Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #101
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Again let me say I'm a big fan of lebeau and wouldn't trade him for anyone else, but let me pose a question

In there prime, would smith, kiesel, Hampton, Harrison, farrior, Woodley, timmons, Troy, Ike, Clark be pro bowl caliber players on any other team that ran a 3-4?

And would lebeau defenses be just as successful meaning top 5 year in year out on any other team?

What I'm trying to get at is that our defense has been so reluctant to have all those great players under lebeau and without those guys we wouldn't be top 5 every year because of lebeaus scheme. It has a lot to do with the players you have. It's just some people well most don't want to blame anything on lebeau when in reality there should be some blame. Because as everyone saw when Harrison, Woodley, Troy, Ike were hurt we didn't look like a great defense.

So what are your thoughts to the 2 questions?
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #102
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,205 Times in 3,462 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post

In there prime, would smith, kiesel, Hampton, Harrison, farrior, Woodley, timmons, Troy, Ike, Clark be pro bowl caliber players on any other team that ran a 3-4?

And would lebeau defenses be just as successful meaning top 5 year in year out on any other team?
My answer would be, like all good coaches, if Lebeau has the pieces then his schemes will work.

Would these Steeler players be pro-bowl caliber on other 3-4 teams? I think Troy would have been on any team. Same for Harrison in his prime (unblockable). Final answer: same as the second question, all the pieces fit and make the defense.

I do know that Lebeau has put together top ranked defenses that helped to beat top ranked offenses consistantly throughout the regular seasons, playoff games, and 2 Super Bowls.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #103
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Again let me say I'm a big fan of lebeau and wouldn't trade him for anyone else, but let me pose a question

Only 3 on that list were pro bowlers and I think they would have been on any other 3-4. TP and JH on any defense and CH on any 3-4.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #104
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Only 3 on that list were pro bowlers and I think they would have been on any other 3-4. TP and JH on any defense and CH on any 3-4.
Pro bowl caliber doesnt mean actuallt got voted
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #105
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

To answer WokeUp's question I think that some of those players would probably be more likely to go to the Pro Bowl with another team. 3-4 DE don't usally get to the Pro Bowl they occupy blockers. If Smith and Keisel played 4-3 DE they would have a better shot at the Pro Bowl. Smith made it one year.

Also, LeBeau's conservative "tackle the catch" scheme (which I think is largely Tomlin's MO from his Tampa 2 days) does not put cornerbacks in a position to intercept many passes. Pro Bowls are popularity and stats contests. Clark and Taylor would not get to many regardless of which team they played for but they might have a better shot in a more aggressive defense.

Side note: "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook,” said Dungy during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. “That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little."

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #106
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts

Actually, the catch the ball part goes back to when LeBeau was at Philidelphia under DIck Vermiel and he hasn't changed it one iota since.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #107
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Pro bowl caliber doesnt mean actuallt got voted
True, but as homers we could say that about any player. Like Ike for example. As long as he has bricks for hands, he is not truly pro bowl caliber. Btw, I don't see him getting better at catching the ball at this stage of his career.

Here is all we need for a championship defense IMO:

Above Average players who fit system 50% (e.g., LM, IT)
Average players who fit system 25% (e.g. ZH, CA)
Playmaker/ Pro Bowler players (e.g., TP, JH)

I mean the Chiefs have 5 pro bowlers and 2 wins. We don't need a star-studded defense. We obviously need more of the Above Average players and seem to have a couple vacancies in the Playmaker roles due to age and injury.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-23-2013)