Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

By Vignesh Ramachandran, Staff Writer, NBC News
Five people were wounded in accidents at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio and Indiana on Saturday, according to authorities.

Follow @NBCNewsUS
In Raleigh, N.C., authorities said three people were wounded when a loaded shotgun accidentally discharged at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the N.C. State Fairgrounds.

Officials say Gary Lynn Wilson, 36, was having his shotgun checked before entering the show when the incident happened. He was unzipping his 12-gauge shotgun's case when it accidentally fired birdshot pellets, hitting three people, The News & Observer in Raleigh reported. Wilson was planning on privately selling the gun at the show, according to NBC affiliate WNCN.

The three victims, Janet Hoover, Linwood Hester and Jake Alderman, were hit, respectively, in the right torso, left hand and right hand, WNCN reported. They were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Witness Daniel Peadan told WNCN he was about to enter the building, when he heard a loud pop: "The people right there at the door, a lot of them ran ... They scattered because it was chaotic."

"This was an accidental discharge," said Brian Long, a spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, in a statement.

The show closed early Saturday because of the shooting, according to The News & Observer. When the show reopens Sunday private gun sales will not be permitted, but only sales by licensed dealers at the show are allowed, Long said. By Saturday evening, the event's website clearly stipulated: "No personal firearms are to be brought into the show."

The Wake County Sheriff's Department is investigating Saturday's incident, and it's not clear yet whether there are pending charges, according to Long.

In Medina, Ohio, an exhibitor at a local gun show was opening a box containing a gun when the weapon went off, striking his partner, who was sitting next to him, NBC station WKYC of Cleveland reported.

The victim suffered non-life threatening injuries in the arm and thigh and was taken to a hospital.

Police told WKYC the shooting was accidental, and a man who attended the show had sold that gun to the exhibitor.

In Indianapolis, state police said a 54-year-old man was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic gun when he shot himself in the hand, The Associated Press reported. The victim, Emory L. Cozee, had been leaving the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds, officials told the AP. Loaded personal weapons are not permitted inside this show, according to the AP.

Cozee was hospitalized. Police told the AP no charges will be filed and the shooting was accidental.

These incidents all happened on the first "National Gun Appreciation Day," which was organized by Political Media, a Republican consulting firm.

In Raleigh, police say around 200 gun-rights supporters marched around the legislative building in downtown Raleigh on Saturday, The News & Observer reported.

Across the country Saturday, there were similar rallies by gun-rights advocates. In Brooksville, Fla., about 1,000 people gathered holding signs like "Stop the Gun Grabbers," Reuters reported. In Denver, just miles away from the scene of the July 2012 movie theater massacre, about 500 people were outside the state capitol rallying, according to Reuters.

The attack on an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., that left 20 first-graders and six staffers dead in December has sparked a new debate over gun control. Last week, President Barack Obama proposed new gun controls to reduce violence.

Firearms expert Greg A. Danas told NBC News while it's up to a gun show owner to determine safety rules, he recommends measures like inspecting guns and ensuring firing pins are disabled.

"Even people with the best intentions, screw up, occasionally make mistakes," Danas said.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

The only thing that could prevent these tragedies is more guns.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Armed School Security Guard Clark Arnold Leaves Gun Unattended In Student Bathroom

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2505747.html




Then you have this:


If you were in that store how do you know this guy isn't a crazed gunman trying to beat the last guy's tally? How do you know he isn't just a dumb ass who will accidentally shoot you like the idiots at the gun shows?
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Armed School Security Guard Clark Arnold Leaves Gun Unattended In Student Bathroom

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2505747.html




Then you have this:


If you were in that store how do you know this guy isn't a crazed gunman trying to beat the last guy's tally? How do you know he isn't just a dumb ass who will accidentally shoot you like the idiots at the gun shows?
Because his hands aren't on his weapon and he appears to be in a checkout line paying for something? Were liberals THIS afraid of legal gun owners before Colorado and Newton? I certainly never heard such a clamor before that. Two people go off the rails, and suddenly everyone is a potential nut. Talk about living your life in fear.

I heard about the gun show thing. How tragic. Luckily, no one opened fire and mowed down 50 people. It was that close, apparently.

Yes, accidents are going to happen. 5 people got injured out of thousands (maybe tens of thousands) that attended those shows nationwide yesterday. That isn't even a statistic worth talking about.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Because his hands aren't on his weapon and he appears to be in a checkout line paying for something?

I heard about the gun show thing. How tragic. Luckily, no one opened fire and mowed down 50 people. It was that close, apparently.

Yes, accidents are going to happen. 5 people got injured out of thousands (maybe tens of thousands) that attended those shows nationwide yesterday. That isn't even a statistic worth talking about.
5 accidentally shot out of 10,000 isn't significant? Heinz field holds 65,000. If everyone was carrying at the next game you attend and only 32 are shot (higher if people, God forbid, drink at the game) you are fine and will feel safe with your family there. Odds in your favor and all.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
5 accidentally shot out of 10,000 isn't significant? Heinz field holds 65,000. If everyone was carrying at the next game you attend and only 32 are shot (higher if people, God forbid, drink at the game) you are fine and will feel safe with your family there. Odds in your favor and all.
No, it's actually not significant. That's not a valid comparison either, because you know for a fact that not everyone is going to carry a gun at Heinz field. You're creating a straw man argument.

If you wanted to even make a valid argument here, you would say this is one of the reasons the gun show loopholes should be closed (which isn't limited to gun shows, gun show is just a buzzword). And I agree that they should be closed. Gun shows should be limited to FFL sellers. You'll never (or very rarely) catch one of them trying to sell a loaded shotgun (the guy selling it most likely forgot). The other two, who were openly loading their pistols, should be criminally punished in some way (I'm guessing their not stark raving criminals, so I'd lay a hefty fine on them for being stupid). These are realistic solutions.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
No, it's actually not significant. That's not a valid comparison either, because you know for a fact that not everyone is going to carry a gun at Heinz field. You're creating a straw man argument.

If you wanted to even make a valid argument here, you would say this is one of the reasons the gun show loopholes should be closed (which isn't limited to gun shows, gun show is just a buzzword). And I agree that they should be closed. Gun shows should be limited to FFL sellers. You'll never (or very rarely) catch one of them trying to sell a loaded shotgun (the guy selling it most likely forgot). The other two, who were openly loading their pistols, should be criminally punished in some way (I'm guessing their not stark raving criminals, so I'd lay a hefty fine on them for being stupid). These are realistic solutions.
I'lll leave for now how callous I think your statistics comment was. My argument is that there are too many stupid people to have guns everywhere. in anyone's hands. I certainly wouldn't let them in my store if I had one. And some argue you should be able to take them anywhere, even into bars and clubs.

So tell me what the penalty should be for the owner if he accidentally kills someone in a public place. How about if he just mames someone? If your kid is shot does it help to know it was just some HS dropout trying to feel powerful by carrying a 357 instead of a "stark raving criminal?"
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

At least the gun show in NC got the message quick. This is how gun shows should be. While you'll never see a massacre at a gun show, I do understand that the loophole needs closed. Not just because people can be stupid and forgetful, but private sellers don't do background checks. This is wrong.

The show closed early Saturday because of the shooting, according to The News & Observer. When the show reopens Sunday private gun sales will not be permitted, but only sales by licensed dealers at the show are allowed, Long said. By Saturday evening, the event's website clearly stipulated: "No personal firearms are to be brought into the show."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...o-indiana?lite

And OMG...not a common sense response! That's heinous!

Firearms expert Greg A. Danas told NBC News while it's up to a gun show owner to determine safety rules, he recommends measures like inspecting guns and ensuring firing pins are disabled.
"Even people with the best intentions, screw up, occasionally make mistakes," Danas said.


(same link)
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I'lll leave for now how callous I think your statistics comment was. My argument is that there are too many stupid people to have guns everywhere. in anyone's hands. I certainly wouldn't let them in my store if I had one. And some argue you should be able to take them anywhere, even into bars and clubs.

So tell me what the penalty should be for the owner if he accidentally kills someone in a public place. How about if he just mames someone? If your kid is shot does it help to know it was just some HS dropout trying to feel powerful by carrying a 357 instead of a "stark raving criminal?"
Why are you even arguing that first point? No rational person wants that. Nobody I've ever come into contact with at least. Why is it that when people argue that those who are legally cleared to own and carry firearms should retain their 2nd amendment rights to do so, people against it automatically jump to the conclusion that we think anyone should be allowed to carry anything, anywhere. That's simply not the case.

I don't need to tell you what I think the penalties should be for those things. There are already laws that cover that. If you think those laws should be stricter, that's fine. Talk to those in your local community about getting those laws changed.

I won't even dignify your last comment with a response. It's even more callous than my statistic comment.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,838
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 678
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: 5 accidentally shot at gun shows in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Why are you even arguing that first point? No rational person wants that. Nobody I've ever come into contact with at least. Why is it that when people argue for people who are legally cleared to own and carry firearms should retain their 2nd amendment rights to do so, people against is automatically jump to the conclusion that we think anyone should be allowed to carry anything, anywhere. That's simply not the case.

I don't need to tell you what I think the penalties should be for those things. There are already laws that cover that. If you think those laws should be stricter, that's fine. Talk to those in your local community about getting those laws changed.

I won't even dignify your last comment with a response. It's even more callous than my statistic comment.
My comment was hypothetical yours was about real wounded people you don't give a shit about. Or, as you put, are not worth talking about.

But moving on to you not believing that anyone should be able to carry anywhere - tell me specifically the restrictions and limitation you endorse. Who can carry and who can't? Where is it ok and where is it not? Who decides and how is it enforced?
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts