Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #201
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandsome08 View Post
How would people feel about drafting Jonathan Cooper? He is the #2 ranked guard behind Warmack.
He'd solidify the interior for years with Pouncey and DeCastro.
No way. We used enough first and second round picks on our offensive line recently. I gurentee we don't use another regardless of who is available
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #202
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,829 Times in 2,965 Posts

Ed: Steelers Swung, Missed on OLBs in First Round

WEDNESDAY, 23 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- YOU: I know you're not a fan of draft talk this early in the year, and neither am I -

This is not a player specific question - It's more of a position specific question.

Let's say Harrison refuses to take a paycut and is cut, and they lose Wallace to free agency -

Sitting at 17, they have a choice between a stud OLB and a stud WR (say they have them rated 1a and 1b on their board). Who do they take? I guess I should just have asked "which position is more important to the Steelers - OLB or WR"? And could they draft a DE and convert him to DE a la Woodley?

ME: They’ve been drafting defensive ends and converting them to outside linebackers for 30 years. It’s almost the only way to get a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would say the stud OLB would be far more preferable to the stud WR at No. 17. Here comes the interesting part: The Steelers have not drafted someone on the first round to play outside linebacker in the past 21 years. The last time they did so, it was a disaster picking defensive end Huey Richardson of Florida No. 1 in 1991. Since that time, they have drafted four wide receivers on the first round and two tight ends. They also failed miserably drafting another defensive end to play outside linebacker when they took Aaron Jones of Eastern Kentucky No. 1 in 1988. The only outside linebacker the Steelers drafted on the first round who had any success since Chuck Noll took over as coach in 1969 until now was Robin Cole in 1977.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...in-first-round
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #203
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,163 Times in 5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Ed: Steelers Swung, Missed on OLBs in First Round

WEDNESDAY, 23 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- YOU: I know you're not a fan of draft talk this early in the year, and neither am I -

This is not a player specific question - It's more of a position specific question.

Let's say Harrison refuses to take a paycut and is cut, and they lose Wallace to free agency -

Sitting at 17, they have a choice between a stud OLB and a stud WR (say they have them rated 1a and 1b on their board). Who do they take? I guess I should just have asked "which position is more important to the Steelers - OLB or WR"? And could they draft a DE and convert him to DE a la Woodley?

ME: They’ve been drafting defensive ends and converting them to outside linebackers for 30 years. It’s almost the only way to get a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would say the stud OLB would be far more preferable to the stud WR at No. 17. Here comes the interesting part: The Steelers have not drafted someone on the first round to play outside linebacker in the past 21 years. The last time they did so, it was a disaster picking defensive end Huey Richardson of Florida No. 1 in 1991. Since that time, they have drafted four wide receivers on the first round and two tight ends. They also failed miserably drafting another defensive end to play outside linebacker when they took Aaron Jones of Eastern Kentucky No. 1 in 1988. The only outside linebacker the Steelers drafted on the first round who had any success since Chuck Noll took over as coach in 1969 until now was Robin Cole in 1977.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...in-first-round
But, in R2... they are money!!!

Lambert
Kirkland
Brown
Bell
Worilds... uh... hmmm.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #204
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
But, in R2... they are money!!!

Lambert
Kirkland
Brown
Bell
Worilds... uh... hmmm.
I am not giving up on Worlids, I think he has improved every year with us. With that being said, i still want Ansah. The Steelers have always been notorious for drafting LB's, even if they are set. The more the merrier.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #205
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
No way. We used enough first and second round picks on our offensive line recently. I gurentee we don't use another regardless of who is available
So Ur okay with a OL of Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams protecting BB?
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #206
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Every single guy on that line except Colon is a first or second round guy that is still developing and seemingly getting better ever single game. So, yes, I'm happy with that line. Unless someone like Jonathan Cooper falls to us in the second round, no high picks should be spent on an already revamped OLine.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #207
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
Protecting BB is one thing but piss poor run blocking is another. Sorry but I'm not as thrilled about this offensive line as some. I'd like to see Beechum given a shot to start,he looked better than DD
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #208
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Protecting BB is one thing but piss poor run blocking is another. Sorry but I'm not as thrilled about this offensive line as some. I'd like to see Beechum given a shot to start,he looked better than DD
Oh give me a break. You can't be serious. DeCastro was working on a bum knee and was still playing like an absolute stud. He was pulling and protecting well. Granted, struggled against Geno Atkins, but Atkins is arguably the best DT in the entire league and expecting a rookie guard to perform well after just coming off of a serious ACL injury and to hold down the guard spot against someone of Atkins' caliber is ridiculous.

DeCastro looked like a stud in the limited amount of time we got to see him play. Beachum played well at RT and is an absolute surprise, but to say he outplayed DeCastro is a joke.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #209
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Oh give me a break. You can't be serious. DeCastro was working on a bum knee and was still playing like an absolute stud. He was pulling and protecting well. Granted, struggled against Geno Atkins, but Atkins is arguably the best DT in the entire league and expecting a rookie guard to perform well after just coming off of a serious ACL injury and to hold down the guard spot against someone of Atkins' caliber is ridiculous.

DeCastro looked like a stud in the limited amount of time we got to see him play. Beachum played well at RT and is an absolute surprise, but to say he outplayed DeCastro is a joke.
It didn't look like a joke to me.Alot of praise was given to Beechum and he deserved it. Who knows what the future holds for DD hopefully a great one but DD was bowled over on back to back plays that led to BB getting sacked. DD played like a rookie not a stud, you must be mistaken
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #210
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,163 Times in 5,971 Posts

Quote:
Yes.

Pouncey, DD, Adams, & Gilbert have yet to play together. And, they are young. I'd like to see how they work as a unit...

And, while I'm a Homer (very optimistic without much proof), the odds are that they'll be extremely good. Pouncey we know is good. DD played hot & cold as a ROOKIE: got eaten up by Atkins, but also blew a hole the size of a refrigerator through the defense on a goal-line TD run. Gilbert is Starks part II: okay at RT, good at LT. And, Adams was coming on stronger & stronger (as a ROOKIE), until the injury.

Lastly, The Colon (& his false starts) is gone. Beachum will be the starting LG... a move about which I'm excited.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote