Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,650 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: 2013 NFL Draft: Steelers Draft Prospects by Position - Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Maybe... but, as Hawaii suggested: trade back a little...
and depending on how far you trade back you can pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in the process...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

lol Yeah I like that mock to Hawaii

2 things I would change is Gerald Hodges for Skov ... and DJ Swearinger for Mauti

Elam and Swearinger while a smaller safety unit , they can hit

But I like Swope or Cobi Hamilton

Gillislee is the most well rounded RB in this draft to me, I project him to have the best pro Career

and I love Michael Williams would tremendously help the run game
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,649 Posts

What...no mention of D. J. Swearinger from South Carolina?? Should be on the radar.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What...no mention of D. J. Swearinger from South Carolina?? Should be on the radar.
Definitly he's a hard working beast with a lot of potential. Swearinger should be taken into consideration.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Football in general is too caught up with height and weight and speed and bench press. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that. I'm just saying it is well worth it to draft largely on instinct and competitiveness. Obviously those are "intangibles" and you can't test for those. Some times those intangibles show up. Hines had them in spades and I think so did other overachievers like Keisel, Aaron Smith etc.

I think Elam has those intangibles based on the way he reads plays, disguises what he is doing to the quarterback, his lightning quick reactions- and he is the same height as Troy.

I would never dare to suggest who could play NT... I learned that lesson. Steve McLendon is 6-4, 320. I would think that would be a 3-4 DE. NT should be 6' - 6'2 and 330+ shouldn't they? McLendon doesn't pass the eye test- he isn't fat enough and he's too tall.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
he isn't fat enough and he's too tall.
Haha.
I thought DL in 3-4 had to be taller and bigger to take on double teams, eat up space and block the QB's vision. They also help the smaller LBs to sneak in on the QB.
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,428 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I would never dare to suggest who could play NT... I learned that lesson. Steve McLendon is 6-4, 320. I would think that would be a 3-4 DE. NT should be 6' - 6'2 and 330+ shouldn't they? McLendon doesn't pass the eye test- he isn't fat enough and he's too tall.
He still could get bigger in the off season his height is not a problem imo.

4 of the top NTs thats going to the draft is 6'4.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

2013 NFL Free Agents: Safeties

2013 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2013.

Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 26.

Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact.

Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers. Age: 28.

Dashon Goldson had some issues in coverage back in 2011, but did what he needed to do to correct them this past season. Goldson made the Pro Bowl for good reason.

Ed Reed, S, Ravens. Age: 34.

Ed Reed will turn 35 in September, but he still played at a high level for the Ravens this past season despite battling an injury.

Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 26.

Louis Delmas is one of the most talented safeties in the NFL, but he just can't stay healthy. He's missed 13 games in the past two seasons.

Glover Quin, S, Texans. Age: 27.

A converted cornerback, Glover Quin has starred in his new safety role over the past couple of years. He was particularly sound in 2012, so he deserves a nice contract.

William Moore, S, Falcons. Age: 28.

William Moore missed the final quarter of the season with a hamstring injury, but he performed extremely well in all facets otherwise.

Kenny Phillips, S, Giants. Age: 26.

Kenny Phillips is one of the better safeties when healthy, but he missed most of 2012 with a knee injury.

Patrick Chung, S, Patriots. Age: 26.

Patrick Chung missed several weeks in 2012 with multiple injuries, but he performed well when he was healthy, particularly in run support.

Stevie Brown (RFA), S, Giants. Age: 26.

Stevie Brown was impressive in relief of an injured Kenny Phillips, picking off eight passes. His one weakness is run support.

LaRon Landry, S, Jets. Age: 28.

No one wanted LaRon Landry last offseason. He was considered an injury waiting to happen. Well, he proved everyone wrong with a solid 2012 campaign. He should still be considered fragile, but he has definitely earned himself a nice contract.

Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins. Age: 27.

Chris Clemons proved to be a quality starting safety for the Dolphins this past year. He was penalized only twice, though he had trouble tackling on occasion.

Nate Clements, S/CB, Bengals. Age: 33.

Nate Clements, who turned 33 in December, had to play safety this past year because Taylor Mays was such a liability in coverage. He'll probably have to stay at safety given his declining skills.

Ronde Barber, S, Buccaneers. Age: 38.

It's remarkable that Ronde Barber was able to perform on such a high level this past season as a 37-year-old. He could retire though.

Chris Crocker, S, Bengals. Age: 33.

Chris Crocker is still an OK starting safety, but he'll be 33 in March. His best days are behind him.

Colt Anderson (RFA), S, Eagles. Age: 27.

Colt Anderson is not very physically gifted, but he's an instinctive safety who performed well for the Eagles down the stretch. He's also great on special teams.

Corey Lynch, S, Chargers. Age: 28.

Corey Lynch is an awesome special-teamer who performed well as a starting safety down the stretch in place of an injured Atari Bigby.

Yeremiah Bell, S, Jets. Age: 35.

Yeremiah Bell had a surprisingly decent year for the Jets, but he'll be 35 in March.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2013S.php
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

I would be thrilled to get byrd. But because our cap situation and byrd will get the most interset and money Idont see us getting him. In fact cause of our cap I dont see us do much in free aagency. We better hope for a strong draft
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Steelers 2013 salary cap options - Safeties

By SteelCityRoller on Jan 19

Pittsburgh has several key players whose contracts will demand special attention this off-season. Possible releases could consume one of the Steelers starting safeties - maybe both.

Suspicious minds are examining veteran contracts after general manager Kevin Colbert declared the Pittsburgh Steelers were "married" to no one. Key figures from championship rosters of the past are finding their careers exist on a bubble inflated with nostalgia.

As we continue our positional exploration of the 2013 roster and its compliance with the NFL salary cap, we have already recognized two highly paid players on the bubble list - Willie Colon and James Harrison. Opening the safety group reveals two more players whose tenures are in question, both starters - Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark.

Polamalu, Pittsburgh's long-haired legend, missed nine games in his tenth NFL season. Despite healthily starting every game in 2011 and the final five contests of 2012, some have come to label him as injury-prone. Polamalu has played in 130 of 160 regular season games since being drafted in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He has appeared in every possible game for five of his ten seasons.

At 31 years of age, one would assume he should be able to fulfill his contract, which has two years remaining; but people are questioning whether the Steelers should honor his contract, which accounts for the fourth-highest cap hit in 2013, based on a perceived uncertainty surrounding his ability to play an entire season, as time continues to erode the abilities which make him unique and dominant.

Polamalu is scheduled for cap hits of $10,387,500 (2013) and $11,137,500 (2014), but only $2,887,500 of each year is considered dead money - residual cap designations from signing bonuses which cannot be reassigned or restructured. With dead money being considerably low in ratio to base salaries, his contract has a wide range of options toward clearing cap space. We will focus on three.

First, Pittsburgh could release Polamalu - fear of injury or not - to clear some cap space in 2013, and all of his hit against 2014. His dead money would accelerate to a penalty of $5.775 million against 2013, but the Steelers would save $4,612,500 from his originally scheduled cap hit, while completely erasing his hit in 2014. The biggest problem with parting ways with Polamalu is the fact Pittsburgh doesn't have a definite replacement on the roster yet, leaving many to believe the Steelers will draft a safety early in the upcoming draft.

Should Pittsburgh decide to keep him for one more season, allowing a possible draft pick to understudy a future hall-of-famer, they could restructure his contract. Normally, team's don't restructure two year deals, but it would save some cap dollars without losing him in 2013. Should the team restructure $6.4 million of his $7.5 million base salary into a signing bonus, they could charge half ($3.2 million) to 2014, saving an equal amount in 2013. If Polamalu wants to play in 2014, the Steelers could offer him an extension without its own signing bonus, giving them extra years to spread restructured money across. An extension would allow the team to deal with a reduced dead money penalty in 2015, covering only money restructured out of 2013 and 2014.

The third option is to do nothing, allow him to play out 2013 and make the same tough decision prior to 2014, only with half of the penalty when considering release or retirement. The Steelers will most likely wish to retain him somehow, because all of the remaining safeties on their roster fit the mold of Clark, more than they do Polamalu.

The group of reserves behind the starters has only one member who was on the 53-man roster to open the 2012 season - Robert Golden. Golden saw most of his action on special teams and spot slot duty in defensive packages late in the season after Ike Taylor, Curtis Brown and Keenan Lewis began dealing with injuries. His flexibility between safety and corner make him a valuable player, but he will need to show more improvement before being considered as a possible starter.

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith has spent the past several seasons bouncing between the Steelers active roster and its practice squad. He will need to have a tremendous training camp as he will not only be expected to outshine any incoming draft picks to earn the spot behind Polamalu on the depth chart, but also make Pittsburgh forget about their two top reserve safeties from 2012 - Ryan Mundy and Will Allen.

Allen re-endeared himself to the Steelers when he took over for a struggling and unproductive Mundy as the team patiently awaited Polamalu's recovery. Both Allen and Mundy are about to become unrestricted free agents. Unfortunately Mundy's performance has not warranted another contract, and Allen's years of experience will demand too high of a contract even at CBA-mandated minimum, because of the team's position in regards to the salary cap.

Even Clark could become a cap casualty in 2013 - the final year on his contract. He is the least likely to be released of our bubble list players, but after dealing with a couple of concussions in 2012, his physical style of play is taking a toll on his longevity. The only real option outside of doing nothing at all, would be to release him. Subtracting his dead money from his originally scheduled cap hit saves $3.5 million dollars against the cap. Clark was one of the biggest reasons for pass-defensive success as players were repeatedly subbed in for injured men this past season. However, as Colbert said, the Steelers aren't married to anybody anymore.

Little has changed, outside of adding both Polamalu and Clark to our bubble list. After positional breakdowns have been explored, the bubble list will be revisited to determine which players are preventing the club from being cap compliant. Our cut list remains the same as well, however it won't remain this way for long.

Even if Pittsburgh does not sign any free agents other than their own players whose contracts have expired, there are at least seven more players which have to be accounted for in our cap math - our upcoming draft picks. The following numbers are merely estimates - budgets to accommodate for eventual insertions. The Steelers are slated to select 17th. These figures were calculated by using the contracts of the 16th selections from each round of the 2012 draft, with an additional $15,000 per season of base salary to compensate for the league-wide increase in salary cap, rookie and veteran minimum scale, and tags and tenders. These estimates will be updated once actual contracts have been signed.

The biggest question now, is where to assign these numbers to our 53-man ledger. We will include these numbers to insure we maintain our relativity to the cap in reality. I will let the readers decide where to assign these designations. The poll below asks which position the Steelers will draft with their first round pick. Whichever position the majority selects is where we'll insert the draft selection and make any necessary cuts to make room for the new player.

In our next installment, we will insert our first draft pick and explore another group of multi-taskers. Safeties are required to support run defense and cover pass receivers. On offense, tight ends are expected to block defenders and catch passes. In Pittsburgh, a tight end is arguably the most important player of his team's offensive unit; but his injured knee will make his contract one of the most glaring issues for the Steelers front office.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...lu-clark-allen