Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #111
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

I am a big Bradshaw fan and will be til I die. With that said Terry had the BEST O-line in the game, the running game that goes with such a line and while the defense may not have ranked consistently in the top five they were consistently either tops or near the top in Turnovers. Terry threw nearly as many Interceptions as TDs. He had more HOFamers around him than Ben will ever have. Comparing Apples to Oranges gentlemen. I watched both and the only thing Terry has on Ben is the deep ball. Sorry not going to change my mind by downplaying Bens play or his superior defense.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #112
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I am a big Bradshaw fan and will be til I die. With that said Terry had the BEST O-line in the game, the running game that goes with such a line and while the defense may not have ranked consistently in the top five they were consistently either tops or near the top in Turnovers. Terry threw nearly as many Interceptions as TDs. He had more HOFamers around him than Ben will ever have. Comparing Apples to Oranges gentlemen. I watched both and the only thing Terry has on Ben is the deep ball. Sorry not going to change my mind by downplaying Bens play or his superior defense.
Average passer ratings by decade:

1940s47.9
1950s59.0
1960s69.4
1970s65.1
1980s74.4
1990s77.2
2000s80.5

As you can see, the 1970s were a bad time to be a quarterback. Comparing one individual vs another player from a different era does not work.

My personal criteria for determining a quarterback's worth is their team's offensive production. The list of quarterbacks who have led a number one scoring offense is a very impressive one: Montana, Marino, P Manning, Young, Rodgers, Brees, Favre, Baugh, Graham, Staubach, Fouts, Elway, Starr etc... and Bradshaw.

Not every quarterback who has led the best offense in the league is an all-time great but every all-time great has led the best offense in the league at one point or another.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #113
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

On a side note: my favourite quarterback of all time is Steve Young and he led the league's number one offense for four years in a row! Attaboy Steve!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #114
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,788 Times in 4,306 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
On a side note: my favourite quarterback of all time is Steve Young and he led the league's number one offense for four years in a row! Attaboy Steve!
Steve Young was good, but I'd still take Steve McNair. Don't laugh.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #115
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Steve Young was good, but I'd still take Steve McNair. Don't laugh.
McNair was a decent quarterback. I find your unique choice of quarterback refreshing. I can guarantee you did not get to that way of thinking by watching NFL Network or ESPN. You aren't an Alcorn State alumnus by any chance are you?

I liked Young not because of his scrambling but because of his competitiveness. I remember a play where he lost his helmet avoiding a sack and still ran ahead for more yards (like a 5 yard gain or something) and dove face first no helmet to get additional yardage. Not bad for a smallish Mormon lawyer.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #116
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote:
Bradshaw could not spell CAT if they spotted him the C and the A. Hanratty and Gillom were both touted as better QBs then TB. Just a couple of he sentiments of the time. Terry did not put up outstanding numbers, his defense was arguably the greatest ever, his OL was loaded with HOFers, and his RBs and Wrs were some of the all time best, and he received more than his share of criticism. Terry was not truly loved til he was gone and then his career was appreciated by the media and the fans. I still love to see video when he threw the long ball,(the strongest part of his game IMO) it was a thing of beauty.

HOF OL??? He had one player that made it, Webster. While they developed in to a very productive unit, the last time I checked Pinney, Mullins, Davis, Clack, Kolb, Gravelle, and Courson, are not exatly locks for entry.

Terry did get a bad wrap because back in those days when you started out the season, it was all about getting your running attack going. You couldn't win in the NFL without it. His completion percentage early in his career was not good , and too many of his completions went to the wrong team.

Keep in mind, he was playing on a team that had only sniffed a playoff twice in 40 years of observation. Bradshaw was a high draft pick that was expected to make an impact, much like Joe Greene did the year before.

What they got was a loose cannon of a QB that needed seasoning. Well, Noll salted the crap out of Terry until he could count on him. Then he salted him some more....... No wonder he had bad recollections. He was practically pickled by the time Superbowl 9 came along.

As for exceptance in the Burgh, keep in mind, this was a town that never appreciated Roberto Clemente, who was an altime great, without a doubt the best player I've ever seen in over 55 years of following sports.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #117
VaDave
Team Owner

IMO, Terry's best body of work were the 4 fourth quarters of each of his SuperBowl wins. Go back and watch them. Only the 4th quarters. His performannce there was his ticket to the Hall.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #118
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,788 Times in 4,306 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
McNair was a decent quarterback. I find your unique choice of quarterback refreshing. I can guarantee you did not get to that way of thinking by watching NFL Network or ESPN. You aren't an Alcorn State alumnus by any chance are you?

I liked Young not because of his scrambling but because of his competitiveness. I remember a play where he lost his helmet avoiding a sack and still ran ahead for more yards (like a 5 yard gain or something) and dove face first no helmet to get additional yardage. Not bad for a smallish Mormon lawyer.
I always thought McNair could make any throw, and he like Steve Young was always putting his own body on the line. I'm sure my opinion of him was affected by seeing him twice a year back when Tennessee was in our division.

Come to think of it they are both like Roethlisberger in that they could do a lot after a play broke down.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #119
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
The Raiders probably had a better O-line than the Steelers in the 70's-80's...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #120
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
The Raiders probably had a better O-line than the Steelers in the 70's-80's...
Debatable. Upshaw and Shell with Otto and Dalby @ center were formiddable no doubt. Iit was the other two on the right side that typically not quite as good. The way our lines worked was quite a bit different .

Raiders ran the power plays, and sweeps, while we ran the quick traps and counters. Our line play was much more intricate and timing was critical more so that the Raiders.

One other point of consideration was that the Raiders were a right handed running to take advantage of Upshaw pulling ability. The Steelers were left handed to take advantage of Gerry Mullins pulling.

What made us dangerous was with Davis @ LG, we could run the the traps to both sides of center, and flip flop the counters as well, so the defense couldn't stack one side or the other.

Speaking of linemen, two of my alltime favorite Steeler plays:

The first is Franco's rushing TD in SuperBowl 9 off of Mullin's cut block outside the left tackle box with a very difficult angle t land. Very impressive considering Mullins was playing RG.

The second his Harris TD run up the gut in SperBowl 13. You might remember is at the one where the ref got in the way? Check out RT Ray Pinney here, as he pulls out a head of Franco. The reason the Ref got in the way was he was about to get steamrolled by Pinney and was ducking.

As for Cliff Harris or Charlie Waters ( can remember which), even if that ref wasn't "In the Way" as he still moans about it , Pinney would have launched him into next Tuesday. Finally, notice just how fast Pinney got to the B gap ahead of a sprinting Franco.
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2013)