Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #91
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I don't know why you are tearing down Terry to build Ben up. The poor guy worked within his team doing the best he could to get 4 superbowls and he never consistently had as good a defense as Ben's.

You failed to list the only season where the Steelers were first in scoring and yards, 1979. Terry was second in passing by less than 300 yards to Coryell's famous "Air Coryell" Chargers putting up 3655 yards. The rushing offense added 2603 yards also good for second best. The offense was first in total yards and points with 26 per game.

The only time in Steelers history they have led the NFL in total yards or points and they did it in the same year! The greatest Steelers offense ever! Ter-ry! Ter-ry! Ter-ry!
Ben has more talent and ability than Terry ever had - and that is saying a lot, because Terry was in fact one of the best ever.

Come on Ben . . . roll up that Rosetta Stone . . .it'll open your mind, maaaan . . .

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #92
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Hey now just because I used Terry to show that Ben does not have ALL the talent around him, make no mistake Terry Bradshaw was talented, it was just a different time and a different game, (thanks Goodell) Terry did what he had to to win, Chuck Noll was an original hard nose HC , who believed in hardnosed football. While Terry was erratic at times, made some bone head plays, and like I said leave you scratching your head, he would pull out some of the most beautiful deep passes to strike quick. We were a pounder of the rock as the numbers show , but Terry was able to hit enough of those deep beauties to keep most defenses honest. And Lloyd it was not intention to tear down Terry, I was making a point that we were a different kind of team then and while I enjoyed those years and would love to see them again I do not believe another team can duplicate that style with that kind of success. Bashers of Ben do not view his body of work with any kind of rationale when comparing Ben to Terry. For example Jack Lambert was my favorite Steeler (surprised a bunch with that statement I bet) But to compare him to a Timmons or Woodley would not be fair to any party. Lambert was undersized but had the heart of a warrior, yet I wonder if today if he could even make any team, while with Timmons and Woodley size in the 70s would or should of been dominant. Different eras.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #93
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

yeah, Bradshaw may've had a 1:1 ratio of TD to interceptions, and only had a 52% completion rate, but the game was completely different then
I believe Noll's philosophy was 'when you throw the ball, throw it to do-damage', not dunk-n-dink

if Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins & Larry Brown were able to legally hold pass-rushers, Bradshaw would've had more-time to throw the ball accurately

despite the game being much-quicker today, the game was more violent in those days, without fear of reprisals from the League
the hit Larry Cole put on Bradshaw in SB10 would result in instant death (and an extra draft-pick to the Cheatriots*) under Ms. Goodell, had it happened under her watch

after his tumultuous 1974 season (losing his job, and I believe his first marriage dissolved), Bradshaw never complained again, nor drew attention to himself
when Joe Turkey Jones spiked him 1976, Bradshaw kept his mouth shut (no 'near-death' comments were made), re-habbed himself, and helped Kruzek learn the offense

plus, Shanklin, Lewis, Swann & Stallworth ran through the defensive secondary for much of Bradshaw's career with their heads on a swivel, as the bump-n-run was prevalent, and clothes-line hits were common-place
with Bradshaw's rifle-arm, what kind-of numbers do you think those receivers would put-up in today's 'basketball-on-turf' mentality?

Bradshaw, in his prime, would be just as-comfortable and just as-dangerous playing in today's watered-down version of the NFL as Brady, either of Archie's boys, Rogers, Brees, etc.
to think otherwise is foolish
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #94
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Hey now just because I used Terry to show that Ben does not have ALL the talent around him, make no mistake Terry Bradshaw was talented, it was just a different time and a different game, (thanks Goodell) Terry did what he had to to win, Chuck Noll was an original hard nose HC , who believed in hardnosed football. While Terry was erratic at times, made some bone head plays, and like I said leave you scratching your head, he would pull out some of the most beautiful deep passes to strike quick. We were a pounder of the rock as the numbers show , but Terry was able to hit enough of those deep beauties to keep most defenses honest. And Lloyd it was not intention to tear down Terry, I was making a point that we were a different kind of team then and while I enjoyed those years and would love to see them again I do not believe another team can duplicate that style with that kind of success. Bashers of Ben do not view his body of work with any kind of rationale when comparing Ben to Terry. For example Jack Lambert was my favorite Steeler (surprised a bunch with that statement I bet) But to compare him to a Timmons or Woodley would not be fair to any party. Lambert was undersized but had the heart of a warrior, yet I wonder if today if he could even make any team, while with Timmons and Woodley size in the 70s would or should of been dominant. Different eras.
I think Lambert would have made the team. London Fletcher has the body of a trucker (apologies to present company if I have offended anyone) and he is one of the best lbs in the game. Sam Mills comes to mind as well. Farrior played at 218 and went to the Probowl in 08.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
yeah, Bradshaw may've had a 1:1 ratio of TD to interceptions, and only had a 52% completion rate, but the game was completely different then
I believe Noll's philosophy was 'when you throw the ball, throw it to do-damage', not dunk-n-dink

if Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins & Larry Brown were able to legally hold pass-rushers, Bradshaw would've had more-time to throw the ball accurately

despite the game being much-quicker today, the game was more violent in those days, without fear of reprisals from the League
the hit Larry Cole put on Bradshaw in SB10 would result in instant death (and an extra draft-pick to the Cheatriots*) under Ms. Goodell, had it happened under her watch

after his tumultuous 1974 season (losing his job, and I believe his first marriage dissolved), Bradshaw never complained again, nor drew attention to himself
when Joe Turkey Jones spiked him 1976, Bradshaw kept his mouth shut (no 'near-death' comments were made), re-habbed himself, and helped Kruzek learn the offense

plus, Shanklin, Lewis, Swann & Stallworth ran through the defensive secondary for much of Bradshaw's career with their heads on a swivel, as the bump-n-run was prevalent, and clothes-line hits were common-place
with Bradshaw's rifle-arm, what kind-of numbers do you think those receivers would put-up in today's 'basketball-on-turf' mentality?

Bradshaw, in his prime, would be just as-comfortable and just as-dangerous playing in today's watered-down version of the NFL as Brady, either of Archie's boys, Rogers, Brees, etc.
to think otherwise is foolish
like I said, different eras, no way to accurately compare Ben to Terry or vice versa. With Ben having the running game and the OL of Terry team I am sure his numbers would not ha luster of today in yards, TDs, and percentage.. While on the other hand Terry would not benefit from the protection of that quality of OL and the ability to run the ball. I do not hesitate to think that both could of interchanged and had a successful career.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #96
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben has more talent and ability than Terry ever had - and that is saying a lot, because Terry was in fact one of the best ever.

Come on Ben . . . roll up that Rosetta Stone . . .it'll open your mind, maaaan . . .
Dude this post is a joke...Brad coulda been a NFL running back...He ran a 4.5 40.... Ben's arm is nothing like Terry's was..... You obviously never watched Terry play....... Terry used to set up defenses in his prime.....Called his own plays.........Oh yea, in the big dance, Terry is 4-0 Ben 2-1.... Come on man....
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #97
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Dude this post is a joke...Brad coulda been a NFL running back...He ran a 4.5 40.... Ben's arm is nothing like Terry's was..... You obviously never watched Terry play....... Terry used to set up defenses in his prime.....Called his own plays.........Oh yea, in the big dance, Terry is 4-0 Ben 2-1.... Come on man....
"Dude"

"Come on Man"

Anything else you'd like to respond to 19 days from now?

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #98
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts

Terry- 4 Super Bowls with highly contributory play in 3 of them.
Ben - 2 Super bowls with highly contributory play in 1, mediocre in the other.

Terry - much better deep ball (distance and accuracy).

Terry - called his own plays within Noll's framework.
Ben - doesn't get the freedom Terry did, but if he did what would you expect?

Toughness - even and both are two of the toughest ever to play QB.

Rising to the occassion - edge to Terry, 4-0 in the SB, hard to ignore the significance of this. It's a big credential he has over Ben.

Sure Terry had the better supporting cast but his performances in XIII and XIV seals it.

Overall, Terry's the better QB. No myth there.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #99
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Terry- 4 Super Bowls with highly contributory play in 3 of them.
Ben - 2 Super bowls with highly contributory play in 1, mediocre in the other.

Terry - much better deep ball (distance and accuracy).

Terry - called his own plays within Noll's framework.
Ben - doesn't get the freedom Terry did, but if he did what would you expect?

Toughness - even and both are two of the toughest ever to play QB.

Rising to the occassion - edge to Terry, 4-0 in the SB, hard to ignore the significance of this. It's a big credential he has over Ben.

Sure Terry had the better supporting cast but his performances in XIII and XIV seals it.

Overall, Terry's the better QB. No myth there.
what he said
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #100
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

They always turn "more" into a legend either when they retire or if they die.

You could argue both sides. Whether he was an average QB with a unbelievable team around him or a great QB.
I've heard both sides thoroughly and have watched all the games. Personally, i feel he was a good QB with a ridiculous, unheard of team around him. He was not well liked around Pittsburgh until well after he retired. Then he turned into "legend".
I think Ben's the better QB, but they were and are both great ones in their own way. People should just be proud to have them as a part of our team & history instead of arguing and throwing unnecessary stones.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote