Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: I'm embarrassed to be a Steeler fan today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
actually, I do agree with what you're saying here.

although it pisses me off to have people tell me to go root for another team if i disagree with some of their decisions or if I don't think they will go undefeated every season, I'm also NEVER embarrassed to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers either.
I thought we were on the same page. I may disagree with my family but I'm not embarrassed to be their family.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,004 Times in 4,286 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
I thought we were on the same page. I may disagree with my family but I'm not embarrassed to be their family.
very good analogy...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Without getting into the bickering that's going on between fans on this thread I just want to comment on the rule. The bigggest problem, in my estimation, is that they want something that just won't happen. These guys, owners of NFL franchises, are billionares. They got that way by hiring the best candidates within their respective irganization AND by having huge ego's. You just don't get to that level without those 2 things, No matter how much you fine them, threaten them or tell them to do something I trulyt believe they will hire the best candidate for the job. Whether they are white/balck or otherwise. I mean white cnadidates get overlooked as well. The Rooney's are in a position of power in that they championed the effort and they have their minority coach so they can "preach form the pulpit" all they want but I do not believe it will change anything. They also over compensating, like we do in this country, for past sins. There is such a history of racial inequality in this country that they are going overboard. And I will also say that there is a place for this rule as there is for all civil rights laws/rules I just don't think it changes anything and they didn't have to make these over the top comments to open anyone's eyes as we all know our history hence the reason we will not repeat it. Just my opinion.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #34
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,083 Times in 3,413 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Without getting into the bickering that's going on between fans on this thread I just want to comment on the rule. The bigggest problem, in my estimation, is that they want something that just won't happen. These guys, owners of NFL franchises, are billionares. They got that way by hiring the best candidates within their respective irganization AND by having huge ego's. You just don't get to that level without those 2 things, No matter how much you fine them, threaten them or tell them to do something I trulyt believe they will hire the best candidate for the job. Whether they are white/balck or otherwise. I mean white cnadidates get overlooked as well. The Rooney's are in a position of power in that they championed the effort and they have their minority coach so they can "preach form the pulpit" all they want but I do not believe it will change anything. They also over compensating, like we do in this country, for past sins. There is such a history of racial inequality in this country that they are going overboard. And I will also say that there is a place for this rule as there is for all civil rights laws/rules I just don't think it changes anything and they didn't have to make these over the top comments to open anyone's eyes as we all know our history hence the reason we will not repeat it. Just my opinion.
the thing about the rule is they still can hire the person they feel is the best. Just because you interview somebody doesn't mean they have to get the job.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I'm not ashamed to be a Steeler fan, but that rule is an embarassment.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #36
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

This thread is an embarrassment, but I'm not surprised.

That's not the reason you're embarrassed. You're embarrassed because the Steelers had an 8-8 season due to terrible circumstances and you're upset about it. If the Steelers did better this year, you wouldn't really give a shit.

People like you since 2007 have been lying in wait, waiting for the first time Tomlin messed up and you're like "See? I told you he sucked! Get rid of him!" Where were you people before this year? Hell, where were you people when the team was 6-3?

That said, the rule is a joke.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
zcoop (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #37
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,681 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead

The lead up:

The punchline:
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #38
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
seriously - who effing cares

Tomlin beat out Whiz and Grimm - you mean to tell me they would have done a better job? How about Rivera?

getting the job because he's black? - you're so ignorant - I guess it must be blissful for you
So the namesake of the Rooney Rule says the goal is for minorities to get these jobs, and you think it had nothing to do with Tomlin being hired?

A lot of people with their heads in the sand.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #39
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
There's a difference in not turning your back on your family and being embarrassed by them.

If you have to go down and pick up your naked father at the drunk tank every weekend, it's OK to be embarrassed.

Blind loyalty and jingoism is for stupid animals.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #40
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
This thread is an embarrassment, but I'm not surprised.

That's not the reason you're embarrassed. You're embarrassed because the Steelers had an 8-8 season due to terrible circumstances and you're upset about it. If the Steelers did better this year, you wouldn't really give a shit.

People like you since 2007 have been lying in wait, waiting for the first time Tomlin messed up and you're like "See? I told you he sucked! Get rid of him!" Where were you people before this year? Hell, where were you people when the team was 6-3?

That said, the rule is a joke.
Where did I say we should get rid of Tomlin? I feel bad that his employer admitted publicly that he was hired primarily for his skin color.

I'd rather get rid of Rooney and his dopey son. This team would have been better off had a businessman like Druckenmiller bought them.