bite us in the ass.

I LOVE LeBeau, but is it possible to get some production out of our defensive youngsters a little earlier? That way, smarter decisions on long-term contracts can be made when the time comes.

Last edited by SteeleReign; 01-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #49
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I think our defensive scheme lends itself to cap difficulties. Think about it. Most of our defensive players don't get the opportunity to produce until years 3,4,5. By that time, the FO must decide who to pay and who not. With only one or two years of production to gauge value, mistakes are going to be made.

The Patsies get, quite often, immediate production out of rookies and get great value for these players....in other words, a rookie making $750k producing immediately...YEARS before demanding big money. Look at guys like McCourty, Spikes, Wilson, Jones, Hightower and Chung. They are producing immediately, and on the cheap.

Combined salaries of those players? $7.3mil.
Combined salaries of Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, and Taylor? $22.7mil.

Don't flame me for bringing up the Patsies. I hate 'em, but they do find ways to make their young guys relevant right away. The Steelers used to handle personnel in a much different way that they do now. Guys hitting age 30 generally were allowed to walk. Many times to my dismay, but it was hard to argue that for the most part, those decisions didn't bite us in the ass.

I LOVE LeBeau, but is it possible to get some production out of our defensive youngsters a little earlier? That way, smarter decisions on long-term contracts can be made when the time comes.
I believe we'll start seeing the utilization of younger guys and we'll see more trial by fire this season than ever in the Tomlin era - fantastic points - we really need to see what we have a little sooner than before - confidence building through game experience needs to be implemented - keeping guys fresh wouldn't hurt either

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #50
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I believe we'll start seeing the utilization of younger guys and we'll see more trial by fire this season than ever in the Tomlin era - fantastic points - we really need to see what we have a little sooner than before - confidence building through game experience needs to be implemented - keeping guys fresh wouldn't hurt either
There's another reason to throw rookies into the fire. In the military we called it OJT - on the job training, Give them the opportunity to build confidence right away - as a rookie. Sure they'll make mistakes, but hopefully the veterans on the squad will make up for the rookie mistakes.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote