Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #61
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
THIS is what a losing season results in. A bunch of people pointing fingers and blaming everything from the QB to the groundskeeper. God I can't wait for the off-season to end.
Well when our gm says things need to change then pointing fingers should be a topic of discussion. The steelers organization realizes we need change so why can't everyone else.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #62
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,079 Times in 3,742 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Well when our gm says things need to change then pointing fingers should be a topic of discussion. The steelers organization realizes we need change so why can't everyone else.
the FO realizes we need to change every year to stay competitive. Why should we have to put up with threads bashing the recent SB winning Steelers teams just to make a point about our 8-8 season?
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #63
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I'm definitely on the negative side of things right now, but this is a bit too much, the title itself yells "WRONG". So if the 2008 defense wasn't good in the playoffs then how did we beat the Chargers (who had a great offense that year) and the Ravens? With our offense?

Ben made a big play to win the SB, a play that wouldn't have mattered much if Harrison (defense) didn't get a 100 yard TD INT that prevented the Cardinals from scoring 7. The defense did ALL the heavy lifting that entire year from start to finish.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #64
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
the FO realizes we need to change every year to stay competitive. Why should we have to put up with threads bashing the recent SB winning Steelers teams just to make a point about our 8-8 season?
Most of those players on those 2 Super Bowl teams are gone or will be gone. Ward, Holmes, mendenhall, Parker, Starks, smith, kiesel, Hampton, farrior, foote, Harrison and many more. And Troy and Clark very very soon along with Ike.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #65
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I'm definitely on the negative side of things right now, but this is a bit too much, the title itself yells "WRONG". So if the 2008 defense wasn't good in the playoffs then how did we beat the Chargers (who had a great offense that year) and the Ravens? With our offense?

Ben made a big play to win the SB, a play that wouldn't have mattered much if Harrison (defense) didn't get a 100 yard TD INT that prevented the Cardinals from scoring 7.
Harrison play wasn't because of a great play call by dick or scheme but the opposite it was caused by a great play with very good instincts. He was supposed to rush that play but instead checked himself out of that and drop back to cover the slant. And that great player will be gone this year or next.
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #66
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Most of those players on those 2 Super Bowl teams are gone or will be gone. Ward, Holmes, mendenhall, Parker, Starks, smith, kiesel, Hampton, farrior, foote, Harrison and many more. And Troy and Clark very very soon along with Ike.
So we as fans of those teams, who enjoyed watching them play, are going to discredit what they did by claiming they were never good to begin with? I think "mediocre" was the term the original poster used.

This isn't an argument about our 8-8 team. This is about the history of Lebeau's coaching career.

I agree with you, there need to be changes, and there will be. But let's not start bending over for the Patriots early 2000's defense and the Ravens 2000 defense and put our teams sucking hind tit. These Steelers teams had great, championship quality defenses.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #67
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
So we as fans of those teams, who enjoyed watching them play, are going to discredit what they did by claiming they were never good to begin with? I think "mediocre" was the term the original poster used.

This isn't an argument about our 8-8 team. This is about the history of Lebeau's coaching career.

I agree with you, there need to be changes, and there will be. But let's not start bending over for the Patriots early 2000's defense and the Ravens 2000 defense and put our teams sucking hind tit. These Steelers teams had great, championship quality defenses.
Oh I'm not discrediting those players at all actually the complete opposite. Those players have made this defense so good.

Just a lot of people on here defend dick lebeau defense and scheme when in fact the players we had made the scheme work so well. People don't want to change the scheme at all because dick is a Legend but guys like Troy Harrison and the d line made his scheme so good. If lebeau was on the raiders he's defense wouldn't be number 1.

The players have made this defense so good and most of those player are gone or will be gone. For example those key guys Troy Harrison Woodley kiesel were all hurt this year and Ike and look at what the defense looked like when they were down def not a top 5 d
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #68
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Oh I'm not discrediting those players at all actually the complete opposite. Those players have made this defense so good.

Just a lot of people on here defend dick lebeau defense and scheme when in fact the players we had made the scheme work so well. People don't want to change the scheme at all because dick is a Legend but guys like Troy Harrison and the d line made his scheme so good. If lebeau was on the raiders he's defense wouldn't be number 1.

The players have made this defense so good and most of those player are gone or will be gone. For example those key guys Troy Harrison Woodley kiesel were all hurt this year and Ike and look at what the defense looked like when they were down def not a top 5 d
sorry, I read your posts out of context. I'm no x's and o's guy, so I can't argue the quality of his schemes at all. I would definitely like to see them play like Fansince72 said "more dynamic." But I'll leave that up to the experts.

What the original poster is trying to argue is that the history of these defenses (even 05, 04, 08, and 10, even 93-95) were not championship quality. It's his opinion and he's welcome to it. I just think he's bashing our history.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #69
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
sorry, I read your posts out of context. I'm no x's and o's guy, so I can't argue the quality of his schemes at all. I would definitely like to see them play like Fansince72 said "more dynamic." But I'll leave that up to the experts.

What the original poster is trying to argue is that the history of these defenses (even 05, 04, 08, and 10, even 93-95) were not championship quality. It's his opinion and he's welcome to it. I just think he's bashing our history.
"Dick Lebeau's defense is not a big-play defense! It is a dink and dunk defense!"

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I enjoy debate for the sake of debate, but what exactly is the point of the Lebeau bashing? His defense are not championship defenses, except of course the three AFC Championship defenses he headed. I don't get it.