Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #51
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

Matt Hasselbeck put up 300 yards passing and helped put the Titans in position for a game winning field goal with Ike,Lewis and Allen in the game. I'm not disputing the fact that injuries plagued the team or Lewis is a good CB,what I am saying is that 8 million is a huge amount of money for a CB that doesn't have 8 million talent(not yet). Would I like to keep Lewis? Sure but go back and look at player stats, turnover are a massive part of today's NFL and the leading CB in INTs is Allen 2,then Ike with a grand total of 1 on the entire year.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,014 Times in 7,605 Posts
My Mood: Dead

As I mentioned earlier in the season (in this thread actually):
YES.

He is on the cusp of being a very special CB... and he will & should (IMO) be paid accordingly.

Why spend draft pick after draft pick trying to "find" the guy, when the guy is right there. Sign him & Cortez Allen... and the Steelers would not need to draft a CB for ten years.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #53
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
As I mentioned earlier in the season (in this thread actually):
YES.

He is on the cusp of being a very special CB... and he will & should (IMO) be paid accordingly.

Why spend draft pick after draft pick trying to "find" the guy, when the guy is right there. Sign him & Cortez Allen... and the Steelers would not need to draft a CB for ten years.
I very much agree, especially with the way the draft can be a win or lose, we know we've got players who have potential to excel at the position.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

If he really is asking for just a 5 year / 35 million deal, we should sign him tomorrow. That's fairly cheap and if he continues to work with Carnell, then the only way he can go is up. He flashed his potential often this year and if he learns how to catch and bring down INTs, then he's a perennial pro-bowl CB and for 7 million / year, that's a good deal.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #55
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Lewis is an up and coming corner and the stillers should pay him accordingly. He should not be allowed to leave as Ike is on his way out. These guys are hard to come by and the stillers need to make him a priority and I believe they will......jus saying
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #56
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If he really is asking for just a 5 year / 35 million deal, we should sign him tomorrow. That's fairly cheap and if he continues to work with Carnell, then the only way he can go is up. He flashed his potential often this year and if he learns how to catch and bring down INTs, then he's a perennial pro-bowl CB and for 7 million / year, that's a good deal.
I agree....the guy is definitely worth givin a chance..

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

$7 mil a year is quite a bit for someone who's only had a few good games as a #2 CB. I would sign him because we have a good DB coach and he got better as the season went on. He also showed that he can play big when it matters the most, like he did vs Baltimore. I agree with signing him because of that and because we need to use the draft to fill A LOT of other spots, but it's not like he's a shut down corner who should be guaranteed a contract. Let's hope he becomes one though.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,014 Times in 7,605 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If I was willing to pay him $8 million per year, I'd easily pay him $7 million per year.

So, YES to that deal.

(Psst. Don't tell Keenan that I would have paid him $40 million... let him take the $35 million.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #59
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Wink Re: Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

Has everyone gone retarded? Saying Lewis should get 8 million a season? The same guy who has spent a majority of his rookie contract on the bench? The same guy who wasnt guaranteed to make the roster prior to this season? The same guy who couldn't inseat William Gay? lol. A bad season brings about lots of delusionals. I'd consider 4 million.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #60
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Has everyone gone retarded? Saying Lewis should get 8 million a season? The same guy who has spent a majority of his rookie contract on the bench? The same guy who wasnt guaranteed to make the roster prior to this season? The same guy who couldn't inseat William Gay? lol. A bad season brings about lots of delusionals. I'd consider 4 million.
Leading the league in pass defenses is a pretty good place to start. To your argument that he couldn't 'unseat Gay', well, no young guys get to play on defense, remember? This is LeBeau's system and, until the players decide it's time to stop playing, they're going to keep playing. It's a ridiculous and harmful ideology, but it's the one that Dick has implemented over recent years and it's part of the reason why we're in cap hell right now.

They progress over their initial three years, start their fourth year and play very, very well and then get lucrative deals. So, we're always behind the eight-ball when it comes to players starting and insist that the older guys play, despite the fact that they're often unproductive. In Keisel's case, they're made defensive Captain.

So, yes, Lewis was probably developing and could have been this good two years ago if given the chance but due to some misguided and flat out stupid sense of loyalty, he didn't get to play. Maybe we need some new life in our defensive staff and not hire Butler who is going to implement the exact same system and ideology that Dick has right now.

Rants over.

So, this does tie into Lewis because frankly, he played like a 7 million / year CB last year and deserves to be paid accordingly. Now, he just needs to work on his hands.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote