Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #111
bde407
Water Boy

Member Number: 24746
Default Re: Fire Todd Haley!!!!!

Agreed.......! The Offensive game plan was there. With Big Ben on his way towards his best year yet before getting hurt was proof of that. While I think the Offense at times did seem a little, for lack of better words "boring" I don't think it was Haley's game plan that was "boring" Heath Miller had his most productive year ever! That was a result of Haley. I think Heath Found the endzone more they ever. I think the wideouts had trouble adjusting (with one missing an entire training camp). That resulted in no need to double team a wideout which did not allow for alot of one on one coverage. Heck I could cover Wallace if I could have two or 3 guys helping to cover Wallace deep and we know Wallace has yet to show any sign of being or becoming what Hines Ward was and did. Need that go to guy who will buckle up and fly into the middle of the field regardless. That opens the sidelines. I think the game planning was there. Just need time to break in the motor, like you have to do when you get a brand new car.....
bde407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #112
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts

bde

RE: Oline

Pretty much you can get a reall good idea what's going on in a game by watching the line play. Take some time to watch them instead of following the ball.

Thethinkking guy

RE: Stats,

I like stats too, and read your breakdown. Truly good stuff.

But tell me, do you have any stats that can indicate how many errent passes a QB makes when protections break down or receivers run bad routes?

It's easy to show a tendency in the numbers, but frankly, it does little to show indicaters that infuence the numbers, such as an interception thrown because a guard didn't make a cutoff block for the 17th time that season, and the QB was about to be separated from his mortal coil by a 380 pound human projectile?

Last edited by VaDave; 02-02-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Spelling error
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #113
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

VaDave, there are only a couple quarterbacks who hold the ball longer than Roethlisberger.

Even when the Steelers line was very solid in 2004 and 2005 Roethlisberger took a huge amount of sacks compared to the number of times he dropped back. The Steelers OL is actually middle of the pack in terms of Adjusted Sack Rate. (Steelers were 15th right behind Baltimore and they did pretty well last year.)

Kudos to Aaron Rodgers for having the second worst OL in football and still putting up 30 per game. 4th in scoring with the 2nd worst OL... now there is a QB who doesn't need excuses made for him.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #114
VaDave
Team President

Woody,

Think about who we had for receivers back then.....Ward, no speed demon, Cedrick Wilson, no speed demon, Nate Washington, a graduate of the Ike Taylor school of catching.... just saying....
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #115
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Woody,

Think about who we had for receivers back then.....Ward, no speed demon, Cedrick Wilson, no speed demon, Nate Washington, a graduate of the Ike Taylor school of catching.... just saying....
So your opinion is that Roethlisberger is known for his Kurt Warneresque quick release?

This is Ben's strength? Getting rid of the ball quickly?

My opinion is that Roethlisberger's style of play is to try to make something happen on every play regardless of how long that might take.

As I have posted several times... Brady, P Manning and Drew Brees all went to the Superbowl with groups of offensive linemen who were 5th round draft picks or worse.

Roethlisberger came into the league behind an OL of 1st and 2nd rounders which is also what he has now.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #116
VaDave
Team President

You have a point about the OL. Also, your observation about Ben is spot on, but I'm sure it has occurred to you that the reason Ben had to hang on to the ball forever, starting in his formative years, is because it took forever for his receivers to get open?

As that line deteriorated, he didn't have time to hold on to the ball for a millisecond, and last year was no different, as he was behind the scrubeanie lineman de jour. Two of the top picks were either on IR or missed significant time. Colon was a 4th round pic, Beachum a 7th, Legurski and Foster were a free agents. Hardly high pedigree material. And then Ben got hurt.....

Going forward, IF these kids stay healthy, it should be a great OL for a long time.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #117
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

Just because the colts, pats and saints have had lesser draft picks for their linemen doesn't mean they're worse. It's just a testament to the great coaching of those teams and their ability to stay healthy. Ben would have a great line too with less sacks if we didn't have fifty different o line combinations each year. I remember last season for a while it was weird for him to get sacked. He had a stretch when he was only getting sacked one time or even none in a game. Ben proved he is, or at least can be, one of the best from inside the pocket. Haley helped that happen. The injury bug just got to us, again.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacobo For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-13-2013), VaDave (03-15-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #118
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,114 Times in 3,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Just because the colts, pats and saints have had lesser draft picks for their linemen doesn't mean they're worse. It's just a testament to the great coaching of those teams and their ability to stay healthy. Ben would have a great line too with less sacks if we didn't have fifty different o line combinations each year. I remember last season for a while it was weird for him to get sacked. He had a stretch when he was only getting sacked one time or even none in a game. Ben proved he is, or at least can be, one of the best from inside the pocket. Haley helped that happen. The injury bug just got to us, again.
then after the OL started dealing with injuries, other defenses seemed to live in our backfield. Teams were having no trouble pushing us around in the trenches towards the end of the season.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
VaDave (03-15-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #119
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Haley's short passing game is the reason Roethlisberger started taking less sacks. Haley's modus operandi was to minimize hits Roethlisberger was taking and control the clock. Tomlin made this the prime focus of the offense.

Wake up. Individually the OL of the Saints, Pats and Broncos aren't very good. They play together well as a unit though.

Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs would start for the Steelers both at guard.

Ryan Clady would start for the Steelers at LT.

I'm not sure that any of the Pats OL could crack the Steelers starting lineup- maybe Solder.

People need to realise that the elite quarterbacks cover for their OL a TON with quick reads, audibles to elude blitzes and taking what is available.

The only elite qb who holds the ball longer than Roethlisberger is A Rodgers... and he gets sacked constantly. It isn't a coincidence.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #120
VaDave
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Haley's short passing game is the reason Roethlisberger started taking less sacks. Haley's modus operandi was to minimize hits Roethlisberger was taking and control the clock. Tomlin made this the prime focus of the offense.

Wake up. Individually the OL of the Saints, Pats and Broncos aren't very good. They play together well as a unit though.

Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs would start for the Steelers both at guard.

Ryan Clady would start for the Steelers at LT.

I'm not sure that any of the Pats OL could crack the Steelers starting lineup- maybe Solder.

People need to realise that the elite quarterbacks cover for their OL a TON with quick reads, audibles to elude blitzes and taking what is available.

The only elite qb who holds the ball longer than Roethlisberger is A Rodgers... and he gets sacked constantly. It isn't a coincidence.
Logan Mankins is no slouch.