Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,664
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 8,707
Thanked 7,370 Times in 3,012 Posts
My Mood: Goofy
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I think this has been a long time coming.

Some of you may be new steelers fans (Bettis Era) but if you go back to the 90's when Free Agency started, the Steelers were always a roster that was attacked by other teams. We would lose starter after starter and keep winning.

Why?

We always had someone as productive waiting in the wings.

We loose Thomas Everett and Aaron Jones and we replace them with Carnell Lake and Darren Perry

DJ Johnson gets replaced by Willie Williams

Hardy Nickerson gets replaced by Levon Kirkland

Gerald Williams by Joel Steed

Yancey Thigpen by Charles Johnson

Eric Green by Mark Bruener

I can go on and on and on with this.

The issue now is we are NOT replacing these players we cut or allow to walk via free agency with as good or better replacements.

So, based on that, the Steelers held these players like Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Hampton, Starks way too long. No one groomed to replace them so as their skills decline so does production. The fact we were the #1 defense means NOTHING...again...NOTHING...one more time...NOTHING!!!!

Its time to let the young guys play, to include rookies and let them take their lumps. As long as we have Big Ben, get a decent RB which we can draft and a solid OL, we can compete and in 2014 we will be better for it.

Trade down, accumulate picks, develop them ON THE FIELD and look for another 3-5 years of a championship run starting 2014.

This group has had a nice 10 year run, I'm fine with a 1-2 year fall from grace (like 98-00) to reload for another 10-12 year run.
You're right. They did tend to let a lot of players go, and they did replace them with young draft talent. There is one glaring difference between those 90's teams and this current team. They didn't win any Super Bowls. When you win Super Bowls, you try to keep as many productive players as you can from that group until the run is over. Having a QB that they believe they can win with has probably made them keep some players they would probably have let go 10 years ago. I think it's a common problem when teams win and win big. It's a nice problem to have.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-02-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,837
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,449
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
You're right. They did tend to let a lot of players go, and they did replace them with young draft talent. There is one glaring difference between those 90's teams and this current team. They didn't win any Super Bowls. When you win Super Bowls, you try to keep as many productive players as you can from that group until the run is over. Having a QB that they believe they can win with has probably made them keep some players they would probably have let go 10 years ago. I think it's a common problem when teams win and win big. It's a nice problem to have.
Very well said. It's one thing to try and improve every year, but why would you let go ppl who were helping you get to the SB?
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,282
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 292 Times in 179 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I think this has been a long time coming.

Some of you may be new steelers fans (Bettis Era) but if you go back to the 90's when Free Agency started, the Steelers were always a roster that was attacked by other teams. We would lose starter after starter and keep winning.

Why?

We always had someone as productive waiting in the wings.

We loose Thomas Everett and Aaron Jones and we replace them with Carnell Lake and Darren Perry

DJ Johnson gets replaced by Willie Williams

Hardy Nickerson gets replaced by Levon Kirkland

Gerald Williams by Joel Steed

Yancey Thigpen by Charles Johnson

Eric Green by Mark Bruener

I can go on and on and on with this.

The issue now is we are NOT replacing these players we cut or allow to walk via free agency with as good or better replacements.

So, based on that, the Steelers held these players like Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Hampton, Starks way too long. No one groomed to replace them so as their skills decline so does production. The fact we were the #1 defense means NOTHING...again...NOTHING...one more time...NOTHING!!!!

Its time to let the young guys play, to include rookies and let them take their lumps. As long as we have Big Ben, get a decent RB which we can draft and a solid OL, we can compete and in 2014 we will be better for it.

Trade down, accumulate picks, develop them ON THE FIELD and look for another 3-5 years of a championship run starting 2014.

This group has had a nice 10 year run, I'm fine with a 1-2 year fall from grace (like 98-00) to reload for another 10-12 year run.
Aaron Jones was a Defensive End for the Steelers....When Yancey left via FA, the Steelers drafted Ward and Troy Edwards the following 2 years.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Aaron Jones was a Defensive End for the Steelers....When Yancey left via FA, the Steelers drafted Ward and Troy Edwards the following 2 years.
Are you implying Darren Perry wasn't a capable 3-4 DE???
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Franchise QBs don't go on trees. If we're going to blow it up and start over after wasting two seasons, may as well trade Ben while his value is high.
great point but if you have great quarterback play you have a chance to win a super bowl. its a quarterback driven league not a defensive driven league.

we are closer to being a championship offense then championship defense because we have Ben.

Our OL is showing proimise and is young so if they can keep Ben upright that window expands.

We will draft a RB and replace Wallace so we will be fine on offense.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Aaron Jones was a Defensive End for the Steelers....When Yancey left via FA, the Steelers drafted Ward and Troy Edwards the following 2 years.
yes i missed on Thigpen i meant GARY Jones. You get my point, we were able to replace players.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
NSMaster56
Team Owner
 
NSMaster56's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 2,716
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23979
Thanks: 6,056
Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,519 Posts
Default Re: I'm OK with purging our aging/underproducing Stars

'Purging' would make more sense if the Steelers hadn't whiffed on so many picks the last 3-5 years.

Because of the 'misses', the Steelers will be forced to keep a few of the aged vets.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts