Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #91
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,736
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 2,751
Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I don't know why you are tearing down Terry to build Ben up. The poor guy worked within his team doing the best he could to get 4 superbowls and he never consistently had as good a defense as Ben's.

You failed to list the only season where the Steelers were first in scoring and yards, 1979. Terry was second in passing by less than 300 yards to Coryell's famous "Air Coryell" Chargers putting up 3655 yards. The rushing offense added 2603 yards also good for second best. The offense was first in total yards and points with 26 per game.

The only time in Steelers history they have led the NFL in total yards or points and they did it in the same year! The greatest Steelers offense ever! Ter-ry! Ter-ry! Ter-ry!
Ben has more talent and ability than Terry ever had - and that is saying a lot, because Terry was in fact one of the best ever.

Come on Ben . . . roll up that Rosetta Stone . . .it'll open your mind, maaaan . . .
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #92
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,868
Member Number: 7718
Thanks: 96
Thanked 766 Times in 341 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Hey now just because I used Terry to show that Ben does not have ALL the talent around him, make no mistake Terry Bradshaw was talented, it was just a different time and a different game, (thanks Goodell) Terry did what he had to to win, Chuck Noll was an original hard nose HC , who believed in hardnosed football. While Terry was erratic at times, made some bone head plays, and like I said leave you scratching your head, he would pull out some of the most beautiful deep passes to strike quick. We were a pounder of the rock as the numbers show , but Terry was able to hit enough of those deep beauties to keep most defenses honest. And Lloyd it was not intention to tear down Terry, I was making a point that we were a different kind of team then and while I enjoyed those years and would love to see them again I do not believe another team can duplicate that style with that kind of success. Bashers of Ben do not view his body of work with any kind of rationale when comparing Ben to Terry. For example Jack Lambert was my favorite Steeler (surprised a bunch with that statement I bet) But to compare him to a Timmons or Woodley would not be fair to any party. Lambert was undersized but had the heart of a warrior, yet I wonder if today if he could even make any team, while with Timmons and Woodley size in the 70s would or should of been dominant. Different eras.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #93
4xSBChamps
Head Coach
 
4xSBChamps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: formerly PRR milepost 322
Posts: 1,966
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1911
Thanks: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

yeah, Bradshaw may've had a 1:1 ratio of TD to interceptions, and only had a 52% completion rate, but the game was completely different then
I believe Noll's philosophy was 'when you throw the ball, throw it to do-damage', not dunk-n-dink

if Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins & Larry Brown were able to legally hold pass-rushers, Bradshaw would've had more-time to throw the ball accurately

despite the game being much-quicker today, the game was more violent in those days, without fear of reprisals from the League
the hit Larry Cole put on Bradshaw in SB10 would result in instant death (and an extra draft-pick to the Cheatriots*) under Ms. Goodell, had it happened under her watch

after his tumultuous 1974 season (losing his job, and I believe his first marriage dissolved), Bradshaw never complained again, nor drew attention to himself
when Joe Turkey Jones spiked him 1976, Bradshaw kept his mouth shut (no 'near-death' comments were made), re-habbed himself, and helped Kruzek learn the offense

plus, Shanklin, Lewis, Swann & Stallworth ran through the defensive secondary for much of Bradshaw's career with their heads on a swivel, as the bump-n-run was prevalent, and clothes-line hits were common-place
with Bradshaw's rifle-arm, what kind-of numbers do you think those receivers would put-up in today's 'basketball-on-turf' mentality?

Bradshaw, in his prime, would be just as-comfortable and just as-dangerous playing in today's watered-down version of the NFL as Brady, either of Archie's boys, Rogers, Brees, etc.
to think otherwise is foolish
__________________
"If I could start my life all-over again, I would be a professional football-player, and you damn-well better-believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!"
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4xSBChamps For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #94
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Hey now just because I used Terry to show that Ben does not have ALL the talent around him, make no mistake Terry Bradshaw was talented, it was just a different time and a different game, (thanks Goodell) Terry did what he had to to win, Chuck Noll was an original hard nose HC , who believed in hardnosed football. While Terry was erratic at times, made some bone head plays, and like I said leave you scratching your head, he would pull out some of the most beautiful deep passes to strike quick. We were a pounder of the rock as the numbers show , but Terry was able to hit enough of those deep beauties to keep most defenses honest. And Lloyd it was not intention to tear down Terry, I was making a point that we were a different kind of team then and while I enjoyed those years and would love to see them again I do not believe another team can duplicate that style with that kind of success. Bashers of Ben do not view his body of work with any kind of rationale when comparing Ben to Terry. For example Jack Lambert was my favorite Steeler (surprised a bunch with that statement I bet) But to compare him to a Timmons or Woodley would not be fair to any party. Lambert was undersized but had the heart of a warrior, yet I wonder if today if he could even make any team, while with Timmons and Woodley size in the 70s would or should of been dominant. Different eras.
I think Lambert would have made the team. London Fletcher has the body of a trucker (apologies to present company if I have offended anyone) and he is one of the best lbs in the game. Sam Mills comes to mind as well. Farrior played at 218 and went to the Probowl in 08.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,868
Member Number: 7718
Thanks: 96
Thanked 766 Times in 341 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
yeah, Bradshaw may've had a 1:1 ratio of TD to interceptions, and only had a 52% completion rate, but the game was completely different then
I believe Noll's philosophy was 'when you throw the ball, throw it to do-damage', not dunk-n-dink

if Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins & Larry Brown were able to legally hold pass-rushers, Bradshaw would've had more-time to throw the ball accurately

despite the game being much-quicker today, the game was more violent in those days, without fear of reprisals from the League
the hit Larry Cole put on Bradshaw in SB10 would result in instant death (and an extra draft-pick to the Cheatriots*) under Ms. Goodell, had it happened under her watch

after his tumultuous 1974 season (losing his job, and I believe his first marriage dissolved), Bradshaw never complained again, nor drew attention to himself
when Joe Turkey Jones spiked him 1976, Bradshaw kept his mouth shut (no 'near-death' comments were made), re-habbed himself, and helped Kruzek learn the offense

plus, Shanklin, Lewis, Swann & Stallworth ran through the defensive secondary for much of Bradshaw's career with their heads on a swivel, as the bump-n-run was prevalent, and clothes-line hits were common-place
with Bradshaw's rifle-arm, what kind-of numbers do you think those receivers would put-up in today's 'basketball-on-turf' mentality?

Bradshaw, in his prime, would be just as-comfortable and just as-dangerous playing in today's watered-down version of the NFL as Brady, either of Archie's boys, Rogers, Brees, etc.
to think otherwise is foolish
like I said, different eras, no way to accurately compare Ben to Terry or vice versa. With Ben having the running game and the OL of Terry team I am sure his numbers would not ha luster of today in yards, TDs, and percentage.. While on the other hand Terry would not benefit from the protection of that quality of OL and the ability to run the ball. I do not hesitate to think that both could of interchanged and had a successful career.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #96
wootawnee
Assistant Coach
 
wootawnee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Cruz , Ca
Posts: 1,188
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4530
Thanks: 127
Thanked 252 Times in 156 Posts
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben has more talent and ability than Terry ever had - and that is saying a lot, because Terry was in fact one of the best ever.

Come on Ben . . . roll up that Rosetta Stone . . .it'll open your mind, maaaan . . .
Dude this post is a joke...Brad coulda been a NFL running back...He ran a 4.5 40.... Ben's arm is nothing like Terry's was..... You obviously never watched Terry play....... Terry used to set up defenses in his prime.....Called his own plays.........Oh yea, in the big dance, Terry is 4-0 Ben 2-1.... Come on man....
__________________
Heart Matters The Most..................
wootawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #97
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,736
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 2,751
Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Dude this post is a joke...Brad coulda been a NFL running back...He ran a 4.5 40.... Ben's arm is nothing like Terry's was..... You obviously never watched Terry play....... Terry used to set up defenses in his prime.....Called his own plays.........Oh yea, in the big dance, Terry is 4-0 Ben 2-1.... Come on man....
"Dude"

"Come on Man"

Anything else you'd like to respond to 19 days from now?
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #98
FrancoLambert
Head Coach
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 1,737
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Terry- 4 Super Bowls with highly contributory play in 3 of them.
Ben - 2 Super bowls with highly contributory play in 1, mediocre in the other.

Terry - much better deep ball (distance and accuracy).

Terry - called his own plays within Noll's framework.
Ben - doesn't get the freedom Terry did, but if he did what would you expect?

Toughness - even and both are two of the toughest ever to play QB.

Rising to the occassion - edge to Terry, 4-0 in the SB, hard to ignore the significance of this. It's a big credential he has over Ben.

Sure Terry had the better supporting cast but his performances in XIII and XIV seals it.

Overall, Terry's the better QB. No myth there.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #99
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend
 
Dino 6 Rings's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arkansas (formerly New Jersey)
Posts: 8,248
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6891
Thanks: 17
Thanked 57 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Terry- 4 Super Bowls with highly contributory play in 3 of them.
Ben - 2 Super bowls with highly contributory play in 1, mediocre in the other.

Terry - much better deep ball (distance and accuracy).

Terry - called his own plays within Noll's framework.
Ben - doesn't get the freedom Terry did, but if he did what would you expect?

Toughness - even and both are two of the toughest ever to play QB.

Rising to the occassion - edge to Terry, 4-0 in the SB, hard to ignore the significance of this. It's a big credential he has over Ben.

Sure Terry had the better supporting cast but his performances in XIII and XIV seals it.

Overall, Terry's the better QB. No myth there.
what he said
__________________
SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have?
Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2 Bears 1,Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints1
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #100
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 98
Thanked 222 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

They always turn "more" into a legend either when they retire or if they die.

You could argue both sides. Whether he was an average QB with a unbelievable team around him or a great QB.
I've heard both sides thoroughly and have watched all the games. Personally, i feel he was a good QB with a ridiculous, unheard of team around him. He was not well liked around Pittsburgh until well after he retired. Then he turned into "legend".
I think Ben's the better QB, but they were and are both great ones in their own way. People should just be proud to have them as a part of our team & history instead of arguing and throwing unnecessary stones.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts