Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796
Default Re: Young Money Crew

That is about all Wallace has done this year is gain separation. To what end ( he has gained separation from the ball a few too many times too)? Have you watched Boldin and Smith lately? They have been playing as well as Wallace ever has. They fight for the ball too.

I was just excited as anybody to have Wallace. But I think the realization has set in, he is not playing quality, dependable football. At this point, I would take Boldin or Smith over Wallace. That might change next year, if he is even on the team, but right now I would dare say Wallace has been a detriment to the offense.He has easily been the most overrated player on this team.

Most of that is my opinion. But the fact is he has underperformed, as has most of the Steelers. As a result, they finished 8-8 and are watching football on TV instead of playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Anyone who thinks Torrey Smith or Anquan Boldin is better than Mike Wallace should be posting on the Ravens message board. Boldin is a possession receiver he is no where near Wallace's level (Boldin has caught 4 or less TDs in 5 of his seasons- how is he a red zone threat???). Torrey Smith is similar to Wallace- same height and build and is a speed guy just not as good (let me know when he catches more than 50 passes in a season until then stfu).

As far as Fitz (3rd overall pick), Andre Johnson (3rd overall pick), Calvin Johnson (2nd overall pick), Julio Jones (6th overall pick)- I hope the Steelers are never bad enough to get a receiver that good.

Please explain to me how the Steelers are going to get a better receiver than Wallace (who gets more separation from defenders than any other player in the league).
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I do not disagree that Wallace and Brown aren't great red zone threats but they can still get it done. Comparing these two receivers to the best in the NFL is unfair. In order to overachieve as much as they have I do not believe for a minute they aren't hard workers.

The Steelers are not going to be in a position to draft a top 5 wr. The best they could do is draft a first round TE for a red zone threat and that is going to happen this year.
I am not comparing these receivers to the best in the NFL because those like another poster said are first round picks. And, Burress in his prime was better than either brown or wallace and he was a top 10 pick.

The issue is the regression. It could be the new offensive system but I think its ego.

I am hoping 2012 was humbling for Brown and Sanders.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

I see a guy fighting for yards here after contact and making tough catches.

[YOUTUBE]RAZjZei6rwU[/YOUTUBE]

Mike Wallace is not the best receiver in the NFL. The Steelers can not afford to pay him much more than AB. Wallace is still the best option for the Steelers hands down. That is all.

Wallace in Superbowl XLV - 9 catches 89 yards 1 td. Yeah get rid of that guy- he is a bum who doesn't show up in big games.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Ive always thought of Hines Ward when I watch Antonio Brown play. He is solid and I also think he isnthe best WR we have. Even if Wallace does get resigned, its an area we might wanna draft at again.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
If anyone objectively watched these playoff games, you can plainly see that nearly every team in the tournament has better receivers than the Steelers.

Look at that wonderful highlight reel of Mike Wallace. Now show me the dazzling catches he has made with defenders all over him. Show me the ones where he is covered like a blanket and wrestles the ball from the defender. Show me the ones where he catches the ball with his hands in traffic and does a toe tap that would make a ballerina envious. How about all those crushing blocks he makes to help his teammates? Got any highlights like that?

I didn't think so.....

Face it. He's a good downfield threat. He's not a polished #1 receiver, and it's not even close.
I watched the games too and ALL of the teams threw the ball down the field regularly. No dink and dunk shit, they made the defenses pay when they tried to stack the box. We do not air it out, nor do we have the caliber of RBs on these teams. Don't compare apples to oranges.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,079 Times in 3,244 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I watched the games too and ALL of the teams threw the ball down the field regularly. No dink and dunk shit, they made the defenses pay when they tried to stack the box. We do not air it out, nor do we have the caliber of RBs on these teams. Don't compare apples to oranges.
I'm comparing Wallace to other top receivers in the league. What are you guys talking about.? He's asking for money on par with some of the best receivers in the game. What does it matter where you are drafted? After your rookie contract, you are compared to those you want to get paid like. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

As far as Antonio Brown. I like Brown. I agree he had an off year, but he was awesome when he was the featured receiver. Wallace was that guy this year. The other thing is that many of you who think Haley's system is great are defending these receivers as being talented, while they performed vastly better last year in a different offense. It's hard to make sense of all of it.

I hope some of you also notice that since Boldin went to the Ravens, they have been winning more, while their defense has been getting weaker. Since their D is worse, they have gotten better for a reason.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
I'm comparing Wallace to other top receivers in the league. What are you guys talking about.? He's asking for money on par with some of the best receivers in the game. What does it matter where you are drafted? After your rookie contract, you are compared to those you want to get paid like. That's not an opinion, it's fact.
I agree what you have said about Wallace and not be a great receiver when compared to others. But don't hate on him cause he wants money and here's why. Wallace knows this is his time and only time to get paid and paid big. He's in his 4 or 5 season and his time is running out that mean seem to early for him but the man is a burner and that's it, he takes the top of defenses and makes team gameplay for him. The thing is his speed won't last and won't be the same in year 8 and 9. So nows the time for him to make his money cause he won't be able to later on so I don't blame him for that.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

And for drafting a wr I either want Justin hunter 6-4 205 big tall guy very good hands, Aaron " the catch " Dobson, or quitton Patton someone I think would fit nicely in the Haley system
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:

As far as Antonio Brown. I like Brown. I agree he had an off year, but he was awesome when he was the featured receiver. Wallace was that guy this year. The other thing is that many of you who think Haley's system is great are defending these receivers as being talented, while they performed vastly better last year in a different offense. It's hard to make sense of all of it.

I hope some of you also notice that since Boldin went to the Ravens, they have been winning more, while their defense has been getting weaker. Since their D is worse, they have gotten better for a reason.
We're responding to your post! You stated how efficient the wrs were on the playoff teams and I gave you an explanation as to why they are. The 49ers, Falcons, Cheats nor the Ratbirds run a dink and dunk style of offense, they will throw the ball down the field in NY minute. Granted, each of these teams have better running games than we do except for the Falcons but they have a superior passing game. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez are better collectively that our crew, and Matt Ryan although soft delivers the ball to them in stride.

If Wallace was with the Falcons, he'd rack up the yards because they will chuck it up and down the field.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,079 Times in 3,244 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
We're responding to your post! You stated how efficient the wrs were on the playoff teams and I gave you an explanation as to why they are. The 49ers, Falcons, Cheats nor the Ratbirds run a dink and dunk style of offense, they will throw the ball down the field in NY minute. Granted, each of these teams have better running games than we do except for the Falcons but they have a superior passing game. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez are better collectively that our crew, and Matt Ryan although soft delivers the ball to them in stride.

If Wallace was with the Falcons, he'd rack up the yards because they will chuck it up and down the field.
The whole point is that he wouldn't start on the Falcons. The amazing thing is that I don't hate the guy. I just think he has some deficiencies. If you want to blame the offense he's in, that's your opinion.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote