Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

I think this has been a long time coming.

Some of you may be new steelers fans (Bettis Era) but if you go back to the 90's when Free Agency started, the Steelers were always a roster that was attacked by other teams. We would lose starter after starter and keep winning.

Why?

We always had someone as productive waiting in the wings.

We loose Thomas Everett and Aaron Jones and we replace them with Carnell Lake and Darren Perry

DJ Johnson gets replaced by Willie Williams

Hardy Nickerson gets replaced by Levon Kirkland

Gerald Williams by Joel Steed

Yancey Thigpen by Charles Johnson

Eric Green by Mark Bruener

I can go on and on and on with this.

The issue now is we are NOT replacing these players we cut or allow to walk via free agency with as good or better replacements.

So, based on that, the Steelers held these players like Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Hampton, Starks way too long. No one groomed to replace them so as their skills decline so does production. The fact we were the #1 defense means NOTHING...again...NOTHING...one more time...NOTHING!!!!

Its time to let the young guys play, to include rookies and let them take their lumps. As long as we have Big Ben, get a decent RB which we can draft and a solid OL, we can compete and in 2014 we will be better for it.

Trade down, accumulate picks, develop them ON THE FIELD and look for another 3-5 years of a championship run starting 2014.

This group has had a nice 10 year run, I'm fine with a 1-2 year fall from grace (like 98-00) to reload for another 10-12 year run.

Last edited by Steelers5895; 01-20-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,619 Times in 917 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Sorry nobody replyed to this post.

As for replacements, you are going to get your wish this off season. I read anywhere from 15 to as many as 20 new faces for 2013. Not all of these are starters mind you, but it's going to be a huge influx personel.

To you point, some of these guys have been burried on the depth chart. Worilds is a classic example. I grant you that he doesn't have the up the field skills of Woodley ( of which we get to see maybe 3 or 4 times a game), overall, grades out better. Cortez Allen finally got a chance to shine and is going to be a good player for us. McCLendon is going to be a fine replacement for Hampton. So we have a few in the breech.

I wish I could say Hood has been a decent replacement for Smith, but he's been very disappointing, and Hayward has been very inconsitent, so it's hard to figure out what we got there when Hamp and Kies hang 'em up.

How do you replace a Troy Palamalu?? Well, we did. It took us about 4 games to get it down, but after the schock wore off, they played fairly well as a unit. The only really glaring deficiency in the secondary is I've never seen a collection of gifted athletes so skilled at fighting off a football like it's got the plague. They all must be severely nearsighted, with hands the size of quarters, and no thumbs.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

How does having a number one defense mean nothing? One could argue that the replacements are already being groomed and are in place. There is young talent and depth at every position on this defense. Only time will tell if they work out.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Nice post, except for insisting that a #1 Defense means nothing. And like it's been said, I'd like to see what the replacement's can do before I say we're going into rebuilding mode.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Defense was #1 statically. But not #1 as the best in the league. They did not create TO. Especially when need most, late in the game. Not to mention how many games were lost in the 4th qtr. this year. So there is room for improvement. Big time.
I do agree, it is time to purge out the old, and mix in the young. Even if it takes them 1 or 2 years to get back on top. The Ravens did it a few years back. The Pats# did it too. Look where they are.
By the way, I am in the middle about the defense. Yes, it is very good, at the same time need improvement.
As does the offense, maybe moreso than the defense.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Max Starks is 30, the best tackle on the team, cheap, and doesn't get hurt. How exactly are we being crippled by him?

Only get rid of Taylor if Lewis signs, otherwise we're stuck with an unproven Brown and Allen (though Allen looked good in December).

Agree on the DL, not on Harrison. If he's healthy, ask him to restructure.

What about Larry Foote? He led the team in tackles, I know, 10 yards downfield.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (01-24-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Trade down, accumulate picks, develop them ON THE FIELD and look for another 3-5 years of a championship run starting 2014.

This group has had a nice 10 year run, I'm fine with a 1-2 year fall from grace (like 98-00) to reload for another 10-12 year run.
Franchise QBs don't go on trees. If we're going to blow it up and start over after wasting two seasons, may as well trade Ben while his value is high.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Franchise QBs don't go on trees. If we're going to blow it up and start over after wasting two seasons, may as well trade Ben while his value is high.
that's a great point. as long as we have Ben we have a chance to get to the SB. This team is going to do what gives them the best chance to compete each year as long as we have him.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,331 Times in 3,998 Posts

Don't blow up the offense, just draft well and let our young guys play. Enough with the favoritism and sense of loyalty to guys that aren't producing. Reinvigorate our defensive line with the youth we already have on our roster, and draft someone like Jordan to play ROLB. Take that, then draft a Safety to learn behind Troy for a year and an ILB that can play immediately to let Timmons do what he does best - blow the offensive line up.

We don't need to blow up our roster, we just have to use what we already have on our roster more effectively.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
So, based on that, the Steelers held these players like Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Hampton, Starks way too long. No one groomed to replace them so as their skills decline so does production. The fact we were the #1 defense means NOTHING...again...NOTHING...one more time...NOTHING!!!!
Great post, except for this rubbish you have been trying to propogate around here the last few days.

Having the #1 defense meant that we finished 8-8, instead of much worse. Not sure how having a defense ranked #1 in yards means nothing to you. For the opposing team to score points-- they need to make yardage.

Other than this point of contention, good observations. I remember the angst back in the 90's when some of the names you mentioned were being aged out of the lineup.

The uncertainty is what hurts. When a proven vet steps down-- you have to have some faith in the guy behind him on the depth chart in order to move on.

Last edited by Riddle_Of_Steel; 01-23-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote