Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #21
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Re: Ravens front office overtakes Steelers

D final answer
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,923 Times in 990 Posts
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
The Steelers being salary cap strapped has really prevented them from the free agent game. Even mid level free agents. Ozzie Newsom has really done an excellent job in finding the right Free agents.

Vonta Leach FB
Anquan Boldin WR
Jacoby Jones WR/KR
Matt Birk C
Bryant McKinnie LT
Ma'ake Kemoeatu DT
Corey Graham CB
Bernard Pollard S

All have contributed big time to the season and the playoff run. Most importantly all have stayed healthy.

Hopefuly when the Steelers are a little less up against the cap they too can enjoy this kind of FA success.

I can't say the Ravens have drafted better then us though as none of their last 3 years number one picks have become regular starters
Courtney Upshaw
Jimmy Smith
Sergio Kindle

and before that Michael Oher has become a RT and not the LT they envisioned.

The Steelers in that time haven't lit it up but Decastro, Pouncey, and Hood are starters with more then likely two being perenial all pros and Cam Heyward is the heir to Keisel's starting spot.
I think you hit the nail right on the head.
They're more agressive in their pursuit of free agents who can really step in and contribute.
Ozzie's got a great record with those moves.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,515 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeust View Post
1 24 (24) DeCastro, David G
2 24 (56) Adams, Mike OT
3 23 (86) Spence, Sean LB
4 14 (109) Ta'amu, Alameda DT
5 24 (159) Rainey, Chris RB
7 24 (231) Clemons, Toney WR
7 33 (240) Paulson, David TE
7 39 (246) Frederick, Terrence CB
7 41 (248) Beachum, Kelvin T

Obviously still too early to tell, but..

Two starting OL's with a solid any position OL backup (beachum)
Two possible starters on D with Spence and Ta'amu.
And a Solid backup TE that might progress into a starter.

I'd say its way to early to call bust and in fact looks like it could be pretty good.

Personally I'm extremely excited to see what Spence brings when/if healthy.
I agree 100%.

The past three drafts have been very, very good. Lots of contributors already, with the potential of 10-11 starters in the bunch... with 4-5 Pro-Bowl level players.

The FUTURE is very bright for the Steelers.

CONTRIBUTING ALREADY:
2012: DD, Adams, Beachum, Paulson... even Rainey & Ta'amu
2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, Batch
2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Sylvester, Dwyer, AB

FUTURE STARTERS (Pro-Bowler):
DD, Adams, Beachum, Spence, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, AB...
...with Worilds, Carter, Sanders, & Dwyer being "possible" starters.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I agree 100%.

The past three drafts have been very, very good. Lots of contributors already, with the potential of 10-11 starters in the bunch... with 4-5 Pro-Bowl level players.

The FUTURE is very bright for the Steelers.

CONTRIBUTING ALREADY:
2012: DD, Adams, Beachum, Paulson... even Rainey & Ta'amu
2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, Batch
2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Sylvester, Dwyer, AB

FUTURE STARTERS (Pro-Bowler):
DD, Adams, Beachum, Spence, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, AB...
...with Worilds, Carter, Sanders, & Dwyer being "possible" starters.
I am very optimistic about DD, Adams and Beachum. What do you see in Spence that make you project him as a pro bowler? I sure hope you're right.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,515 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
I am very optimistic about DD, Adams and Beachum. What do you see in Spence that make you project him as a pro bowler? I sure hope you're right.
Spence reminds me a lot fo Hines Ward (but playing ILB).

Not the fastest; not the most athletic; not the biggest... but, he just "makes the play."

Spence rarely takes a wrong step. His angles of pursuit are excellent. Thus, he does not need to be the fastest, because he's already a step ahead of everyone else. (If one takes a step in the wrong direction, then one is already two steps behind.)

If you watch him, when the ball is snapped, he is almost already moving towards the tackle; he diagnoses that fast. His smarts set him apart. And, again, a step in the right direction puts him ahead of everyone else.

He is like Zach Thomas... only way better in pass coverage... and, well, just better in a lot of ways.

I had him pegged as a R3 steal... and never figured that the Steelers would take a shot at him (I figured that they'd go after a "big" ILB). I was very pleased when he was drafted. I see a career similar to that of London Fletcher (only with Pro-Bowl recognition... and, of course, Lombardis).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,479 Posts

Ozzie Newsome has been doing a great job there for years. Look at the collection of talent and how they manage to draft and handle the cap.

Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Kruger, Ray Rice, Boldin, Vontae Leach, .....and the line in front of Flacco of Mckinnie, Oher, Yanda, Birk.

I would say the Ravens front office has been out doing the Steelers for some time now. Until the past 2 seasons the Steelers have been out performing the Rats on the field though. Stuff happens.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Spence reminds me a lot fo Hines Ward (but playing ILB).

Not the fastest; not the most athletic; not the biggest... but, he just "makes the play."

Spence rarely takes a wrong step. His angles of pursuit are excellent. Thus, he does not need to be the fastest, because he's already a step ahead of everyone else. (If one takes a step in the wrong direction, then one is already two steps behind.)

If you watch him, when the ball is snapped, he is almost already moving towards the tackle; he diagnoses that fast. His smarts set him apart. And, again, a step in the right direction puts him ahead of everyone else.

He is like Zach Thomas... only way better in pass coverage... and, well, just better in a lot of ways.

I had him pegged as a R3 steal... and never figured that the Steelers would take a shot at him (I figured that they'd go after a "big" ILB). I was very pleased when he was drafted. I see a career similar to that of London Fletcher (only with Pro-Bowl recognition... and, of course, Lombardis).
Spence has decent speed and quickness. He just lacks the height and size. With his injury I think there is some question if he comes back to 100%.

The thing that I find amusing is that some have Arthur Brown slated for the Steelers, but he is basically a similar player as Spence. If Spence can get healthy, he should pair up with Timmons inside.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Ozzie Newsome has been doing a great job there for years. Look at the collection of talent and how they manage to draft and handle the cap.

Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Kruger, Ray Rice, Boldin, Vontae Leach, .....and the line in front of Flacco of Mckinnie, Oher, Yanda, Birk.

I would say the Ravens front office has been out doing the Steelers for some time now. Until the past 2 seasons the Steelers have been out performing the Rats on the field though. Stuff happens.
Suggs is the most overrated player in the NFL. Allen, Ware or JPP got robbed of the DPOY last season. Suggs got all his sacks in a few games and most of the time he was shut out in 2011. Suggs got 9 sacks in 3 games and he got 5 sacks in 13 games. Starks OWNS Suggs. Suggs got 2 sacks this season in 8 starts.

Boldin is grossly overrated as well. Yes, he is having an excellent playoffs. He is basically a small tight end with good hands. He ran a 4.7 40 at his combine and he hasn't gotten faster. Tired of hearing how amazing this possession receiver who has 5 seasons with fewer than 5 touchdowns is.

Kruger is overrated also. Let's wait until he has a 10 sack season before we heap praise on him. Harrison had his 4 year career total in one season.

Lewis, Reed and Ngata are the core of that team. Leach and Rice are an awesome backfield. Flacco is clutch. I don't notice OL unless they screw up but the Ravens line isn't special.

This next part is completely unrelated to Gonzo- I don't disagree that the Ravens have a good front office but some of the other posts about the Ravens on this forum are unbelievably sycophantic.

I am getting nauseated by the fairweather Steelers fans praising our rival. The Steelers are a better team through and through. Better QB, better receivers and tight end, better d-line, better linebackers and better coaches. The Ravens have a better backfield and better o-line (not for long). The secondary is a tie- Corey Graham had a helluva season that was a nice pickup.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
. I don't notice OL unless they screw up but the Ravens line isn't special.

I beg to differ.

- McKinnie at LT is better than Starks and we should have gone after him.
-Oher at the other OT is a great pass protector and a mauler in run game.
-Osemele was a great draft pick- a guy that can play inside or RT
-Birk is a solid veteran, former pro bowler and centers that line well
-Yanda is reliable at guard and somebody we could have drafted in 2007 instead of Matt Spaeth.

If you look at how they protected vs the Broncos and Patriots, you would see they are a very good O line and maybe a top 10 unit.