Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,853 Times in 9,337 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Ravens front office overtakes Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Spence has decent speed and quickness. He just lacks the height and size. With his injury I think there is some question if he comes back to 100%.

The thing that I find amusing is that some have Arthur Brown slated for the Steelers, but he is basically a similar player as Spence. If Spence can get healthy, he should pair up with Timmons inside.
Yea, that's essential what I was saying: he's not a speed-size guy and/or the physical specimen that Patrick Willis is... Spence is simply a great player.

Using my original analogy: Hines Ward was not the speed-size/physical specimen that Megatron is, but Hines was simply a great player. (Make sense?)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Ozzie Newsome has been doing a great job there for years. Look at the collection of talent and how they manage to draft and handle the cap.

Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Kruger, Ray Rice, Boldin, Vontae Leach, .....and the line in front of Flacco of Mckinnie, Oher, Yanda, Birk.

I would say the Ravens front office has been out doing the Steelers for some time now. Until the past 2 seasons the Steelers have been out performing the Rats on the field though. Stuff happens.
really ? it took ozzie quite a few years to find a legit group of guys to throw the ball to.
receivers were to oz as oline were to colbert... always hoping to find a day 2 draft bargain instead of paying the full price to fill the huge hole in the roster
besides mark clayton i don't think he'd spent a top 2 pick on a receiver for 10 years.
i believe he thought he'd get 20 or 30 years outta heap and mason.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
I beg to differ.

- McKinnie at LT is better than Starks and we should have gone after him.
-Oher at the other OT is a great pass protector and a mauler in run game.
-Osemele was a great draft pick- a guy that can play inside or RT
-Birk is a solid veteran, former pro bowler and centers that line well
-Yanda is reliable at guard and somebody we could have drafted in 2007 instead of Matt Spaeth.

If you look at how they protected vs the Broncos and Patriots, you would see they are a very good O line and maybe a top 10 unit.
"When Starks is on the field, his play could be considered up and down. He took 483 pass blocking snaps at left tackle in 2011 and allowed six sacks, seven QB hits and 20 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus." Max Starks 2011.

"Pittsburgh Steelers LT Max Starks has played every offensive snap this season and allowed only 3.5 sacks." Max Starks 2012.

"McKinnie struggled at times in run blocking and was uneven in pass protection. He gave up nearly one-third of the Ravens' sacks (8.5 out of 31)." Bryant McKinnie 2011.

McKinnie dressed for all 16 games but did not start any in 2012 so you can't compare the two this season.

Max Starks cost 890 000 against the cap - McKinnie cost 4.2 million in 2012. That's a lot of money for sitting on the bench. I would rather have Max Starks personally.

Ray Rice ran for 40 yards on 20 carries in the first game vs the Steelers. That's not very good. Ravens gave up 5 sacks in the two games against the Steelers. Harrison's strip sack in the second game was a crucial turning point.

The Ravens offensive line is decent but I don't think it is special by any means.

Baltimore was 14th in the NFL in adjusted sack rate. Pittsburgh was 15th and I know that OL has not been special. Baltimore surrendered more sacks than the Steelers in 2012.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
"When Starks is on the field, his play could be considered up and down. He took 483 pass blocking snaps at left tackle in 2011 and allowed six sacks, seven QB hits and 20 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus." Max Starks 2011.

"Pittsburgh Steelers LT Max Starks has played every offensive snap this season and allowed only 3.5 sacks." Max Starks 2012.

"McKinnie struggled at times in run blocking and was uneven in pass protection. He gave up nearly one-third of the Ravens' sacks (8.5 out of 31)." Bryant McKinnie 2011.

McKinnie dressed for all 16 games but did not start any in 2012 so you can't compare the two this season.

Max Starks cost 890 000 against the cap - McKinnie cost 4.2 million in 2012. That's a lot of money for sitting on the bench. I would rather have Max Starks personally.

Ray Rice ran for 40 yards on 20 carries in the first game vs the Steelers. That's not very good. Ravens gave up 5 sacks in the two games against the Steelers. Harrison's strip sack in the second game was a crucial turning point.

The Ravens offensive line is decent but I don't think it is special by any means.

Baltimore was 14th in the NFL in adjusted sack rate. Pittsburgh was 15th and I know that OL has not been special. Baltimore surrendered more sacks than the Steelers in 2012.
So Haley's short passing game yielded less sacks and Flacco going deep to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones might have got him sacked more. Watch McKinnie and Oher handle rushers compared to the Steelers OT's. Osemele is going to be good for a long time and Yanda has been solid since 2007.

Nothing special, but very talented Ravens O line and efficient IMO.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
So Haley's short passing game yielded less sacks and Flacco going deep to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones might have got him sacked more. Watch McKinnie and Oher handle rushers compared to the Steelers OT's. Osemele is going to be good for a long time and Yanda has been solid since 2007.

Nothing special, but very talented Ravens O line and efficient IMO.
Ravens catches in 2012 Boldin 65, Rice 61, Pitta 61, Smith 49, Jones 30. The Ravens offense (and every other NFL offense) throws a lot more short passes than Haley detractors would like to admit.

The Steelers will have a chance to sign McKinnie- the Ravens aren't going to keep a 4 million dollar backup and I'm sure some team will take a chance on him based on the strength of 2 playoff games (provided he shuts down Aldon Smith).

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

No they didn't.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2013), teegre (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Ravens catches in 2012 Boldin 65, Rice 61, Pitta 61, Smith 49, Jones 30. The Ravens offense (and every other NFL offense) throws a lot more short passes than Haley detractors would like to admit.

The Steelers will have a chance to sign McKinnie- the Ravens aren't going to keep a 4 million dollar backup and I'm sure some team will take a chance on him based on the strength of 2 playoff games (provided he shuts down Aldon Smith).
So you are saying that the Ravens dont throw the ball on deeper patterns more often that the Steelers do? You are saying that the Steelers O line is just as good, if not better than the Ravens?

I have no Idea what you are trying to assert, other than you can find statistics to contradict anything that other posters say here.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,100 Times in 945 Posts

I knew this period would come. This team is "really" transitioning from Cowher's group of players and culture to Tomlin's. Time for coach T to step up so now and thus allowing us to see what he's really made of.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

They've been ahead for some time. The only noticeable advantage we had was Ben over Flacco. That gap has narrowed.

Good thing about this Super Bowl is that Rooney has to suck on either SF tying his org in trophies, or his top rival winning one.

Either way it should motivate him back to football and out of politics for a while. Hopefully.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote