Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,588 Times in 4,105 Posts
Default Jets Entertaining Trading Darrelle Revis

Jets owner Woody Johnson to explore trading Darrelle Revis

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

The New York Jets, fresh off an exhaustive hunt for new general manager John Idzik, will explore options to deal star corner Darrelle Revis this offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Revis, whose contract voids after the 2014 season, is set to earn $6 million in 2013 (between salary and bonuses), and owner Woody Johnson has strong reservations about the ability to extend Revis's deal, the sources said. Johnson has expressed his desire to attempt to land value for Revis now, rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent a year from now, most likely seeking as much draft-pick compensation for him as possible.

The Jets are very much in transition mode, they have cap issues moving forward and are trying to embark on a rebuilding processafter firing former long-time general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Revis, who missed almost all of last season after suffering a torn ACL, engaged in a long holdout in 2010 that resulted in a contract extension that was more of a Band-Aid than anything else.

Revis signed a seven-year deal then that voids to a four-year pact, thus making him an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The deal also precludes him being hit with the franchise tag or any other such mechanism. Johnson has made it very clear he would like to pursue a means to reap rewards for Revis now, sources said, and it is likely to be an immediate part of Idzik's initial job duties.

Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the game. And with pass rusher Mario Williams earning$60 million guaranteedfrom Buffalo a year ago, Johnson understands how financially restrictive it would be to retain him. His team desperately needs young, cheap, impact players to help reposition the team for the future, with 2013 a year of transition.

Revis is the only real trading chip that he has. Knee injury or not, there would be no shortage of teams interested in securing his services and no shortage of rebuilding teams sitting on massive cap space in 2013. The Jets are also likely to be hard-pressed to retain free agents like tight end Dustin Keller, running back Shonn Greene and defensive tackle Mike DeVito, though they will make a push to retain DeVito, the sources said.

Getting Revis signed to an extension would be a possibility to trying to remedy this situation, but the sources said Johnson has established his desire to move him if he can secure fair value in exchange.

Dealing Revis would incur a $9 million cap hit due to some option-bonus prorations involved in the contract -- thus Revis would count an additional $3 million against the cap than he is currently scheduled to -- but the Jets could navigate that relatively easily according to sources familiar with their cap situation, via a restructuring or by releasing a veteran. The team is using 2013 as a year for cap and budgetary housecleaning, to get situated for the future. It stands to reason that come 2014, both Revis and head coach Rex Ryan, are gone.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ja...darrelle-revis

-- 2013 Second, Fourth and our 2014 Fourth round picks to the Jets with Ta'amu and Worilds for Revis. Fair?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,253 Times in 3,484 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Jets Entertaining Trading Darrelle Revis

Revis' contract is huge. I don't know the exact numbers, but him and Sanchez are two of the higher paid players in the NFL or at least they were a year ago.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Revis' contract is huge. I don't know the exact numbers, but him and Sanchez are two of the higher paid players in the NFL or at least they were a year ago.
His 2013 cap hit is 6 million. Or, less than what Keenan Lewis was asking for.

edit -- I'm seeing the cap hit being 6 million and I'm seeing it being 9 million. Either way, he's less than what Mike Wallace is asking for. Fuck, I'd let Troy go if we had a legitimate shot at getting Revis. That means we can let Lewis walk and have Allen develop behind Revis and Taylor, and eventually take over for Taylor.

Revis is only 27 years old and is easily the best CB in the NFL. I'd be willing to make this trade and take on his contract, but I very much doubt the Steelers would be willing to.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,253 Times in 3,484 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
His 2013 cap hit is 6 million. Or, less than what Keenan Lewis was asking for.

edit -- I'm seeing the cap hit being 6 million and I'm seeing it being 9 million. Either way, he's less than what Mike Wallace is asking for. Fuck, I'd let Troy go if we had a legitimate shot at getting Revis. That means we can let Lewis walk and have Allen develop behind Revis and Taylor, and eventually take over for Taylor.

Revis is only 27 years old and is easily the best CB in the NFL. I'd be willing to make this trade and take on his contract, but I very much doubt the Steelers would be willing to.
yeah, I've been reading numbers all over the place too. I've seen he averages 11.5 million a season, rumors last offseason were he's looking for 16 million a season too.

ah-looks like a lot of extra in bonus money. 25 million last year alone
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
yeah, I've been reading numbers all over the place too. I've seen he averages 11.5 million a season, rumors last offseason were he's looking for 16 million a season too.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-...arrelle-revis/

This is a pretty accurate site, or at least from what I've experienced. If he is looking for 16 million a year, I don't know if there's any team that would pay him that. I'd be more than willing to sign him to a 5 year / 50 million dollar deal though - the same one they were going to give Wallace.

I just don't know if they'd accept anything other than a first rounder, though. I wouldn't be terribly upset if we gave up our 17th pick for him, assuming he was locked up long term.

To Jets:

2013 17th Overall Pick
2013 113th Overall Pick (4th Round)
2014 Fourth Round Pick

To Steelers:

Darrelle Revis with a 5 year / 52.5 - 55 million dollar deal
2014 6th Round Pick
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (01-24-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,131 Times in 2,630 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

can't afford
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
can't afford
If his cap hit really is only 6 million, that's less than what Lewis' would be. We also have Omar Khan on our management staff and we could ultimately let him work his cap magic and get him for a reasonable cap hit.