Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #21
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: 3-4 to a 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
here's the "ridiculous " G-men front 7...
demarco murray - 131 yds
leshawn mccoy - 123 yds
alfred morris - 120 yds
isaac redman - 147 yds
alfred morris - 124 yds
bernard pierce - 123 yds
33 sacks ..... ...pittsburgh had a down year in sacks and still had 37

the pats D gave up an average of almost 100 yds a game more than pittsburgh

was anyone talking about the great 4-3 bears D last year ? the year before ?

how many times in the last 10 years have the 4-3 bengals D led the league in sacks ?

your cherry pickin stats to make your case . show me a CONSISTENT 4-3 defense ...not a bunch of one hit wonders.

and by consistent defense , i mean one that's in the top 10 in the league every year..... oh wait...that'd be dick lebeau's 3-4.

now go ahead and make your case for switching ....i'll be waiting.
A top ten d and still 8-8. Being the number one d is based on yards per game and if you didnt notice due to our lack of offense and terrible punting teams would normally start at the 40 or 50. Teams against us this year never had far to travel against us. So the whole number one thing is very misleading.

You woulnd want the bears d?! They produced the most points and that would of at least won us a few more games.

You cant always say we had the number defense to make a argument because it is very misleading our d did not look like the number 1 d at all this year.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Did you close your eyes while you watch the games? In your statement almost all of the Steelers front 7 underperformed. But we were only the #1 defense in the country and the 5th best Run Defense. Harrison was very solid since the 2nd half of the season. He was one big reasons we looked so good as Ben was injured. And I don't know if you only consider pressure here by the D-Line or their whole game because they looked very straight in the Run game. The pressure in a 3-4 Defense should be normally created by OLBs. And of course in Lebeaus offense by the guys who're blitzing. So I don't your problem here at all.
Harrison was average with flashes of good....He makes to much mola to play average.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Did you close your eyes while you watch the games? In your statement almost all of the Steelers front 7 underperformed. But we were only the #1 defense in the country and the 5th best Run Defense. Harrison was very solid since the 2nd half of the season. He was one big reasons we looked so good as Ben was injured. And I don't know if you only consider pressure here by the D-Line or their whole game because they looked very straight in the Run game. The pressure in a 3-4 Defense should be normally created by OLBs. And of course in Lebeaus offense by the guys who're blitzing. So I don't your problem here at all.
Harrison was average with flashes of good....He makes to much mola to play average.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
You woulnd want the bears d?! They produced the most points and that would of at least won us a few more games.

You cant always say we had the number defense to make a argument because it is very misleading our d did not look like the number 1 d at all this year.
Do you want to have a worse defense for 2 years while the Steelers transition to a 4-3 Cover 2 defense? I think the Vikings run a Tampa 2....are they instantly great because they run that schem??

Do you think that running a 4-3 guarantees turnovers? Maybe its athletes with a nose for the football like Tillman, Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, etc that create turnovers...not the scheme.

Its an old arguement. Almost older than "we need a big RB, Draft Ron Dayne, Brandon Jacobs, etc"
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,798 Times in 8,650 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
hey, you can never have enough 3-4/4-3 or Mike Wallace threads...
Fire Haley
Fire Tomlin
LeBeau is old
Switch to the 4-3
Draft Jerome Bettis, part II
Trade BB
Anything at all pertaining to Wallace

(repeat)
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
A top ten d and still 8-8. Being the number one d is based on yards per game and if you didnt notice due to our lack of offense and terrible punting teams would normally start at the 40 or 50. Teams against us this year never had far to travel against us. So the whole number one thing is very misleading.

i highlighted the relevant parts of your post.
the defenses job is to
A - stop the opposing offense from scoring
B - limit the opposing offense to as little yardage as possible and force them to punt
the steelers were # 6 on part A, and # 1 in the league on part B
you guys are acting as if teams were putting up 35 points on the D every week.
the bottom line is the offense ONCE AGAIN failed to hold up their end of the game by NOT scoring enough points. like i said in another thread , if the steelers offense averaged 35 points a game like the patriots did , they'd be undefeated right now and nobody would be bashing the defense.

once again i'll ask..where has that great bears 4-3 D been the last few years ? they run a 4-3 so they have to be good every year right?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i highlighted the relevant parts of your post.
the defenses job is to
A - stop the opposing offense from scoring
B - limit the opposing offense to as little yardage as possible and force them to punt
the steelers were # 6 on part A, and # 1 in the league on part B
you guys are acting as if teams were putting up 35 points on the D every week.
the bottom line is the offense ONCE AGAIN failed to hold up their end of the game by NOT scoring enough points. like i said in another thread , if the steelers offense averaged 35 points a game like the patriots did , they'd be undefeated right now and nobody would be bashing the defense.

once again i'll ask..where has that great bears 4-3 D been the last few years ? they run a 4-3 so they have to be good every year right?
I totally agree with you - the offense didn't hold up its part - and that was even more exposed as the defense had a terrible year in terms of wreaking havoc - forcing turnovers means extra possessions and better field position. You're right - the defense cannot be dominant every single season - just don't rely on rankings - lack of turnovers took this team down another notch and helped shine some light on an offense - especially as the year went on and we were more banged up. This is not an O that can consistently march the field over the course of the Arians era. I'd argue they were showing promise going into the KC game. Just some food for thought - Not saying its the D's fault - but, it heightened everyone's awareness to what it really takes to win a SB - if you aren't creating turnovers - its that much harder on a struggling O.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I totally agree with you - the offense didn't hold up its part - and that was even more exposed as the defense had a terrible year in terms of wreaking havoc - forcing turnovers means extra possessions and better field position. You're right - the defense cannot be dominant every single season - just don't rely on rankings - lack of turnovers took this team down another notch and helped shine some light on an offense - especially as the year went on and we were more banged up. This is not an O that can consistently march the field over the course of the Arians era. I'd argue they were showing promise going into the KC game. Just some food for thought - Not saying its the D's fault - but, it heightened everyone's awareness to what it really takes to win a SB - if you aren't creating turnovers - its that much harder on a struggling O.
so would running a 4-3 create more turnovers ? would ike taylors stonehands magically transform into venus fly traps ? remember the argument here is switching to the 4-3.
how many missed opportunties for turnovers and even pick sixes were there ? i recall several.
my point is the players failed the scheme, the scheme didn't fail the players.
the bears ran the same D they did last year but nobody was using them as an example to switch to the 4-3 , so why now just because the ball bounced there way more than usual are they the poster child for switching to a 4-3 D ?
could the players have had anything to do with their new found success ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #29
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Do you want to have a worse defense for 2 years while the Steelers transition to a 4-3 Cover 2 defense? I think the Vikings run a Tampa 2....are they instantly great because they run that schem??

Do you think that running a 4-3 guarantees turnovers? Maybe its athletes with a nose for the football like Tillman, Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, etc that create turnovers...not the scheme.

Its an old arguement. Almost older than "we need a big RB, Draft Ron Dayne, Brandon Jacobs, etc"
I never said I wanted a Tampa two what I meant was you guys wouldn't want a d that had 8tds last year. And it can be cause of a 4-3 because most of the Time you only rush 4. A and have 7 in coverage. 6teams in the top 8 in int ran 4-3 defenses.

Again it's not an old arguement its a strong possibility after dick leaves. We have more guys that played in a 4-3 than we do a 3-4. The 3-4 relies on the 3 down lineman to hold of blockers to let the linebackers do there thing. Hood and heyward and mccllendon most likely wont be as good as hampton smith Brett. Hood was also credited to the reason Woodley didn't have a great year his play was poor and teams targeted him and ran right at his side.

Like I said I love the 3-4 I think it's the best d when it's working. But we don't have the personal anymore. It's a possibility and everyone should be aware of that.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
I never said I wanted a Tampa two what I meant was you guys wouldn't want a d that had 8tds last year. And it can be cause of a 4-3 because most of the Time you only rush 4. A and have 7 in coverage. 6teams in the top 8 in int ran 4-3 defenses.

Again it's not an old arguement its a strong possibility after dick leaves. We have more guys that played in a 4-3 than we do a 3-4. The 3-4 relies on the 3 down lineman to hold of blockers to let the linebackers do there thing. Hood and heyward and mccllendon most likely wont be as good as hampton smith Brett. Hood was also credited to the reason Woodley didn't have a great year his play was poor and teams targeted him and ran right at his side.

Like I said I love the 3-4 I think it's the best d when it's working. But we don't have the personal anymore. It's a possibility and everyone should be aware of that.
We dont have the personell for anything other than a 3-4 right now. Nobody on the squad is a pass rushing DE...not Keisel, not Woodley. Both Timmons and Spence are better WILL LB's.

Besides, your arguement that teams only rush 4 in a 4-3 isnt much different than a 3-4. Generally on passing downs the NT comes out and the teams rush 4, or sometimes blitz. 4-3 teams blitz also. You are putting out a suggestion for the wrong reasons and wrong rationale......but go ahead. Its mildly amusing/entertaining, because it happens every year.